Who hits 50 goals first? Laine or Matthews.

Who hits 50 goals first? Laine or Matthews.

• Laine

Votes: 248 60.3%
  • Matthews

Votes: 129 31.4%
  • Neither do it in their careers.

Votes: 34 8.3%

• Total voters

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Funny how Laine is so much better than Matthews in all these other leagues and yet could barely muster 3 votes vs Matthews' 164 votes for an actual NHL trophy.

Also, what are their current scoring stats while Matthews is getting harder zone starts, facing harder competition, and still playing a harder position than Laine?

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Funny how Laine is so much better than Matthews in all these other leagues and yet could barely muster 3 votes vs Matthews' 164 votes for an actual NHL trophy.

Also, what are their current scoring stats while Matthews is getting harder zone starts, facing harder competition, and still playing a harder position than Laine?

Why wouldn't the Calder voting have been like that? Matthews won fair and square. After Laine was injured it was surprising he got any votes. But I mean really the Calder has historically not been a good measuring stick for future success.

That being said, Matthews is ahead right now, for sure. Great, great player and I doubt Laine will catch him until they are 22-23yo or so due to their different physical maturity level. We have also seen less than 10% of the season so the sample size is so small that it does not mean much.

The man was just pointing out if you want to bash Laine, the number of trophies he has is probably not the best approach.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Why wouldn't the Calder voting have been like that? Matthews won fair and square. After Laine was injured it was surprising he got any votes. But I mean really the Calder has historically not been a good measuring stick for future success.

That being said, Matthews is ahead right now, for sure. Great, great player and I doubt Laine will catch him until they are 22-23yo or so due to their different physical maturity level. We have also seen less than 10% of the season so the sample size is so small that it does not mean much.

The man was just pointing out if you want to bash Laine, the number of trophies he has is probably not the best approach.

Calders not a good measuring stick. Trophies in other leagues however....

Carson22

Oct 9, 2017

Voting by journalist is an extremely telling story. Congrats. What makes journalist experts on how good hockey players are? If it was a spelling or grammar judging contest, they might be qualified (but I doubt it since the invention of spell check)

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Calders not a good measuring stick. Trophies in other leagues however....

Strawman much?

And actually now that I think of it, if a single player has that kind of trophy cabinet as a teenager, it is probably a fairly good indication of future success. You make a good point.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Voting by journalist is an extremely telling story. Congrats. What makes journalist experts on how good hockey players are? If it was a spelling or grammar judging contest, they might be qualified (but I doubt it since the invention of spell check)

You seem to be confusing sports journalists with English teachers.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This is quite the slippery slope. If the Calder is worthless because of who votes for it then so are half of the other major trophies in the NHL. Should Laine ever come close to winning the likes of the Hart or Conn Smythe that same hand waving you’re doing can be thrown right back at you.

Reactions: TDK88

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
This is quite the slippery slope. If the Calder is worthless because of who votes for it then so are half of the other major trophies in the NHL. Should Laine ever come close to winning the lines of the Hart or Conn Smythe that same hand waving your doing can be thrown right back at you.

Ding ding ding!

It is pretty cute to see Laineacs attempt more and more awful arguments every day though. Makes for a fun game of "how will they embarrass themselves next?"

Carson22

Oct 9, 2017
Ding ding ding!

It is pretty cute to see Laineacs attempt more and more awful arguments every day though. Makes for a fun game of "how will they embarrass themselves next?"
Funny how you had no reply to any fact I quoted...it was like crickets in here waiting for someone else to say something foolish and your reply is....ya what that guy said.... classic.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Guess you didn’t have an answer to my question so you are just trying to deflect...so let’s leave it at this. I pick the player who had the higher ppg, while facing the other teams best shutdown lines. The fact that one player was 18 years old during the full nhl season, and one player was 19 for the entire nhl season, and one had never played on nhl sized rinks his entire life, one had, one moved half way around the world to play, one didn’t....is just gravy.

Everything about your post scream grasping at straws. all these arguments mean nothing, and all your points won't matter.

Age= 7 months is zero, and anybody (like myself) who has played hockey and who trains athletes still will laugh at this.
PPG= Its a new year and the difference was nothing last year lol so many variables that effect this.
NHL rink size=Matty had one of the oddest hockey upbringings you will find ever, this one is the worst arguments.

Matty is a better player, you can see it on a nightly basis, this argument is dead. Plus just to let you know, I always speak highly of Laine, nothing against him at all, great player! Just sick and tired of people like you brining up the same stupid excuses.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Baffles me how a cherry-picking 1 dimensional winger draws so many comparisons to a 200 ft. dominant center who controls the game everytime he steps on the ice.

Reactions: DatSnipeMatthews

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Funny how you had no reply to any fact I quoted...it was like crickets in here waiting for someone else to say something foolish and your reply is....ya what that guy said.... classic.

What "facts" do you want addressed? The "fact" that Laine won a WJC award which is an award for junior players? Or the "fact" that Laine won a WHC MVP award which is an award voted on by ~10 hockey writers who you just spent several posts mocking and saying their opinion is garbage? Or the "fact" that Laine winning an FEL playoff MVP award is not proof he's better than Matthews since Matthews was playing in the NLA and won his own trophy there? Sorry, but your "facts" are meaningless in relation these players' NHL performances.

Fact: Matthews won an NHL trophy. Laine didn't.

Fact: Matthews finished 2nd in goals as a rookie. Laine didn't.

Fact: Matthews led the league in even strength scoring. Laine didn't.

Fact: Matthews was the best player on a playoff team. Laine wasn't even the best player on a basement team.

Fact: Matthews is a possession beast and defensively elite. Laine is neither of those things.

Fact: Matthews is currently playing and performing at a much higher level than Laine both in points and overall play.

Do we need more "facts" to destroy the "Laine > Matthews" delusion or is this enough?

Last edited:

Carson22

Oct 9, 2017
What "facts" do you want addressed? The "fact" that Laine won a WJC award which is an award for junior players? Or the "fact" that Laine won a WHC MVP award which is an award voted on by ~10 hockey writers who you just spent several posts mocking and saying their opinion is garbage? Or the "fact" that Laine winning an FEL playoff MVP award is not proof he's better than Matthews since Matthews was playing in the NLA and won his own trophy there? Sorry, but your "facts" are meaningless in relation these players' NHL performances.

Fact: Matthews won an NHL trophy. Laine didn't.

Fact: Matthews finished 2nd in goals as a rookie. Laine didn't.

Fact: Matthews led the league in even strength scoring. Laine didn't.

Fact: Matthews was the best player on a playoff team. Laine wasn't even the best player on a basement team.

Fact: Matthews is a possession beast and defensively elite. Laine is neither of those things.

Fact: Matthews is currently playing and performing at a much higher level than Laine both in points and overall play.

Do we need more "facts" to destroy the "Laine > Matthews" delusion or is this enough?
You really have to learn what the word “fact” means. Nice try coming up with a reply, but you can replace your “facts” with the words “leaf fans want to believe” or “my daddy says” and it would make more sense. The fact that you started out his highlights by saying he won an nhl award voted on by writers is golden. You should mention HF poll results as “fact” while you are at it, the posters on here can all write, so that makes them experts doesn’t it?

Last edited:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I see that people are still underestimating Matthews shot after his 40 goal season and hot start this season.

I personally don't see Laine ever scoring 50. Doesn't shoot enough and I really don't see those numbers going up as teams play him tighter.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Why are we even arguing with these people? We know Matthews is the better player. We know the leafs are the better team. Let's just leave it at that.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I see that people are still underestimating Matthews shot after his 40 goal season and hot start this season.

I personally don't see Laine ever scoring 50. Doesn't shoot enough and I really don't see those numbers going up as teams play him tighter.

Matthews has a good shot at 50 this season.

But it is weird that your reason for not seeing laine scoring 50 being a possibility due to shooting... he currently has 3 less shots than matthews in 2 less games.... unless i missunderstood what you meant. This season he is putting alot more on goal but apparantly still being a bit selective according to people who watch him more than i do.

I would understand and perhaps even agree with your reasoning if it was due to shot location and not just shot totals.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Matthews has a good shot at 50 this season.

But it is weird that your reason for not seeing laine scoring 50 being a possibility due to shooting... he currently has 3 less shots than matthews in 2 less games.... unless i missunderstood what you meant. This season he is putting alot more on goal but apparantly still being a bit selective according to people who watch him more than i do.

I was looking at last year's shot rates. It's way too soon to talk about shot rates in 17-18.

I did look at his shot chart on hockeyviz though and it's looks just as scattered as it did last season.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I was looking at last year's shot rates. It's way too soon to talk about shot rates in 17-18.

I did look at his shot chart on hockeyviz though and it's looks just as scattered as it did last season.

I updated my reply a little while before you answered to bring up shot location as that is the main difference so far this season. Again my prediction is still that Laine will start shooting closer to the net, but that developement is moving slower than the shot totals but it will come as he is realizing that those longshots even with his shots will go in less and less at this level. And with that shot from in closer...yeah. still he needs to develope a but with puck handling in close before he gets really effective at it. Matthews is on another level in this area obviously.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016

Matthews has some sick goals this season. I like his deceptive body language, it is really appealing to me for some reason.

Reactions: Narow

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I'm talking about on-ice sh%... This is the team's sh% when a player is on the ice... Not the individual sh%.
Did you see the stat, player S% with and without Laine? It was prettty strange. Players doubled their S% when playing with Laine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad