Prospect Info: Who is the Sens #10 Prospect at the moment?

Who is the Sens #10 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Chlapik and Abramov had different roles in Belleville this year. I dont see a legitimate argument to say that one year is a more accurate depiction of these two players other than if you want to cherry pick to prove a point. They have a very similar body of work in the AHL, its also not as easy to produce when you keep going up and down playing with different players every game. Chlapik see's the ice really well and has a higher end hockey IQ than Abramov. Abramov has better puck skills and shot, they are very different stylistically. I dont mind if people like Abramov more, he is flashier so I can see the appeal however to suggest he is a sure fire better prospect isnt very accurate. Abramov is going to have to improve a significant amount to be a regular player in the NHL, he isnt going to play anywhere but the top 6 he doesnt have the defensive IQ to play a bottom 6 role. I dont see how Abramov makes the sens tbh, they only have 4 top 6 winger spots and they already have Tkachuk plus players like Brown, Formenton, Batherson, White, Norris, Duclair and whoever they draft this year plus people think Balcers is a better prospect. I just dont see how he gets there unless he really really start to score alot more than he already is.
They had different roles because the team puts them in roles they anticipate the player to be in when they reach the nhl, Mann talked about this in a radio spot.

Also, yes, imo Abramov's production this year is more relevant than his career average as he showed a giant leap this year compared to his AHL rookie year, likely in part because his role changed. This isn't cherry picking, it's acknowleging that prospects improve year to year.

You are right that Abramov might be crowded out of a spot, but imo his biggest challenge will be staying healthy at his size with his style. He broke his finger and was ice cold the first 10 games after the injury was made public. He plays through traffic so bumps and bruises are going to happen.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They had different roles because the team puts them in roles they anticipate the player to be in when they reach the nhl, Mann talked about this in a radio spot.

Also, yes, imo Abramov's production this year is more relevant than his career average as he showed a giant leap this year compared to his AHL rookie year, likely in part because his role changed. This isn't cherry picking, it's acknowleging that prospects improve year to year.

You are right that Abramov might be crowded out of a spot, but imo his biggest challenge will be staying healthy at his size with his style. He broke his finger and was ice cold the first 10 games after the injury was made public. He plays through traffic so bumps and bruises are going to happen.
They already had Norris and Brown in the top two center spots so Chlapik played on the third line. Abramov was used in an offensive role in the top 6. I dont agree at all its accurate to say Abramov projects to be the better offensive player based on such a small sample size. While development isnt linear, they certainly werent put in the same position to succeed from an offensive stand point last year in Belleville.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
They already had Norris and Brown in the top two center spots so Chlapik played on the third line. Abramov was used in an offensive role in the top 6. I dont agree at all its accurate to say Abramov projects to be the better offensive player based on such a small sample size. While development isnt linear, they certainly werent put in the same position to succeed from an offensive stand point last year in Belleville.

I think with Abramov the debate is whether he can succeed in an offensive role in the NHL. With Chlapik I don't think that is even part of the debate. He's a bottom 6er. I think Chlapik will carve out a decent bottom 6 NHL role for a variety of reasons: he's physical, has a bit of nasty to him, he can PK and he can play both centre and wing. I think if Abramov makes the NHL and carves out a career, there's no question to me that his career NHL numbers will be better. Chlapik to me will be a low offensive ceiling but effective NHLer and have a decent career for a guy in that role. Abramov is a guy with a thin chance at becoming an NHL point producer, he's most likley to end up in a euro league imo.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Everyone sleeping on Zub.

I also think people are sleeping on Zub. We are now really in to the "prospect" range of our pool and at this point the discussion is whether guys will become NHLers. I think Zub will be a full timer next year. He's played in the K, the Olympics, world championships and by all accounts had a bit of a breakout year last year...the only issue with him will be adapting to that smaller ice

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well they didn't have Norris in Belleville blocking him the year before when Chlapik was the same age as Abramov is this year.

Nobody is projecting Abramov to be better offensively on a small sample, he has shown more since they were in the Q. His career average pts per game in the Q is sgnificantly higher than Chlapik's peak year. If anything, one could argue you are allowing the small sample of Abramov last year, a season in which he was coming off offseason wrist surgery, to skew his career which overall has been more promising imo from purely an offensive production standpoint.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Y’all been sleeping on Abramov. I can’t see Balcer be in front of him.I’ve watch him for 3 years in Gatineau and he is so talented. Very good hand, Good Vision and elite speed. He will be a top 6 foward in the NHL if it’s not in Ottawa it will be somewhere else. I expect him to dominate the AHL this year. The only thing with him is that he need to get bigger and work harder. He can be invisible some times but when he’s engage, he’s dominant!

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Id be shocked if Abramov plays more NHL games than Chlapik.

Chlapik:
146 AHL games and has 88 points. .60 PPG

Abramov
125 AHL games and has 74 points. .59 PPG

Chlapik plays center and wing, is way more physical game and is a WAY better defensive player while being 3 inches taller and 15 pounds heavier. He was the higher pick and has earned way more NHL games than Abramov, it simply doesnt make sense that Abramov is beating him let alone crushing him.

I usually agree with you on scouting report, but on that one, I disagree. Abramov is wayyyyyyy more talented and got way more upside than Chlapik.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think with Abramov the debate is whether he can succeed in an offensive role in the NHL. With Chlapik I don't think that is even part of the debate. He's a bottom 6er. I think Chlapik will carve out a decent bottom 6 NHL role for a variety of reasons: he's physical, has a bit of nasty to him, he can PK and he can play both centre and wing. I think if Abramov makes the NHL and carves out a career, there's no question to me that his career NHL numbers will be better. Chlapik to me will be a low offensive ceiling but effective NHLer and have a decent career for a guy in that role. Abramov is a guy with a thin chance at becoming an NHL point producer, he's most likley to end up in a euro league imo.

very thin

Reactions: bert

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Feel shame for Joey ... very deflating , discouraging, depressing , going to be hard to lift the guy's spirits up after this

Reactions: bert

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Id be shocked if Abramov plays more NHL games than Chlapik.

Chlapik:
146 AHL games and has 88 points. .60 PPG

Abramov
125 AHL games and has 74 points. .59 PPG

Chlapik plays center and wing, is way more physical game and is a WAY better defensive player while being 3 inches taller and 15 pounds heavier. He was the higher pick and has earned way more NHL games than Abramov, it simply doesnt make sense that Abramov is beating him let alone crushing him.

Chlapik plays a much more simple game yet versatile due to his position flexibility. And if you project these players to be bottom 6 forwards, I can see how that would be preferred. Abramov was always viewed as a less sure thing, but had the higher ceiling. If you look at their junior numbers:

Chlapik:
173 QMJHL games and has 220 points. 1.27 PPG

Abramov
185 QMJHL games and has 301 points. 1.63 PPG (averaged 100 points/szn over 3 seasons!)

If either of these players could crack a top 6, I'd put my money on abramov. He's got a great offensive tool kit, I found that he was doing a lot of the little things right in Belleville last season. He was a great fore-checker, causing turnovers and creating scoring chances. He's small but would go to the dirty areas in front, he's got great hands in tight, vision and puck distribution. in 18/19 he had a tough transition to pro but I think he's worked out the kinks. Abramov got sent down and blackballed after a really bad turn over in his 2nd game of 2 this season with the sens. That and the organization prefers other wingers over him, pushing him further down the depth chart. Will likely be a numbers casualty. He might not get another chance with the sens, but he's a player that I would gladly bet on.

Reactions: Xspyrit and bert

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Abramov would be voted higher if he was a more certain thing. He has a top-6 forward skillset but he's not as a sure thing as guys like Norris, Batherson and Formenton and even Balcers. That's why he will be voted #10 or #11 in the current pool, and after the draft he won't even be top-15. He would be considered a top prospect in several other pools.

It's not an insult to Daccord at all if this is a battle. Even if you have faith in Daccord, a goalie doesn't have the same value as a skater. They never have as much value in trades and are even more of a crapshoot than any other type of prospect.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Abramov would be voted higher if he was a more certain thing. He has a top-6 forward skillset but he's not as a sure thing as guys like Norris, Batherson and Formenton and even Balcers. That's why he will be voted #10 or #11 in the current pool, and after the draft he won't even be top-15. He would be considered a top prospect in several other pools.

It's not an insult to Daccord at all if this is a battle. Even if you have faith in Daccord, a goalie doesn't have the same value as a skater. They never have as much value in trades and are even more of a crapshoot than any other type of prospect.

When you say top do you mean top 5?

If you had to trade one player lets say equal value return who would you trade?

I would trade Abramov in a heart beat.. not because he isn't a nice little offensive player.. its the potential that Daccord showed.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
When you say top do you mean top 5?

If you had to trade one player lets say equal value return who would you trade?

I would trade Abramov in a heart beat.. not because he isn't a nice little offensive player.. its the potential that Daccord showed.

Not necessarily. It's just words, not a mathematical formula nor an exact science

I mean, the portion of a pool that is considered among the team's best prospects. If we didn't acquire Norris, Brannstrom, JBD, Thomson and Balcers in a major firesale, Abramov would currently be ranked #5 or #6, so that would be a top prospect in our organization. It could be top-5, it could be top-8, it could be top-12 (like us at the moment) it depends, like I said not an exact mathematical formula

Abramov is still a legit NHL prospect. 18 goals, 23 assists in 51 games in his 2nd pro season, looked good in pre-season and showed some glimpses in his call-ups. Teared the Q apart as a teenager

I am a MUCH bigger fan of Daccord that I am of Abramov, like it's not even close, but I do recognize Abramov's skillset and know it's very well possible that he continues to progress enough to be a significant NHL player (on the Sens or elsewhere), or that he just breakout and becomes good. I'm not a firm believer that he will do it but that's just my opinion, doesn't change the fact of how good of a prospect he is now. I like Daccord chances better, I have a good feeling this kid will succeed but in terms of BPA and prospect value, I vote Abramov just before.

EDIT : If I decide, I don't trade prospects until they gain value or I know what we have, or if it is part of a package to acquire a great young player (ex : Sergachev). But to answer the question, I don't vote in these polls based on my preferences.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matsens15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad