Who Had More Pure Ability: Gretzky Or Lemieux?

Which player had more pure ability?

• Total voters

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I think most if not all of us can agree that Gretzky had a better career, but I was watching a video on YouTube and saw that a number of people said that Lemieux was the better player of the two...

Pinned by SPORTSNET
Christian Katic1 week ago
"People will debate whether or not this is true, but I think he is the greatest of all time."

Johnathan Brabant1 week ago
Greatest player to ever lace up the skates imo. Gretzky was great, but Mario was super. Injuries stopped him from being #1 officially.

PowerPlay 061 week ago (edited)
This is great, if not for illness, he would surpass Gretzky

Kreutz1 week ago
Mario Lemieux was the Michael Jordan of ice hockey.

I believe it's quite clear that Lemieux was the fancier and flashier stickhandler of the two, but "ability" also includes the mental aspects of hockey and things such as vision, anticipation and passing ability.

Which player had more pure ability?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Obviously Lemieux had the best physical tools in NHL history, goes without saying. Gretzky had by far the best "sense" (IQ/vision/decision making etc.).

Based on your definition of pure ability (physical and mental), the answer is probably Gretzky.

Last edited:

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I'm more of a Lemieux fan. There was something about Gretzky that's hard to quantify, but he had a better ability to bring his A-game night in, night out. He played every game and every shift like his team needed to score. Don Cherry called Lemieux a floater especially early on his career, and he wasn't lying. Gretzky brought 98% of Lemieux's ability 100% of the time. Lemieux brought 100% of his ability 70% off the time. We'd see flashes of Lemieux's brilliance that would make us ooh and aah, but even accounting for his bad back and cancer, he still left too much on the table comparatively speaking.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
The way I see it....

Mario had the better overall tools as a complete player.

Wayne had the better hockey IQ, vision and playmaking ability.

Both guys saw the game actual seconds before other players and had amazing hands, and were great leaders who won multiple cups. What amaEs
Me is how Mario as a player only won two and Gretzky only one cups with just one team considering of the games nost elte players most of them stuck to just one team outside Wayne.

I didn’t like Mario but I think he at his prime could be the most dominant player in any ice, any place, any time, anywhere in the history of hockey. (Shout our to jagr, Orr and forsberg/lindros for being This way too)

Reactions: Kreator

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Obviously Lemieux had the best physical tools in NHL history, goes without saying. Gretzky had by far the best "sense" (IQ/vision/decision making etc.).

Based on your definition of pure ability (physical and mental), the answer is probably Gretzky.

Bobby Orr had the best physical tools in NHL history.

He also brought a level of physicality and toughness (he was a viscous fighter like Howe was) that Lemieux couldn’t come close to matching. Bobby Orr is the best two way hockey player of all time, offensive tools it’s close but factoring in Orr’s complete game I don’t see how he’s not #1 in history.

As for the poll, Lemieux obviously had better physical tools than Gretzky. As we all know it was Gretzky’s hockey IQ that separated him not his raw physical gifts.

Reactions: klingsor

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I think Lemieux was the better athlete, but Gretzky was the smarter player. Deking and shooting go to Mario, but playmaking and vision go to Gretzky.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
"Pure ability" is a weird and misleading term. Is there some kind of "impure" ability? Are you just asking about stick skills in a weird way?

Skill/ability is a huge pile of things that funnel into one: whatever best helps your team win. That doesn't necessarily help anybody know the answer to this question, but I think you definitely won't get the best answers with the way you've asked it.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Lemieux had prototype size. Gretzky had the kind that makes scouts go "Really?" That's why Gretzky in my mind, was better, even though Lemieux was the most terrifying player I've ever seen. There's no logical explanation for Gretzky being dominant. There is for Lemieux.

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Lemieux had prototype size. Gretzky had the kind that makes scouts go "Really?" That's why Gretzky in my mind, was better, even though Lemieux was the most terrifying player I've ever seen. There's no logical explanation for Gretzky being dominant. There is for Lemieux.

Could you imagine being a D man seeing him barreling down at you one on one with the puck on his stick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad