Who is the best Canadian Goaltender Under 30?

Best Canadian Goalie Under [2022 Offseason]

• Jordan Binnigton

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • Mackenzie Blackwood

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Laurent Brossoit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eric Comrie

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Nico Daws

• Chris Driedger

• Carter Hart

Votes: 41 19.3%
  • Adin Hill

• Tristan Jarry

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Samuel Montembeault

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Matt Murray

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Stuart Skinner

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Logan Thompson

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Great question. Jarry is probably the guy.

Am very interested in what Thompson and Skinner can do in next couple of years.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Is there a rule stating all Olympic team players must be under 30?

No, but the next possible Winter Olympics are 4 years away. Anyone 30+ right now is 34+ then and it’s probably just as bleak to pin hopes on a player already into the usual ‘declining years’. And none of them are especially good options anyway.

MA Fleury and Mike Smith will be in their 40s and retired. Increasing the question to include players now 30+ adds … then-35-year-old Kuemper, Jones, Allen, and even-older Talbot and Reimer.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Even Binnington barely makes the cut at 29 y/o. So basically there is no next generation of Canadian goaltending...

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
OOOOOOFFFFF this is rough... I still have faith in Hart, Philly has been a disaster and I believe his numbers would be quite a bit better on a better team but my f*** has Canadian goalies fallen off. In a best on best tourney it's still probably one of the old guard holding down the fort.

Reactions: Hagstrom

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Even Binnington barely makes the cut at 29 y/o. So basically there is no next generation of Canadian goaltending...
Someone random will probably emerge at some point, as there is still a plurality of Canadian Goaltenders in the NHL. If the NHL players do go to the next Olympics, you only need 1 guy anyways so it's probably not overly dire for their presumptive chances.

Looking at last 3 drafts, Canadian Goaltender

2020:
Nico Daws - 3rd round pick
Dylan Garand - 4th round pick
Will Cranley - 6th round pick
Garin Bjorklund - 6th round pick
Remi Poirier - 6th round pick
Devon Levi - 7th round pick

2021:
Sebastian Cossa - 1st round pick
Benjamin Gaudreau - 3rd round pick
Tristan Lennox - 3rd round pick
Talyn Boyko - 4th round pick
Gage Alexander - 5th round pick
Joe Vrbetic - 7th round pick

2022:
Tyler Brennan - 4th round pick
Mason Beaupit - 4th round pick
Cameron Whitehead - 4th round pick
Ty Young - 5th round pick
Emmett Croteau - 6th round pick
Dominic DiVincentiis - 7th round pick

and there are obviously guys older than that in the AHL, plus the chance of someone in the poll taking a huge leap. I'm not too familiar with the pipeline of junior players that haven't hit draft eligibility yet. The bolded guy is the only one who was drafted in the top 2 rounds from the last few drafts, but the sheer raw numbers means someone at least should be suitable even if it's basically throwing a dart randomly at the board.

But if you were taking betting odds of who would be the Canadian Starting Goaltender for a hypothetical 2026 NHL player Olympics, it'd be a huge pile of "who the heck knows"

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I mean, under 30 is a thin list. But over 30 there's Price, MAF, Talbot, and Kuemper. Thats 4 capable NHL starters. It's not as bleak as it seems.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I think Hart would be the best if he was on a playoff caliber team. He gets hung out to fry way too much.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Jarry the best Canadian goalie under 30? Wow, their goaltending really fell off a cliff.

He's not bad, of course, but Canada used to be a goaltending superpower.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This list is really sad. I would say Binnington and Jarry, and even Binnington just had a massively awful season, but it's just one really bad season. Problem is that he really didn't have great seasons other than his rookie year either.

Blackwood - Just a terrible turn for the worst his last two years. Probably injuries, but his mediocre AHL career makes me wonder if he really just sucks.

Brossoit - He's already pretty much journeyman status and has been nothing more than a backup at the NHL level so far. And he's really not been super impressive, other than a couple of solid years as a very sheltered and sparsely used backup.

Comrie - He really only has one good season in the NHL. It's his most recent season, but he did not perform well in the NHL before this past season. Granted, his total games played before this past season wasn't a whole lot.

Daws - Was forced to play too many games in the NHL last year thanks to the Devils pathetic and injured goaltending. If he's ever NHL ready, he's got a couple years left before he gets there. I think he's the youngest goalie on this list by over two years.

Driedger - Pretty sure he's just an AHL goalie, but a couple of hot seasons where he (probably) overachieved in Florida will probably buy him at least a few more years in the league. His play in Florida kind of reminds me of Andrew Hammond. Pretty fitting both were in Ottawa at the same time.

Hart - Same as Blackwood. A couple of good years to start his career, followed up by two poor years. To be fair, he wasn't that poor last year. He was massively better than the year before. His play didn't even really fall off a cliff until the last 5 games he played, which were followed with a season-ending injury a few weeks before the end of the season. Perhaps whatever hurt him was what caused the drastic late season drop, as he was playing decent for most of the year? And maybe forcing him into the NHL at 20 years old probably also wasn't beneficial to him.

Hill - Meh. I'd say painfully average at the very best.

Monteambeault - AWFUL. SUCKS. TERRIBLE. BUILT LIKE A TANK. That's all I could say for this guy. Oh and speaking of Chris Driedger earlier, Montembeault is the reason that Chris Driedger broke into the NHL. Because he was supposed to be Bob's backup and just terribly sucked at it.

Murray - Already a pretty sad has-been at 28 years old. The last three years have been awfully poor for him. Lots of injuries and lots of poor play when he's actually on the ice. His reputation is so long ago and has been followed up by far more bad seasons than good ones since his second cup in a row, it really shouldn't help him in the ranks.

Skinner - Has played fine in the NHL, but not enough sample size yet. I'm pretty sure he's played only half as many NHL games as the next lowest on this list. Well, the last guy on the list has played only 6 more games than him.

Thompson - Has played solid in the NHL so far, but sample size is also low for him.

Last edited:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Compared to the last 30 years of Roy, Brodeur, Luongo, Price, Belfour, Joseph and even guys like MAF and Holtby, this group is just abysmal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: