Player Discussion Who is our 2nd best player?

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
I agree with a lot of what's being said here. I think Eberle is probably the best if he really wants to be, RNH will probably most consistently be best, and if that player isn't one of the D by the end of the season, we have a problem.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Other: Hall

Oh, we don't have him anymore you say? Well then the guy we got back surely is the 2nd best player... Oh, he's not? He's not even our 5th best player? ..... Oh, well then

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Other: Hall

Oh, we don't have him anymore you say? Well then the guy we got back surely is the 2nd best player... Oh, he's not? He's not even our 5th best player? ..... Oh, well then

Yeah we definitely got hosed.
Time to move on though

Bangers

May 31, 2006
IMO, at the moment it's Talbot. Once he corrected his technique to stop giving up weak goals on his inside post, he became the first legitimate top line goalie the team has had since Rollie (and I think Talbot is a better goalie than Rollie). He singlehandedly kept the team in games for about two months.

- Draisaitl and Puljujarvi are more potential than actual ability at this point.
- we don't really know how well Larsson will adapt to the new team/conference.
- Klefbom only really had a short sample size of playing like a top pairing defender
- good Eberle is easily the 2nd best player on the team. Bad Eberle almost singlehandedly loses the team games
- Lucic is a very good player, but IMO he won't have the same ability to win games as Talbot.
- RNH will hopefully rebound, but he was pretty horrible last season

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
At the moment experience counts for a lot.

I have it Sekera, Nuge, Lucic, Eberle and even Pouliot being in a more proven group. Klefbom, Larson, Talbot, Davidson and Leon are a touch behind but with more potential.

Last edited:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
any number of players can be our 2nd best. 2nd most valuable, at the moment, is probably Talbot or a healthy Klefbom. but when the dust settles, in a year or two, I'm gonna go with Drai or one of Klef or Larsson.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I was going to vote Eberle based on skill, but then remembered all the lazy backchecking etc. and went with RNH. If it was only based on skill and no effort, then Eberle would be my choice.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
IMO, at the moment it's Talbot. Once he corrected his technique to stop giving up weak goals on his inside post, he became the first legitimate top line goalie the team has had since Rollie (and I think Talbot is a better goalie than Rollie). He singlehandedly kept the team in games for about two months.

- Draisaitl and Puljujarvi are more potential than actual ability at this point.
- we don't really know how well Larsson will adapt to the new team/conference.
- Klefbom only really had a short sample size of playing like a top pairing defender
- good Eberle is easily the 2nd best player on the team. Bad Eberle almost singlehandedly loses the team games
- Lucic is a very good player, but IMO he won't have the same ability to win games as Talbot.
- RNH will hopefully rebound, but he was pretty horrible last season

It's going to be really interesting to see how Talbot does behind a much better D. If Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera can stay healthy and Fayne can at least play as well as he did in the second half i think he's actually got a reasonable top 4 in front of him. Add in Davidson, Nurse, Reinhart, Oesterle hopefully being better simply due to more experience and i could see him having a huge season. Really solid under the radar pick. I'm a big Nuge fan and i see him having a big bounce back season but it sure would be nice to have a goalie have a sv% above .925 and be a legit all star.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
any number of players can be our 2nd best. 2nd most valuable, at the moment, is probably Talbot or a healthy Klefbom. but when the dust settles, in a year or two, I'm gonna go with Drai or one of Klef or Larsson.

great thing to have. There is literally no one close to being McDavid good now but we have about 10 other players who are all very good and bring different elements to the team.

IMO RNH, Draisaitl, Lucic, Eberle, Puljujarvi, Klefbom, Nurse, Talbot, Larsson are all equal value wise but all are very different from one another.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Eberle, if he feels like it.
Huh, I never got the idea you were a fan of the player. Well said though.
I'll be looking for your support in GDTs next season when posters are suggesting 'the lazy slug would clear waivers'.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Have to be Eberle at this point, but after season is over he could be passed by a lot of guys. Klefbom would be next in line if he keeps up his play from last year. Pulju and Drai if they develop well, Talbot if he has another stellar season. Larsson if he looks as good as I think he will once he has adapted to the system and new conference. Right now it's all very muddy and we don't really know what we have with a lot of guys.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
1. Mcdavid
2. Eberle
3. Talbot
4. Sekera
5. Draisaitl
6. Lucic
7. Klefbom
8. Larsson
9. Nuge
10. Pouliot

That's probably my top 10. Although 6-9 can probably be any order. Donno really.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
1. Mcdavid
2. Eberle
3. Talbot
4. Sekera
5. Draisaitl
6. Lucic
7. Klefbom
8. Larsson
9. Nuge
10. Pouliot

That's probably my top 10. Although 6-9 can probably be any order. Donno really.

Sekera should be switched with nuge

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Huh, I never got the idea you were a fan of the player. Well said though.
I'll be looking for your support in GDTs next season when posters are suggesting 'the lazy slug would clear waivers'.

Only times I got down on him last season were the obvious plays where he just gave up back checking and looked like he didn't care. I posted many times that people were too quick to hate on him when he was coming back from injury and didnt have a proper preseason/time to work off the offseson rust. Even when he was playing lights out and was near a ppg player for a long stretch I pointed it out multiple times.

Eberle has a goal scoring touch that no one else on the club has proven to have at the NHL level. It isnt a skill that can be taught, and it is more valuable than people know.

edit: posts like this one

Last edited:

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
There are a number of players who could be better than RNH down the line but for now he is the 2nd best player on the team. Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Klefbom, Larsson could be there soon but not yet. Davidson and Nurse still have the potential to be top pair guys too if they keep developing, although both are more likely to top out as #3s.

With Hall and Schultz gone, and if Eberle plays with Lucic maybe that provides the motivation and protection needed for Eberle to return to the form seen in his 2nd season. If that Eberle comes to play then he's pretty impactful too. We've seen many flashes from a number of players on this list, who's going to start consistently playing at that high level?

Bangers

May 31, 2006
How is Nuge #2?

He was complete crap for most of last season.

I like the player and I'm glad they didn't trade him for Dumba, but Nuge did absolutely nothing last season but underwhelm.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I kinda missed that the vote is going in stages of 1, 2, 3 etc. So I voted Ebs. Although he carries himself as a "lazy" type of player on the ice, I think it is more to do with his lack of Defensive acumen. I just don't think he thinks the game like we would want, and he probably can't because of his own personal traits and way of thinking the game.

And surprise surprise, #'s 3 and 4 will be either D or G for me. Just haven't decided after 2 sips of coffee.

LoiltyAtItsFinest

Aug 18, 2014
Imo Klefbom is a top pairing defender, if not you can't say he's worse then a #3. So if our elite/1c (McJezus) is our best player, would you say our 2nd best is a first line winger(Eberle/Lucic), a second line center(Nuge/Drai) or a top pairing Dman (Klefbom/Larsson).

I would easily take Klefbom even if I thought he was a #3 Dman.

Top 2 D>top 4=first line RW=second line C

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Going with Talbot. He was our MVP last year, wasn't he?

I always find it odd how goalies are not really valued for some reason, because night in and night out they need to be the most consistent player on the team. Calgary went from being a pretty decent team (spit) to consistently getting their show ran last season because they didn't have a guy who could make a save. Without Roli playing out of his mind and stopping 40+ shots every night the Oilers don't make the playoffs in '06, and sure as hell don't make it past the Wings.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
There's such a significant gap between 1 and 2/3 that I don't feel comfortable voting. I'll just wait until it's #4

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
Eberle and Lucic are tied for 2nd. Eberle, if he cares enough on certain nights, I guess.

Followed by Sekera, RNH, Talbot, Larsson, Draisatl, Davidson.

After that you can just pick and choose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad