Post-Game Talk: Who needs the playoffs anyways? 5-3 Capitals

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
More like 7-8 wins in a row. I don't believe that any of the teams ahead of us will have a stretch like the Jets November.

and none of us thought the Jets would have a stretch like we've had this November, or a start like we had last year, or the hot streak we had last year....

sometimes ya gotta let the players play the game and dictate the record. no guessing or crying or begging for a tank. they're not far out of the playoffs. go on a few hot streaks and you're back.

Hutchinson looked weak yesterday straight from the getgo. watching the 1st period Caps' PP and it was obvious that it was a matter of time before Ovie would score. Hutch was biting too far to the right wing when Ovie, the obvious target, was set up on the left. Ovie's goal should have been saved.

the D has, for this year, been the enigma. so bloody talented but looking so confused in all aspects of the game. that has to straighten out. Thought Myers had a very good game, though.

Ladd's been really bloody annoying this year. Lowry - hope kid didn't let last season get to his head. Ehlers is being underutilized and has disappeared for most of the games.

but...tinker with a few things and you're looking the way they did at the beginning of season when they were power ranked as high as 8 in the league. remember those days? anyone?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Some people say that EVERY time we lose. We gave up 15 SOG in the 1st period alone. Goaltending didn't win that game for us but it didn't lose it either.

The goaltending just hasn't been good enough. Hutch seems to give up an early goal every game he plays and one softie. Last night was pretty typical

How many games have our goaltenders stolen this year? One?

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
This team 'identity' of being hard hitting, tough and heavy isn't working out so well. It's causing us to take too many penalties and our PK isn't good enough to keep us in the game. That 'identity' also requires us to play guys like Stuart, Thorburn and Peluso (Maybe add Lowry and yes, even Buff, into that group as well).

Replace those players (or at least some of them) with players who can actually play hockey, then change our 'identity' to fast, skilled and disciplined. Watch us win games.

We have a quite a few players that are being misused because of clinging to this strategy. We even have one in the AHL now that could likely help us if he wasn't miscast in the NHL.

If we need some toughness, then try to keep it to one line and play three lines of quick, skilled hockey. I'm getting tired of this 'look at how big and tough we are'. It doesn't win games in today's NHL.

Just play some good hockey and let the other teams take penalties trying to keep up. Toughness is fine, as long as you worry more about the puck and the play than hitting.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
This team 'identity' of being hard hitting, tough and heavy isn't working out so well. It's causing us to take too many penalties and our PK isn't good enough to keep us in the game. That 'identity' also requires us to play guys like Stuart, Thorburn and Peluso (Maybe add Lowry and yes, even Buff, into that group as well).

Replace those players (or at least some of them) with players who can actually play hockey, then change our 'identity' to fast, skilled and disciplined. Watch us win games.

We have a quite a few players that are being misused because of clinging to this strategy. We even have one in the AHL now that could likely help us if he wasn't miscast in the NHL.

If we need some toughness, then try to keep it to one line and play three lines of quick, skilled hockey. I'm getting tired of this 'look at how big and tough we are'. It doesn't win games in today's NHL.

Just play some good hockey and let the other teams take penalties trying to keep up. Toughness is fine, as long as you worry more about the puck and the play than hitting.
Spot on. Playing too aggressive isn't smart and comes with cost of energy. The low energy increases the lack of discipline, more mistakes and penalties.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I can't believe how many people are bailing on the Jets already.

I don't think it is really representative of that many people; it is just that it appears there is a specific subsect of people that only come out to offer their opinion when things are going difficultly for the club. Practically half of the people currently droning on and on (and on and on) about how bad things supposedly are... barely have anything to say when things are going well.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I can't believe how many people are bailing on the Jets already.

Depends on what you mean by 'bailing'. Expressing that the team is not going to make the playoffs, and that they currently don't deserve to, and that changes need to be made, and that they're just bad? That's just being a normal fan.

I think 'Bailing' is 'I'm not going to follow this team any more/switch teams/not going to follow hockey'. Voicing our displeasure is often indicative we're still emotionally invested, and will continue to be.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Depends on what you mean by 'bailing'. Expressing that the team is not going to make the playoffs, and that they currently don't deserve to, and that changes need to be made, and that they're just bad? That's just being a normal fan.

I think 'Bailing' is 'I'm not going to follow this team any more/switch teams/not going to follow hockey'. Voicing our displeasure is often indicative we're still emotionally invested, and will continue to be.

Another measure is the number of tickets available on Seat Exchange. Where you would see zero for a Leafs game in the past there are, at the moment, 51 tickets available.

For the Columbus game? Upwards of 500 tickets available.

That's worrisome.

m.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Another measure is the number of tickets available on Seat Exchange. Where you would see zero for a Leafs game in the past there are, at the moment, 51 tickets available.

For the Columbus game? Upwards of 500 tickets available.

That's worrisome.

m.

Actually that's good, it's about time, a little push back from the fans might force TNSE to do more in icing a competitive team.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I don't think it is really representative of that many people; it is just that it appears there is a specific subsect of people that only come out to offer their opinion when things are going difficultly for the club. Practically half of the people currently droning on and on (and on and on) about how bad things supposedly are... barely have anything to say when things are going well.

I'm a person who is here all the time and who happily comments on things that are going well...and I think things are definitely going more than "supposedly" badly right now. I really don't think we get a sniff of the playoffs this season and I suspect this may end up being the worst season of Jets 2.0 so far. But I'm still a fan...

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

I don't know Gump, seems to me a lot more people were commenting after Jets losses in the first couple of seasons of Jets 2.0, the PGT's would be 12 pages long an hour after a loss, we're lucky to get 5 pages now, fans are becoming apathetic, losing and no hope for the future will do that.

TNSE thought they could get away with a team of younger lower paid players regardless if they were as good as the players they were replacing. Guys like Lowry and Burmi come cheap and that's why they are here, not because they are good talents, they're not!

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Actually that's good, it's about time, a little push back from the fans might force TNSE to do more in icing a competitive team.

It'd be a delayed push though. It's the STH's who take the hit for the term of their contracts and TN only feels it if non-renewals happen.

Frankly I'd like to see the media do more to hold TN to account. The honeymoon's over - why not ask the tough questions?

m.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
It'd be a delayed push though. It's the STH's who take the hit for the term of their contracts and TN only feels it if non-renewals happen.

Frankly I'd like to see the media do more to hold TN to account. The honeymoon's over - why not ask the tough questions?

m.

I agree , when was the last local interview with Chevy ? Hey Lawless enough of the CFL already , go and interview Chevy and ask real questions , not your normal softies you ask Chevy .... when you actually get a interview . :shakehead Or how about you interview Chipman , Naa just go and talk about the CFL . :shakehead

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I agree , when was the last local interview with Chevy ? Hey Lawless enough of the CFL already , go and interview Chevy and ask real questions , not your normal softies you ask Chevy .... when you actually get a interview . :shakehead Or how about you interview Chipman , Naa just go and talk about the CFL . :shakehead

Or send Sara Orlesky. Then we can hear such piercing interrogations as "What does Chris Thorburn add to the team?"

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I for sure would love to see the alternate universe in which he stayed the GM of this franchise.

I know you have no vested interest in this aspect, but given the likelihood that this alternate universe has them staying in Atlanta, I would vote thumbs down on this sci-fi tale. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad