Who Do You Want To Back-up Elliott?

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
At first glance, my pick is Reimer. If we can get him on a 1-2 year deal for cheap, it seems like a great move. But the more I think about it, I'm not totally sure. Elliot (imo) deserves a chance to be the top dawg at least to start the year. If we bring in Reimer, does that not start a tandem discussion? Or do you want a tandem this year? I think we should bring back Ortio (he would sign for cheap and short term) and give Elliot the ball.

What do you guys think? Who do you think the Flames should get?

moon*

I mentioned it in the Elliot thread but I think that Ortio is the best option considering salary and playing time requests.

Reimer, Hutton, Enroth, Montoya would all be nice options but I think they will want too much money and want to play too many games, Reimer especially.

I think Elliot should be able to play 55-60 games. Yes he didn't play that much in St. Louis but I think that was due to Allen being good not Elliott not being able to do it.

With the looks of our top 6 wingers, and questions about if and how well Tkachuk can play for the Flames this year, I would much rather spend the extra money on a FA winger than a back-up goalie.

Ortio is nothing more than meh I would be fine if they move him and bring in someone better but I think he is good enough not to hurt us too bad in the 20 or so game he would need to play or we can get a guy mid-season if need be.

Also a huge, gigantic no to Ramo. This guy has proven to be a bad goalie in the NHL. I am not sure what he did to brainwash some Flames fans but he is an awful, awful goalie.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Ortio is more than an adequate backup. Gives Elliott the chance to prove he's a bona fide number one rather than a mere 1A/1B type. And saves some cap space for improving the forward group. Also lets Ortio show if he can be anything more.

Kind of expecting them to sign Enroth or acquire Hutton though.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
If we go with someone other than Ortio I think Johnson could be a decent option. He'd still allow Elliott to be the starter but is a little more proven and perhaps offers a bit more stability than Ortio.

If we want a tandem type situation then I think Reimer or Ramo are probably the best choices or someone else cheap in a trade.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Ortio's my favorite option and Reimer/Enroth/Johnson are ok too depending on the term. Montoya, Lindback, Gustavsson and Hutton would be ghastly.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Enroth would be my first choice. Reimer would be alright as well.

Not sold Ortio is the right backup for Elliott, a goalie who has never truly had a 'starters' workload. If we expect Elliott to suddenly start 65 games I can foresee what not working out well for us. A backup who we can comfortably start 25+ games would be an asset in my opinion.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Not sold Ortio is the right backup for Elliott, a goalie who has never truly had a 'starters' workload. If we expect Elliott to suddenly start 65 games I can foresee what not working out well for us. A backup who we can comfortably start 25+ games would be an asset in my opinion.

I agree, and I think management has the same idea after they hinted that they weren't done too.

moon*

Enroth would be my first choice. Reimer would be alright as well.

Has he never had a starters workload because he can't handle it or because Jake Allen was so good St. Louis needed to and could give him more time?

Plenty of guys haven't had starter workloads and been fine once given a bigger role. I think that Elliot should be ok to go for 60 games.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Has he never had a starters workload because he can't handle it or because Jake Allen was so good St. Louis needed to and could give him more time?

Plenty of guys haven't had starter workloads and been fine once given a bigger role. I think that Elliot should be ok to go for 60 games.

I don't mean to say he can't or couldn't handle a starters workload. I think that is why we acquired him, because we think we can.

I just mean that we hope for the best, but plan for the worst. That being, having a capable backup if Elliott starts to show signs of being worn out/overworked.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Ramo, but then it leaves Ortio and Gillies battling for starts in the AHL. I think Ortio makes the most sense. He'll be cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad