Who do you want the Canes to draft?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Leberge definitely has some things you can't teach, but I don't like that he essentially got demoted from center to wing in his third year. He's still interesting but I feel like it's a real boom or bust situation.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Leberge definitely has some things you can't teach, but I don't like that he essentially got demoted from center to wing in his third year. He's still interesting but I feel like it's a real boom or bust situation.

My sense is that if we take the "safe" route with #13 then we need a high risk/high reward pick at #21. If we flip flop those options, then I'd take the high reward guy at #21.

So if you end up with a McLeod at #13 then you look at DeBrincat, Abramov, or Laberge at #21. If you end up with Keller or Bellows at #13, then you look at Rubtsov, Thompson, Grundstrom, Howden, or even Raddysh at #21, assuming one or more of them are still there (which almost surely they will be).

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Keller

Jost
Brown
Bellows

In that order are my choices. I give Keller the slight edge over everyone else though. He reminds me a little bit of Zach Parise. I don't think he's going to be available when we pick at 13. I might be in the minority, but I think he would be worth trying to move up in the draft to grab him.

Colorado seems like a good partner. Their d-pool aint that great and sounds like Barrie might get moved? They slide down in the draft and likely get one of Sergachev, Chychrun, or Juolevi. We slide up and take Keller from New Jersey/Ottawa as I think it's likely their target.

Cost of moving up? Maybe something around Ryan Murphy + one of our 3rd's?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
So what if all three of Gauthier, Jones, and Kunin are there at #21. What do we do?

Personally I couldn't imagine passing on Gauthier at that point.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
At #21 it would depend on who we picked up at #13, but in a vacuum with those three, I like Kunin, but also like Jones a lot, too.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I take Jones because

1) I like that nastiness. A top-6 winger who makes opponents think twice about free wheeling around the ice or going into a board battle is very useful
2) If anyone has a lot of potential left to show its Jones. He was stuck behind the best line in the CHL. The only chance he got to carry his team was during the WJC and he did a fantastic job

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If that was the case, I'd want the Canes to go off the board and surprise all of us. That way, we can see some good draft day hot takes and then in a year, when the guy we drafted does great, we can ridicule those with the hot takes. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I don't know enough about those guys to say who to take, but I'm of the view we need goal scorers and skill, so lean that way.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If that was the case, I'd want the Canes to go off the board and surprise all of us. That way, we can see some good draft day hot takes and then in a year, when the guy we drafted does great, we can ridicule those with the hot takes. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I don't know enough about those guys to say who to take, but I'm of the view we need goal scorers and skill, so lean that way.

Yeah, I'd be happy if they went size with the first pick then taking pure skill with #21 and grabbing DeBrincat or Abramov.....or maybe even going off the board a bit as there'a ton of wildcards in the 2nd round.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

What's with the sarcasm emoji?

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
So what if all three of Gauthier, Jones, and Kunin are there at #21. What do we do?

Personally I couldn't imagine passing on Gauthier at that point.

Take Kunin. He's the most-complete player and has a lot of goal-scoring ability. Gauthier is a better goal-scorer but he's like Skinner in that if he's not scoring, he's not contributing in a meaningful way.

I'm just not as high on Jones. I like the nastiness in his game, but I just think he's the lesser-talented of the 3.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Take Kunin. He's the most-complete player and has a lot of goal-scoring ability. Gauthier is a better goal-scorer but he's like Skinner in that if he's not scoring, he's not contributing in a meaningful way.

I'm just not as high on Jones. I like the nastiness in his game, but I just think he's the lesser-talented of the 3.

If we get Bellows at 13, I'd take Kunin > Gauthier at 21

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Between the three, I'd err on the side of caution and take Kunin. Depends on whether Carolina would rather play Bellows at wing or center (haha talking like he's already a Hurricane). I could see Jones or Gauthier being not elite players, but key cogs in a contending team.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Every time I watch clips of Bellows I like him more and more. Man, what a heavy shot that kid has. Like Ray Sheppard the deluxe edition.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Chan, I guess I've not seen that take on Guthier. As a matter of fact most of what I've read about him hails his work ethic, which indicates that he's contributing in his own zone. For example, from Elite Prospects:

"An explosive power forward who boasts an elite-level skill package. Takes nothing for granted and plays with hard-nosed work ethic."

"Willingness to play physical and win battles in his own end makes him a vital asset, stepping up at the game's key moments."

That doesn't sound like a guy who is not contributing when he doesn't have the puck.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Chan, I guess I've not seen that take on Guthier. As a matter of fact most of what I've read about him hails his work ethic, which indicates that he's contributing in his own zone. For example, from Elite Prospects:

"An explosive power forward who boasts an elite-level skill package. Takes nothing for granted and plays with hard-nosed work ethic."

"Willingness to play physical and win battles in his own end makes him a vital asset, stepping up at the game's key moments."

That doesn't sound like a guy who is not contributing when he doesn't have the puck.

I think he may have meant offensively. He played on a high scoring team (Gauthier was tied for 5th in scoring and there were 3 80+ point forwards) in the Q but was only able to put up 16 assists compared to 41 goals. That is kind of a weird discrepancy. I have read articles knocking his vision and ability to utilize teammates.

My experience watching Gauthier was limited to Canada's WJC Camp and the WJC. In Camp he was one of the best players on the ice and I didn't see any problems with his ability as a playmaker. I recall a couple impressive playmaker's assists, good positioning, and an overall physical presence that was tangible. He looked so good he made the team which is impressive for a Draft eligible. He wasn't nearly as effective or noticeable in the actual WJC but that isn't shocking given his low role.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Had started looking at #43 and #50 picks and Boris Katchouk caught my eye. Similar to Aho last year he is one of the youngest players in the Draft who has had a rocket of a development curve through his various junior leagues. Statistically there are a lot of comparisons to Fabbri in his Draft year, the stats don't blow you away but if you dig deeper you see he was extremely effective with the chances he had.

Brock on the prospects board did a really nice writeup on him recently:

12. Boris Katchouk - Forward - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Quietly one of the most effective draft eligible players in the OHL this year. Efficient is great word to describe him. Complete is another. Katchouk is just a really solid all around winger who can help you win hockey games in a variety of different ways. He's a tenacious forechecker and an absolute puck hound who's energy level at both ends of the ice is contagious. His quickness allows him to be first to loose pucks. It also makes him a very effective offensive player off the rush, where he has an underrated ability to accept passes and carry the play at full speed. He also demonstrates good vision. Going back to that word "efficiency," Katchouk is a darling when it comes to the analytic types. He finished in the top 60 of scoring in the league, but was down near 150th for shot attempts. He capitalizes on his scoring chances by anticipating the play well and just seems to really understand how to play without the puck. The question is, how good of a goal scorer can he be and how good are his hands? As a world class lacrosse player, I'm not sure we've seen the best of what he's capable of in that department. I think the key is adding velocity to his shot and becoming more confident in using it. Don't be surprised if this guy sneaks into the late first round. Was terrific in the OHL playoffs and was good at the U18's too.

(link http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2016.html)

As Brock also mentions above he is also an elite lacrosse player. I am biased as I played lacrosse my entire life but I do believe that it is the perfect compliment sport for Hockey. John Tavares was another notable excellent lacrosse player who attributed a portion of his hockey skills (hand-eye, agility, conditioning, etc.) to his love for lacrosse. Again, I think there are a lot of comparisons here to the situation Aho was in last year before he continued his ascendant development path.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Just watched Katchouk footage, damn that kid can skate and handles the puck at high speed, and gets physical on the boards and around the net. Unique combination of traits there, I'm guessing he has no scoring touch or he'd be more well-regarded.

Actually now that I say it, sounds a lot like an early-career Erik Cole.

59Rosebuds

Aug 17, 2015
Columbia
The question with Katchouk is, "Is he available when our first second comes around?" Or "Can he become something more than a middle six forward making it worthwhile for us to trade up to secure him?"

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
As an Islanders fan I hope you draft a defenseman

I am trying to work out a logical way Bellows can fall to 19 and you guys picking a defenseman(and leaving Mcleod for one of Minnesota, Detroit or Nashville to take) makes it that much easier. lol

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
As an Islanders fan I hope you draft a defenseman

I am trying to work out a logical way Bellows can fall to 19 and you guys picking a defenseman(and leaving Mcleod for one of Minnesota, Detroit or Nashville to take) makes it that much easier. lol

trade us tavares and you can have #13 for free

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad