Who has the best peak in Dallas Stars' history?

Best peak in franchise history.

• Mike Modano

Votes: 134 56.3%
  • Marty Turco

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Sergei Zubov

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Jamie Benn

Votes: 32 13.4%
  • Tyler Seguin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jere Lethinen

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Derian Hatcher

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Miro Heiskanen

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • John Klingberg

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Jason Robertson

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Other

• Eddie Belfour

Votes: 29 12.2%
  • Ben Bishop

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dino Ciccarelli

• Total voters

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Thought I'd make a poll about best peak from a Dallas player in honor of Modano's erected statue.

For anyone confused, peak is at their absolute best. So we aren't taking into consideration their entire prime or careers. Otherwise, modano would probably win, and maybe Zubov close behind, then a huge gap with everyone else.

Benn

2014-15
1st in points, 2nd in PPG, 9th in goals.

2015-16
2nd in points, 3rd in PPG, 3rd in goals and GPG, 2nd in hart voting.

The only Art Ross winner and Hart finakist in franchise history. Probably the best offensive peak in franchise history, rivaled only by...

Seguin.

His peak was even shorter lived than Benn's. But he was 2nd in PPG in 2014-15 . I remember him being an Art Ross contender for much of that season, but injuries prevented him possibly going all the way, and he ended up 7th in Points.

And while that was his best season on a per game basis, he proved it wasn't a fluke. Was 4th the year before and 5th in PPG the year after.

Turco

2002-03
1st in sv%, 2nd in Vezina voting. Also one of the best puck handling goalies of his era. Bested only by arguably the best in that specific area, Brodeur. (Also happens to be who he lost the Vezina to that year)

Also led the league in sv% in the 2000-01 season, albeit in 26 games. His peak was also short lived, but he was the best at stopping pucks for a few seasons, and easily the best goalie in franchise history.

Modano

Uh.. not really sure what his best "peak" was to be honest.

1999 is statistically his best season from an offensive standpoint. Was 8th in goals and 8th in points. But was 10th in hart voting and 18th in selke voting, not his best placements for either award.

That would go to 1996-97 for overall award voting. He was 7th in hart voting and 4th in selke voting. Didn't finish top 10 in any offensive category.

But... His highest selke finish came in 2000 when he was a finalist (3rd place) the only time in his career.

Then there's 1997. 4th in PPG, by far his best offensive season in a per game basis.

Seems like his best defensive seasons didn't necessarily align with his best offensive ones. So as far as peak goes, there's a few to choose from as far as which version of Modano was the best.

Zubov

This one is more clear cut. 2005-06 is the only time he was a Norris finalist as a Dallas Star, coming in 3rd. It's by far his best season offensively with the club. Finished 2nd in scoring for defenseman. He has other comparable seasons statistically (like 1997 finishing 3rd in points for dman), but he didn't get as much Norris recognition. He's the only Norris finalist in franchise history other than..

Derian Hatcher.

He's the most intimidating physical presence in franchise history, and that aspect of his game along with his defensive prowess, was good enough to make him a finalist in 2002-03 despite his comparatively mediocre offensive numbers. Now whether it was deserved is another discussion, but it wouldn't feel right not to mention him.

Shout-out to Heiskanen who finished 7th in Norris voting on the basis of his two way play.

And Lethinen who was the best defensive forward in the game during his peak and in franchise history.

3 selke trophy wins is the most of any winger other than Gainey, Who is considered by some to be the best defensive forward of all time.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Turco was good, and had brilliant numbers in 02-03, but do Dallas fans even think his peak was above Belfour’s? Belfour led the league in SV% with the team in 99-00 (and was 2nd to Hasek over his first 3 years with the team), and his back to back finals runs were awesome.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Turco was good, and had brilliant numbers in 02-03, but do Dallas fans even think his peak was above Belfour’s? Belfour led the league in SV% with the team in 99-00 (and was 2nd to Hasek over his first 3 years with the team), and his back to back finals runs were awesome.
My first thought would have been Belfour too.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Completely forgot about Belfour. Added him in the poll options. So if your "other" vote was for Belfour, you can change your vote.

Belfour is a good option though. Led the league in sv% playing 62 games in the 1999 season and placed 4th in Vezina voting.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Completely forgot about Belfour. Added him in the poll options. So if your "other" vote was for Belfour, you can change your vote.

Belfour is a good option though. Led the league in sv% playing 62 games in the 1999 season and placed 4th in Vezina voting.

Plus the playoff runs. Insane performances with little offensive support at times, i.e. Dallas scoring a whopping 34 goals in 17 games in the 1998 playoffs.

Reactions: Felidae

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Bishop should probably be on here too. Vezina finalist.

Went with Benn. Only guy to win a scoring award, which isn't gonna happen again for a Star for a good 20+ years.

Reactions: Felidae

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Bishop should probably be on here too. Vezina finalist.

Went with Benn. Only guy to win a scoring award, which isn't gonna happen again for a Star for a good 20+ years.
Added.

Bishop is easy to forget since he was there for only a season or two.

Led the league in sv% that year too.

Reactions: LT

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Zubov. A 1D who at times scored at ridiculous clips.

True.....but technically it could also be argued that Zubov's peak (at least offensively) was with the Rangers. :laugh:

As far as some other names mentioned, Turco was an absolute beast in his prime, setting the single-season GAA record (1.72 I think) and putting up otherworldly numbers in a heroic effort against Vancouver one year. I mean how many times has a goalie picked up three shutouts in a single series.

Robertson should be getting some recognition for last year's incredible season - even though it's looking like he won't come close to repeating thos enumbers. Still got his name in the record books.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Hard to believe chi had hasek and Belfour and ended keeping neither

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
True.....but technically it could also be argued that Zubov's peak (at least offensively) was with the Rangers. :laugh:

As far as some other names mentioned, Turco was an absolute beast in his prime, setting the single-season GAA record (1.72 I think) and putting up otherworldly numbers in a heroic effort against Vancouver one year. I mean how many times has a goalie picked up three shutouts in a single series.

Robertson should be getting some recognition for last year's incredible season - even though it's looking like he won't come close to repeating thos enumbers. Still got his name in the record books.
All true, though I’d say picking one peak season for Zubov would probably be 1995-96 as a penguin, where he was over a point per game and mature enough to be considered elite defensively as well.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
All true, though I’d say picking one peak season for Zubov would probably be 1995-96 as a penguin, where he was over a point per game and mature enough to be considered elite defensively as well.

I'll forever be grateful for Mario, if the rumours are true that he essentially forced the Pens' hand and had them trade Zubov over powerplay usage. :laugh:

What a coup by Dallas!

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Mike Modano for me remember he played his prime under Ken Hitchcock who was a defensive master. Modano would have put up much higher numbers under someone more offensive minded.

Edit, Oh and f*** Bacbcock for sitting Modano and keeping him from game 1500.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad