Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nikita Susuyev

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Neighbors is a Backes clone. He’s going to get better and better. Unfortunately, Backes was a 2C thrown into a 1C role. Thankfully Neighbors won’t be forced into that role.

How so? Their games are different. They are both strong, but Backes is much bigger than Neighbours. 3 inches taller. Backes was elite defensively, Neigbours has been below average his whole career. Backes was a tremendous net front precense with great hand eye for tips, and the ability to clean up rebounds. I have not seen that from Neighbours at all. Backes could play C, Neighbours never has. So how are they similar at all aside from wishful thinking?

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
isnt the point if these polls to have the polls? We knew snuggy would be 2 but voted anyway.
It’s something to do and discuss during the dog days. Even if we “know” who the next winner will be, we still can have discussions about the selection.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
How so? Their games are different. They are both strong, but Backes is much bigger than Neighbours. 3 inches taller. Backes was elite defensively, Neigbours has been below average his whole career. Backes was a tremendous net front precense with great hand eye for tips, and the ability to clean up rebounds. I have not seen that from Neighbours at all. Backes could play C, Neighbours never has. So how are they similar at all aside from wishful thinking?

They are only 10 lbs a part. And who’s to say Neighbors is done growing? He may easily add another 5-10 lbs

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
They are only 10 lbs a part. And who’s to say Neighbors is done growing? He may easily add another 5-10 lbs

Even so that just size. He may grow to be a similar size as Backes so he is a Backes Clone? That is a huge reach. You liked Backes so you are projecting that onto Neighbours, but they are not similar.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Even so that just size. He may grow to be a similar size as Backes so he is a Backes Clone? That is a huge reach. You liked Backes so you are projecting that onto Neighbours, but they are not similar.

Backes was a physical 2 way player that averaged 25g / 50 pts per year. That’s who I see Neighbors being.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Some may find this an unusual take, but I voted for Lindstein because I think that of the remaining prospects, he is the most valuable asset to the organization.
He may not be as far along in his development as Neighbours or Dean, and he may not even turn out to be the best player among them. What makes him more valuable to me is the position that he plays, and more importantly, the potential he has demonstrated to be successful in that role.
When he was drafted, he was instantly catapulted into the front of the line of our LD prospects. (Yes, I think ahead of Perunovich and Buchinger)
I absolutely believe he has the potential to be a top 4 defenseman, and that is more important to me than a middle 6 forward, even if that middle 6 forward is a guarantee.

Another way of looking at it: If I was making a deal that had to include one of Neighbours, Dean, or Lindstein, Lindstein is the one I would least want to move.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah. I don't see that. I see a lesser version of Saad who can't defend when I look at Neighbours.

He's already tougher than Saad and how many 21 year old forwards do you know that are elite defensively? Players tend to get better with more experience, especially away from the puck. You're acting like Neighbours is a finished product already for some reason. The right man won this poll but I will happily vote Dean next.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Neighbors is a Backes clone. He’s going to get better and better. Unfortunately, Backes was a 2C thrown into a 1C role. Thankfully Neighbors won’t be forced into that role.

Jakub Stancl (our fourth round pick this year from Czechia) reminds me more of Backes (stylistically, strengths, and weaknesses at the same age, although I am not, by any means, going to say that Stancl is our answer to Backes) than Neighbours does. Neighbours, at his best, could be a solid fifty-point middle-six left wing (I don't think he'll ever play center, but I've seen crazier stuff happen). Backes has never played left wing; he was a right-wing or center.

True, both are physical, but Backes has four inches and twenty pounds on Neighbours, and had a much better shot. Neighbours is more advanced and a much better skater than Backes was at the same age, but Backes was about as close to a consistent power-forward as we had in the 10s, and Neighbours, while he has a lot of sandpaper in his game, isn't that. Neighbours isn't comparable to Saad either. I've heard Brendan Morrow, and I think prime-Morrow is an accurate and viable comparison for Neighbours.

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Jakub Stancl (our fourth round pick this year from Czechia) reminds me more of Backes (stylistically, strengths, and weaknesses at the same age, although I am not, by any means, going to say that Stancl our answer to Backes) than Neighbours does. Neighbours, at his best, could be a solid fifty-point middle-six left wing (I don't think he'll ever play center, but I've seen crazier stuff happen). Backes has never played left wing; he was a right-wing or center.

True, both are physical, but Backes has four inches and twenty pounds on Neighbours, and had a much better shot. Neighbours is more advanced and a much better skater than Backes was at the same age, but Backes was about as close to a consistent power-forward as we had in the 10s, and Neighbours, while he has a lot of sandpaper in his game, isn't that. Neighbours isn't comparable to Saad either. I've heard Brendan Morrow, and I think prime-Morrow is an accurate and viable comparison for Neighbours.

So Neighbours is a smaller, faster, worse defensively, more creative offensively yet worse shooting, left-handed, LW version of Backes?

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Neighbours reminds me most of Oshie but worse with the puck. They're about the same size, they are both good skaters, and they are both physical. Neither are "smart" defensively like a Steen or Saad, but they are both hard workers that are willing to backcheck and put effort in at both ends. Oshie was more creative with the puck and could make strong lateral moves to fool defenders and goalies and create a better angle for a shot, mostly due to his super-strong core/lower body. Neighbours appears to me to be more of a straight-line skater who will dump and chase or try to beat a defender to the outside and crash the net. Oshie had better offensive instincts which is why he was a top 6 forward for us and Neighbours projects to be more of a middle 6 guy.

Oshie was 21 going on 22 when he entered the league and he was contributing offensively right away. Neighbours was 19 when he got his 9 game stint, and 20 this past year playing roughly half the season. So it's a bit different situation as far as their transitions to the NHL. With Oshie it was a quick jump, and with Neighbours it's been a more gradual entry. But Neighbours is now at about the same time frame of development in terms of age that Oshie was when he entered the league. I'm not expecting Neighbours to come in and play at a 50-60 point pace like Oshie did right away (and I don't know if he'll ever reach that level), because I don't think Neighbours has the same offensive tools as stated above. But I'd be happy with a 10-15 goal and 20-25 assist (30-40 point) pace over a full season while showing the willingness and effort to help out defensively, all while being physical.

There are probably better comparisons, but Oshie-lite is just what comes to mind for me.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Jakub Stancl (our fourth round pick this year from Czechia) reminds me more of Backes (stylistically, strengths, and weaknesses at the same age, although I am not, by any means, going to say that Stancl our answer to Backes) than Neighbours does. Neighbours, at his best, could be a solid fifty-point middle-six left wing (I don't think he'll ever play center, but I've seen crazier stuff happen). Backes has never played left wing; he was a right-wing or center.

Holy shit this might be a great comp for Neighbours. Morrow and Neighbours are essentially the same height, similar weight, drafted around the same spot, same position, roughly similar profile in offense, sandpaper, etc etc etc. I don't know Morrow's defensive game as well, but I think Neighbours can develop a good two-way game if he really buckles down this summer to work on positioning and the like. f*** man that's such a good comp.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Neighbours reminds me most of Oshie but worse with the puck. They're about the same size, they are both good skaters, and they are both physical. Neither are "smart" defensively like a Steen or Saad, but they are both hard workers that are willing to backcheck and put effort in at both ends. Oshie was more creative with the puck and could make strong lateral moves to fool defenders and goalies and create a better angle for a shot, mostly due to his super-strong core/lower body. Neighbours appears to me to be more of a straight-line skater who will dump and chase or try to beat a defender to the outside and crash the net. Oshie had better offensive instincts which is why he was a top 6 forward for us and Neighbours projects to be more of a middle 6 guy.

Oshie was 21 going on 22 when he entered the league and he was contributing offensively right away. Neighbours was 19 when he got his 9 game stint, and 20 this past year playing roughly half the season. So it's a bit different situation as far as their transitions to the NHL. With Oshie it was a quick jump, and with Neighbours it's been a more gradual entry. But Neighbours is now at about the same time frame of development in terms of age that Oshie was when he entered the league. I'm not expecting Neighbours to come in and play at a 50-60 point pace like Oshie did right away (and I don't know if he'll ever reach that level), because I don't think Neighbours has the same offensive tools as stated above. But I'd be happy with a 10-15 goal and 20-25 assist (30-40 point) pace over a full season while showing the willingness and effort to help out defensively, all while being physical.

There are probably better comparisons, but Oshie-lite is just what comes to mind for me.

Oshie-lite is what I also see when I watch him. Wasn’t sure if I was the only one.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Holy shit this might be a great comp for Neighbours. Morrow and Neighbours are essentially the same height, similar weight, drafted around the same spot, same position, roughly similar profile in offense, sandpaper, etc etc etc. I don't know Morrow's defensive game as well, but I think Neighbours can develop a good two-way game if he really buckles down this summer to work on positioning and the like. f*** man that's such a good comp.

Admittedly, it wasn't my original comparison. It's just something I've read somewhere about Neighbours, and I think it's a fitting comparison. He'll never be Backes (or even Oshie), but he doesn't have to be Backes (or Oshie) to be a great prospect.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Admittedly, it wasn't my original comparison. It's just something I've read somewhere about Neighbours, and I think it's a fitting comparison. He'll never be Backes (or even Oshie), but he doesn't have to be Backes (or Oshie) to be a great prospect.
I'll be very happy with a 50 point player with physicality. If he can develop a good two-way game, then that's perfect for me. Like you said, he doesn't have to be in the top 6, but if he can find his way into that Killorn type player, then that would be ideal.

Reactions: Memento

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
that is comp that army made when we drafted him.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Some may find this an unusual take, but I voted for Lindstein because I think that of the remaining prospects, he is the most valuable asset to the organization.
He may not be as far along in his development as Neighbours or Dean, and he may not even turn out to be the best player among them. What makes him more valuable to me is the position that he plays, and more importantly, the potential he has demonstrated to be successful in that role.
When he was drafted, he was instantly catapulted into the front of the line of our LD prospects. (Yes, I think ahead of Perunovich and Buchinger)
I absolutely believe he has the potential to be a top 4 defenseman, and that is more important to me than a middle 6 forward, even if that middle 6 forward is a guarantee.

Another way of looking at it: If I was making a deal that had to include one of Neighbours, Dean, or Lindstein, Lindstein is the one I would least want to move.
I have him ranked ahead of a couple guys that were already ranked, but I have Dean ahead of him too. I think he's not a 'sexy' pick for some people, but he'll have a bigger impact if he hits his close to his ceiling.

Reactions: Blueston

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I don’t see Neighbours as a Backes, Oshie or a Steen. I would agree with the Morrow comparison more than any other I heard.

I also don’t see Steen in Stenberg.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I was all excited when I heard Jake was compared to Brendan Morrow, I mean if that comes to fruition, we got something special. But he better start showing something this year.
Need to see if he has that perimeter shot. Jaskin didn’t have one and that was his downfall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad