Prospect Info: Who is the Sens #10 Prospect at the moment?

Who is the Sens #10 Prospect at the moment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020

1- Drake Batherson (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #1)
2- Josh Norris (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #2)
3- Erik Brannstrom (Prospect Info: - Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #3)
4- Logan Brown (Prospect Info: - Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #4)
5- Jacob Bernard-Docker (Prospect Info: - Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #5)
6- Alex Formenton (Prospect Info: - Prospect Info: Sens Board Prospects Ranking 2020 #6)
7- Shane Pinto (Prospect Info: - Who is the Sens #7 Prospect at the moment?)
8- Lassi Thomson (Prospect Info: - Who is the Sens #8 Prospect at the moment?)
9- Rudolfs Balcers (Prospect Info: - Who is the Sens #9 Prospect at the moment?)

Tell me who I should add to the poll options

As we have been doing since 2004, we are going to use the HF criterias for prospect eligibility (less than 65 NHL games and under 25 y/o)

NHL Prospect Criteria - Hockey's Future

Players still in the organization who graduated since last year :

Christian Wolanin turned 25 y/o
Marcus Högberg turned 25 y/o
Nick Paul turned 25 y/o
Christian Jaros has 76 NHL games
Jayce Hawryluk has 68 NHL games

Remember to vote based on all factors and not just NHL readiness. Overall skillset, hockey IQ, upside potential vs floor, age, stats, skating ability, array of shots, leadership qualities, size/strenght, etc

Personally, I always ask myself, who would I draft BPA in priority among these players?

Prospects to be added :

Jonny Tychonick
Olle Alsing
Max Lajoie
Jakov Novak
Jonathan Aspirot
Jean-Christophe Beaudin
Andreas Englund

And the longshots that won't probably get ranked (as usual we won't get many votes at that stage)

Christopher Wilkie
Michael Carcone
Viktor Lodin
Luke Loheit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah, if you vote Daccord at this stage is you have a strong belief he will be a legit NHL goalie for years. I'm always a bit more patient for voting goalies bc they are such a crapshoot when young and there's a very limited number of jobs

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I went with Zub. Just a hunch but i think he might be a nice piece.

Also probably the only guy left guaranteed to start with the big club this year

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I went with Daccord at #9 too simply because he has taken his game to the next level at every stage thus far. No reason to think that he cannot elevate his game one more time to be a full time NHL goalie in the near future.

My top 10 is actually different than the consensus as I have:

1. Norris
2. Batherson
3. Brannstrom
5. Brown
6. Pinto
7. Formenton
8. Bernard-Docker
9. Daccord
10. Thomson

Reactions: edguy

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I went with Daccord at #9 too simply because he has taken his game to the next level at every stage thus far. No reason to think that he cannot elevate his game one more time to be a full time NHL goalie in the near future.

1. Norris
2. Batherson
3. Brannstrom
5. Brown
6. Pinto
7. Formenton
8. Bernard-Docker
9. Daccord
10. Thomson

Can't wait for the big reveal on who you have at 4 :sarcasm:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

1. Norris
2. Batherson
3. Brannstrom
5. Brown
6. Pinto
7. Formenton
8. Bernard-Docker
9. Daccord
10. Thomson

You know I was just wondering this very thing

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I went with Zub. Just a hunch but i think he might be a nice piece.

Also probably the only guy left guaranteed to start with the big club this year

I have read a lot of praise for Zub, seems pretty well regarded in the KHL so it's all a matter of transition to NA. People seem to think he's likely to translate well. I wanted to vote him #11.

Couldn't pass on Abramov for how he looked in pre-season and then in the AHL (and was damn impressive in the QHJML). Even if he's not a blue chipper, he has intriguing potential. Seriously, if his play without the puck can improve eough, he's a player

But can see arguments made for all 3 of Abramov, Daccord and Zub. Those guys should go 10-11-12

1. Norris
2. Batherson
3. Brannstrom
5. Brown
6. Pinto
7. Formenton
8. Bernard-Docker
9. Daccord
10. Thomson

You forgot #4, is it Balcers? Abramov?

Good post, it's true that Daccord has had a steady progress. He came from far being a 7th round pick. Hopefully he's the undisputed #1 in Belleville next season and they rock the AHL again, then he forces the Sens hand to go with a Daccord/Hogberg tandem in 2021-22

By the way, for those who didn't read, a article from 1 year ago but Joey was already seen as promising before what he did in the AHL

https://thehockeywriters.com/ottawa-senators-future-goalie-daccord/

He's turning 24 y/o this summer

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009

1. Norris
2. Batherson
3. Brannstrom
5. Brown
6. Pinto
7. Formenton
8. Bernard-Docker
9. Daccord
10. Thomson
Curious why formenton is so low. Nhl speed and would have been rookie of the year if Norris didnt take it. He showed this year he can finish plays and isnt just an energy line guy. I have him in the top 3 tbh

Reactions: topshelf15

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Abramov is super under rated. Simply put, I feel like hes always making things happen, hes just one of those guys that the puck seems to follow.

And hes a lot more rugged and fearless than his size would indicate, hes not afraid to go hard into the corners or at the net.

I think he ends up forcing his way onto the roster some time next season, and he will eventually be one of our more talented wingers, and definitely top 6.

Reactions: Peptic Balcers

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Good catch gents, I messed up my numbering while I was reordering some of my picks, did notice the missing #4, but rather it is not 4 that is missing but #10:

1. Norris
2. Batherson
3. Brannstrom
4. Brown
5. Pinto
6. Formenton
7. Bernard-Docker
8. Daccord
9. Thomson
10. Balcers/Abramov

Curious why formenton is so low. Nhl speed and would have been rookie of the year if Norris didnt take it. He showed this year he can finish plays and isnt just an energy line guy. I have him in the top 3 tbh

After my little numbering issue, Formenton is at #6, and my reasoning for it has little to do with Formenton not being good enough to be higher, but rather that I feel the 5 players I put ahead of him deserve it more at this point.

To be fair, you could switch Formenton and Pinto and maybe Formenton shoots up the list next season if he repeats, but I am still not confident his game will translate offensively in the NHL at a high enough level to be considered a top 6 player. The guys I have ahead of him I think all have more potential to be top 3-6 forwards at the moment.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Abramov is super under rated. Simply put, I feel like hes always making things happen, hes just one of those guys that the puck seems to follow.

And hes a lot more rugged and fearless than his size would indicate, hes not afraid to go hard into the corners or at the net.

I think he ends up forcing his way onto the roster some time next season, and he will eventually be one of our more talented wingers, and definitely top 6.
I'll take that bet. He eventually will be traded or cut loose. He'll be passed by. Same with Balcers. It will be nice for them to know people supported them while they are here.

Reactions: GCK

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Finally another battle? Abramov vs Daccord

Only poll that was close so far was JBD vs Formenton at 5

7th in one the best pools in the NHL is not low. Prospects ranked above him have great arguments too.

Maybe if we weren't in a massive rebuild, 7th could be considered low for one of the top AHL rookies, but as the Sens went into a major firesale, they have accumulated a lot of prime assets, including several incoming picks. After the draft, as crazy as it sounds, Formenton might not crack the top-10

Yeah I rewatched a lot of Abramov tape yesterday and he really has an intriguing skillset. Like it was mentionned in one of the videos, his edgework allows him to do a lot of things. He doesn't have the top end speed of elite players but his IQ, shiftiness and overall skill could allow him to be good in the NHL. I think it might be a matter of figuring out the pro game play without the puck, which seems easier than it probably is.

So he's not a Filatov type at all, he's more abrasive, dynamic and seems to have a lot more determination, He's not a soft skilled player. He's like a mini Kucherov that hasn't broke out. But still a big question mark. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go over PPG in the AHL this season.

Reactions: Samsquanch

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
How is Abramov beating Chlapik here 22 to 2 that makes absolutely no sense. Chlapik was always a better prospect and has been a better pro too.

Reactions: NB613

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How is Abramov beating Chlapik here 22 to 2 that makes absolutely no sense. Chlapik was always a better prospect and has been a better pro too.
I'm guessing people prefer Abramov for his offence, he's produced better at every level, and at a year younger people might see more room to develop. Chlapik is more well rounded and less likely to outright bust though. He plays a style that can fit in the bottom 6 better than Abramov.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm guessing people prefer Abramov for his offence, he's produced better at every level, and at a year younger people might see more room to develop. Chlapik is more well rounded and less likely to outright bust though. He plays a style that can fit in the bottom 6 better than Abramov.
Id be shocked if Abramov plays more NHL games than Chlapik.

Chlapik:
146 AHL games and has 88 points. .60 PPG

Abramov
125 AHL games and has 74 points. .59 PPG

Chlapik plays center and wing, is way more physical game and is a WAY better defensive player while being 3 inches taller and 15 pounds heavier. He was the higher pick and has earned way more NHL games than Abramov, it simply doesnt make sense that Abramov is beating him let alone crushing him.

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Abramov's game translates well to the NHL as a high energy guy and he has higher offensive upside. Chlapik is a bit boring for me, not gonna lie.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Id be shocked if Abramov plays more NHL games than Chlapik.

Chlapik:
146 AHL games and has 88 points. .60 PPG

Abramov
125 AHL games and has 74 points. .59 PPG

Chlapik plays center and wing, is way more physical game and is a WAY better defensive player while being 3 inches taller and 15 pounds heavier. He was the higher pick and has earned way more NHL games than Abramov, it simply doesnt make sense that Abramov is beating him let alone crushing him.
Beating vs crushing is a bit irrelevant in a poll like this because it justs shows how many people prefer him not by how much.

Abramov's career AHL numbers are not as relevant as his current season's where they played on the same team.

Abramov .8 pts/g this year in 51 games
Chlapik .59 pts/g this year in 37.

Beyond just spewing stats though, it's clearly evident watching the games which guy is more naturally talented offensively, its just a matter of whether Abramov can translate that talent at the next level.

Chlapik on the other hand has a style that imo translates more easily so he certainly has that going for him along with some other elements you mentioned.

I like both guys, i think they are closer than your willing to admit, but Chlapik has the advantage that he can play a grinder role if he can't crack the top 9 so i agree he is more likely to be an NHL 'r.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It has a lot to do with development curve too. Chlapik hasn't progressed on a steep development curve during the last 3 years, he might have just refined his game a bit and learned to be a pro. Abramov seems more on the verge to break out. There's still a chance that he ends up as a top-6 forward.

I like Chlapik but I can't see him be more than a 3rd line center if all goes well. He's going to be in the next wave for me, after Abramov, Zub and Daccord. The question is who will be in that next wave other than Chlapik? Sogaard for his upside potential (could end up the best goalies amoung the young 5), Crookshank for a possible breakout into a legit prospect? We'll see

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

Beyond just spewing stats though, it's clearly evident watching the games which guy is more naturally talented offensively, its just a matter of whether Abramov can translate that talent at the next level.

I think it is the opposite effect taking place.

Most of us have seen several of Chlapik's game at the NHL level, and can see that he's got a ceiling of competent 3rd liner .

On the other hand, most people have seen very little of Abramov and therefore it's easier to imagine him being a legit 2nd liner.

I like both guys, but I feel we've seen flashes of Chlapik that make me feel good about him as a good 3rd liner on a very good team.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Beating vs crushing is a bit irrelevant in a poll like this because it justs shows how many people prefer him not by how much.

Abramov's career AHL numbers are not as relevant as his current season's where they played on the same team.

Abramov .8 pts/g this year in 51 games
Chlapik .59 pts/g this year in 37.

Chlapik on the other hand has a style that imo translates more easily so he certainly has that going for him along with some other elements you mentioned.

I like both guys, i think they are closer than your willing to admit, but Chlapik has the advantage that he can play a grinder role if he can't crack the top 9 so i agree he is more likely to be an NHL 'r.

Chlapik and Abramov had different roles in Belleville this year. I dont see a legitimate argument to say that one year is a more accurate depiction of these two players other than if you want to cherry pick to prove a point. They have a very similar body of work in the AHL, its also not as easy to produce when you keep going up and down playing with different players every game. Chlapik see's the ice really well and has a higher end hockey IQ than Abramov. Abramov has better puck skills and shot, they are very different stylistically. I dont mind if people like Abramov more, he is flashier so I can see the appeal however to suggest he is a sure fire better prospect isnt very accurate. Abramov is going to have to improve a significant amount to be a regular player in the NHL, he isnt going to play anywhere but the top 6 he doesnt have the defensive IQ to play a bottom 6 role. I dont see how Abramov makes the sens tbh, they only have 4 top 6 winger spots and they already have Tkachuk plus players like Brown, Formenton, Batherson, White, Norris, Duclair and whoever they draft this year plus people think Balcers is a better prospect. I just dont see how he gets there unless he really really start to score alot more than he already is.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It’s between daccord and Abramov for me.
Would I trade Abramov for daccord? Maybe? Probably?
Idk. Daccord the safer pick here I’d say, just want to pretend Abramov is going to be a good middle 6 senator for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad