Who do you want the Canes to draft?

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
I know he's not that popular around here, but I really like McLeod. I think, at worst, he'll make it as a 3rd line center... but I really see him as a #2C or a #1B type down the road if he can continue to develop. You can't teach speed and his two-way play IMO is something that I think Peters will like.

This is just me, (assuming the likes of Brown, Jost, Keller etc. are off the board) but I'd like to grab a 'safe' player at #13 (I think both McLeod and Bellows fit that criteria) and go for a 'swing for the fences' pick at #21 (someone like Rubtsov, Abramov, DeBrincat).

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Anybody here think we may use one of our "extra" 2nd or 3rd rounders on a goalie at the draft? I think most here are assuming that the organization is not going to "swing for the fences" with a goalie acquisition, but will get a stop gap until one of the "kids in the pipeline" develops in two or three years. If that is the case, I must admit I am not very confident in either of our best two candidates, Altshiftdelete or Needaspellcheck. Both have had spectacular portions of the previous season followed by meh or worse. I know we also have Booth from last year, but I would probably look to take a chance with NYR 2nd or one of the 3rds. I really like the Swede Filip Gustavsson and think he may make it to the Jet's 3rd and would target him there.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
In order of preference:

Jost, Keller, Bellows, Brown, Rubstov, Kunin, Jones, Trade...McLeod, Bean, McAvoy.

Where everybody after "trade" is basically-equal at "no interest whatsoever."

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I wouldn't be entirely opposed to McLeod, just think he's not what we need and would be disappointed if we took him over Bellows with both on the board.

Anybody here think we may use one of our "extra" 2nd or 3rd rounders on a goalie at the draft? I think most here are assuming that the organization is not going to "swing for the fences" with a goalie acquisition, but will get a stop gap until one of the "kids in the pipeline" develops in two or three years. If that is the case, I must admit I am not very confident in either of our best two candidates, Altshiftdelete or Needaspellcheck. Both have had spectacular portions of the previous season followed by meh or worse. I know we also have Booth from last year, but I would probably look to take a chance with NYR 2nd or one of the 3rds. I really like the Swede Filip Gustavsson and think he may make it to the Jet's 3rd and would target him there.

Maybe one of the 3rds if Fitz or Hart is still on the board. I think for sure our first 3 picks are going to be forwards unless there's an absolute shocker of a dman that's falling. But I think we'll round out the draft with some defense and a goalie after the 45th pick mark for sure.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Anybody here think we may use one of our "extra" 2nd or 3rd rounders on a goalie at the draft?

I just don't think it makes sense. We definitely need more time for Altshuller and Nedeljkovic to develop...but we need a goalie today. So...the stopgap (I'm not sure "stopgap" is the right word, but it's the one you used so we'll stick with it...I think it'll be someone's "young-enough" backup) is imperative either way; if in two more years neither of the kids develops into a starting goalie, we can stay with the stopgap a while longer or target a big-name then as we should be competitive at that point.

The plan is clearly to add a goalie/year to the system...but I don't think we need another high-end spec in the mix, especially when goalie specs are basically going for no value in trades. It makes more sense to grab someone late that we see something in that flew under the radar or to pursue a college UFA.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC

I fully expect this to happen. I know he's not a popular name, but I think Andersen will be available for a 2nd, likely our 2nd, and probably a lesser prospect. Even if it isn't Andersen, the goalie UFA list looks very underwhelming, so I doubt GMRF spends money on any of them. Either way, I highly doubt Carolina actually uses their first 4 picks at the draft.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
We may use the Rangers 2nd to make an acquisition, but Andersen isn't the guy I'd give that up for unless we have a long-term deal ready to go on him. Would MUCH rather go hard after Bishop or Varlamov.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Logan might've been born in North Carolina but North Carolina was born in Clayton.

This is what I mean:

If you google search Clayton, NC, the city website says "Welcome to Clayton, North Carolina" signifying that
1. At some point in time, North Carolina's request to enter was a decision made by Clayton himself and eventually he accepted by saying, "welcome to Clayton, North Carolina".
2. It's also a town.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Logan might've been born in North Carolina but North Carolina was born in Clayton.

This is what I mean:

If you google search Clayton, NC, the city website says "Welcome to Clayton, North Carolina" signifying that
1. At some point in time, North Carolina's request to enter was a decision made by Clayton himself and eventually he accepted by saying, "welcome to Clayton, North Carolina".
2. It's also a town.

So, I'm guessing that at some point this evening, you were all like "I don't care, just shoot me up with all the drugs."

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I was way overexauggerating his ties to the area :laugh:

The fact that Brown was born (I think) in NC is really cool and I would happily pick him at 13 given the lack of other choices. However, I would not select him over Clayton Keller but I get why people would. As recent as last year's draft can serve as an example of people's and scouts' opinions on playmaking types of players.

Dylan Strome and Mitch Marner were nip and tuck the whole year in the OHL leading to the draft. Strome put together a clutch string of points at the end of the season to beat Marner's point totals, however his PPG% wasn't higher. Marner scored 2 points per game, and about 1.9 for Strome but Strome scored more points. I started leaning more towards Strome going into the playoffs.

Judging based on player types, these two are good comparables for Keller and Brown. Aside from vision and playmaking skills which they all obviously have, Strome and Brown are preferred for their long reach and strength on the puck. Marner and Keller for their speed and endless pursuit of the puck.

In the end, we saw how strongly Arizona brass felt about Strome because they wouldn't even trade their pick to Boston, let alone pick Marner. Those reasons could be any of the ones that I mentioned above.
- Size, strength on the puck, and long reach
- Upsetting Marner, specifically towards the end of the OHL season, getting the most points in the OHL that season

The consensus is still out amongst Strome and Marner, as it is between Keller and Brown. Last year, I preferred Strome. This year, I prefer Keller. I still couldn't be happier with the guy(s) we got last year. Aho and Roy were nice surprises!

Last edited:

59Rosebuds

Aug 17, 2015
Columbia
Chose Brown. If he is still there at 13 it would be awesome. Then target Thompson with 21. Potentially two big skilled guys to add right there.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Chose Brown. If he is still there at 13 it would be awesome. Then target Thompson with 21. Potentially two big skilled guys to add right there.

Read an article recently blasting Thompson for being a passenger of Letunov. I think his 5-on-5 scoring was really low. I watched zero of his games so I can't comment, just found it interesting.

The way things are shaping up it appears there is another drop around #21-24 in talent. Really hoping the Canes can snag one of Kunin, Jones, Rubstov, Gauthier, or DeBrincat there.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Partly (but not the only reason) why I chose Bellows is because I really think Keller especially, and probably Jost and Brown also won't be there when the Canes pick so I took that into account.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I don't really dislike any of the forwards slated around 13.

Would prefer Jost, Brown, Keller but after that I don't mind Bellows.

Voting Jost.

59Rosebuds

Aug 17, 2015
Columbia
Read an article recently blasting Thompson for being a passenger of Letunov. I think his 5-on-5 scoring was really low. I watched zero of his games so I can't comment, just found it interesting.

The way things are shaping up it appears there is another drop around #21-24 in talent. Really hoping the Canes can snag one of Kunin, Jones, Rubstov, Gauthier, or DeBrincat there.

People can say what they think, and that is fine. But people also had said DeBrincat was a byproduct of McDavid. Now they might say he is a byproduct of Strome. It takes talent to play with talent.

Any of the other guys would be fine. Gauthier would be my first choice of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if Boston grabbed him.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
People can say what they think, and that is fine. But people also had said DeBrincat was a byproduct of McDavid. Now they might say he is a byproduct of Strome. It takes talent to play with talent.

Any of the other guys would be fine. Gauthier would be my first choice of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if Boston grabbed him.

Agreed on both points. I think somebody is going to get Gauthier as he's a top talent most likely to fall....and, from what I can tell, mostly due to not playing as a "team guy" something that is eminently teachable. I also think Kunin is going to be very, very good. That whole crew of big 2nd rounders is also going to be interesting. Guys like Tufte and Thompson may be there in the 2nd round as probably will Nate Bastian. But the interesting guys start with Brett Howden, Taylor Raddysh, Cameron Morrison, and Mitchell Mattson, all likely gone by the end of the 2nd round. There's also some very interesting, bigger Euro's that likely go in the 2nd to 4th round like Janne Kuokkanen, Linus Lindstrom, maybe Otto Koivula, or the older guys Henrik Borgstrom or Kasper Bjorkqvist. The Finns have a nice pipeline of guys coming up.

All these guys have size and serious skill. Their skating is all over the map but that's fixable.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

I was more wondering if you had actually gotten a chance to watch Thompson and, if so, what your opinion was versus a guy like Kunin or Gauthier. A number of mock Drafts I have seen have Thompson falling to the Canes' 2nd.

59Rosebuds

Aug 17, 2015
Columbia
I was more wondering if you had actually gotten a chance to watch Thompson and, if so, what your opinion was versus a guy like Kunin or Gauthier. A number of mock Drafts I have seen have Thompson falling to the Canes' 2nd.

Ohhh. Yes I actually got a chance to see him in person. Obviously his biggest asset is his size, but has some nice skill to go with it. Seemed to me that both he and Letunov would drive the play in a give and go. I would've described him as a power forward with a really good shot. Especially at the tops of the circles. Gauthier probably has a better skill set than him which is what makes me believe that he will be gone before pick 21. People are really high on Kunin. But I am not struck by anything special with him. He will be a good safe player. But I am not impressed by his highlights.

59Rosebuds

Aug 17, 2015
Columbia

If we get to 21 and it seems like Thompson will drop, and someone management likes more. I would be fine with using our second on him.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
My choices go something like this:

Near tie between Brown, Jost, Keller, and Bellows - any would be just fine

Kunin, Gauthier (he won't be there), Tufte, Laberge, Jones, Thompson, Abramov, and DeBrincat

I think Thompson is better than some pundits are saying. I've seen some video and he's an excellent skater for a big man. Sure he benefited from a good distributor and his scoring on the PP dwarfed his even strength efforts. But he plays big in front of the net, and while not physical, he doesn't shy away from contact. My take is he needs a bit more development in the NCAA and he's a true NHL power forward.

A guy that gets overlooked in a lot of these discussions is Pascal Laberge. Dude is a passing magician. His shot is often under-rated. He's also scrappy and once he grows into his 6'1" frame he'll be even more impressive. In the CHL Top Prospects game he had a beautiful feed to Dubois for a goal while scoring twice himself. I'd also be okay w/picking one of the smaller snipers w/#21 as I think we can go back again for the size/skill combo w/ #43 and #50 if so desired.

Finally, I could also see Charlie McAvoy or Jake Bean still being on the board at #21. McAvoy would be an interesting option as he's already played a season in the NCAA for BU and showed quite well.

It is so nice having options!

EDIT: McAvoy is a right shot defender and adding another blue chip RD prospect to the fold would really open up some trade options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad