Speculation: Who is our goalie next year?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Beat me to it. Fact is, all we've been told is that Helly won't sign another contract here but he is still under contract for the coming season. There is a stubbornness to this organization to hold out for what they want, not just the best offer. Whether what they want back is realistic we'll never know if a deal doesn't get done this summer.

We could easily start the year and finish the year with Helly. How is that possible? They are doing well at the TDL and don't want to give him up, or Helly is injured at the TDL and can't be moved. He could play here and walk for nothing. Be prepared for that eventuality.

That is an absolute failure if it happens and there should be rioting.

Fatdrunk

Better Luck Next Year
Feb 1, 2019
Last I checked Helle has another year left on his contract. He would have to perform well this year to entice any other team to give him a big payday.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Assuming Helle is dealt. I think the 1A/1B route is the way to go. I have fears Chevy will add 1 low level starter, and some low end league min. Backup. I think you trade for a young guy with potential needing his chance, or like someone else said the placeholder who a team moved on from to give their own young upcoming goalie the shot. Or even a guy who did not live up to expectations but should be good enough for us to be competitive in a rebuild/ retool- that would be a team who wants Helle to upgrade and gives us back their young let down goalie or one they just don't think is good enough. Either way, i'd like to add 2 of those styles rather then the washed up career backup at league min. Let's get 2 guys fighting for starts.

Ideally you get one back for Helle along with a young #2/3 C who can step into a #1/2C role for the time being but is still growing/ not prime yet. Or at least a high end C prospect. 0 interest in draft picks for Helle. Unless it is a top 10 pick.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I'll go with Vanacek (after we trade Hellebuyck to New Jersey) and (spins wheel of cheap veteran UFAs....) Alex Stalock

Jeff Marek mentioned Joey D'accord on the last 32 Thoughts pod. Seattle claimed him from Ottawa in the expansion draft and sent him to the AHL. .930 sv% in the Calder Cup playoffs with 2 shutouts in the final so far. 26 years old. Might be worth a flyer as a backup?

I love his last name

whether he has a good or bad game we can say he is "ok"

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
1686720774826.gif

Attachments

• 1686720682656.jpeg
    1686720682656.jpeg
    5.5 KB · Views: 2

HellebuyckOurSaviour

Apr 8, 2014
Winnipeg
If we can aquire a 1st round pick from trading PLD or Helle ( Montreal, Buffalo or Pittsburgh) I'd be calling Philadelphia and asking if our 18th overall would be enough for Hart. Then scoop up Raanta, Reimer, Lyon or Jones for a cheap backup.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
For those saying Korpisalo and/or Raanta, I have a hunch that the Jets have more or less poisoned the well with the Finnish pros. From what I have gathered from interviews and podcasts on the matter, if any of them talk to each other, chances are we're not signing a single Finn from another team anytime soon.

The likely #1 come October is Hellebuyck, because Chevy knows far too well not to risk his own GM position. If he is moved, then Swayman or Hart is the best case scenario for me. Out of UFAs, Andersen and Hill are pretty much the only interesting ones available. Luukkonen would be a good young project to target, if it wasn't for the reason stated above.

The problem is that if we don't keep Helle, we will need two of these 30-40 game goalies to replace him. I suspect we're going to struggle attracting even one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad