Pre-Game Talk: Who do you want in the 1st round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Let me hop in the time machine and let you guys know how this would work.

We play Chicago. If we lose, we all throw tantrums about another one and done playoff appearance. Even those who wanted to play them will complain about reasons A, B or C why we just couldn't beat them.

We play Anaheim or anyone else. If we win, absolutely zero people will care that we didn't beat the Hawks.

Or we play Anaheim and they want revenge for last year and put us out.

Or we play Chicago and finally slay the dragon and use the momentum to push to the WCF.

We can play this game all day long, what matters is we are in the playoffs and we are healthy. There are a bunch of teams in the league who can't say both of those things.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

Or we play Chicago and finally slay the dragon and use the momentum to push to the WCF.

We can play this game all day long, what matters is we are in the playoffs and we are healthy. There are a bunch of teams in the league who can't say both of those things.
My point is once it gets started no one really cares who we play as long as we win. I don't think anyone would prefer to lose to Chicago and say "well at least we had our chance" than beat anyone else.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

According to the injury reports, we have 5 guys injured right now . I know they were trying to rest them, but it seems weird to say they are injured and day to day instead of just say "scratching" them.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/injuries/_/team/nsh
http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/nashville-predators-team-injuries?season=2016
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/injuries

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
My point is once it gets started no one really cares who we play as long as we win. I don't think anyone would prefer to lose to Chicago and say "well at least we had our chance" than beat anyone else.

Exactly! I'd rather take the best chances of moving on than take on the biggest challenge first. I understand that you got to beat the best, but sometimes the best get knocked out in round 1 and the little guys are left.

Plus, I consider anything short of making the 2nd round this year a failure on the year.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
According to the injury reports, we have 5 guys injured right now . I know they were trying to rest them, but it seems weird to say they are injured and day to day instead of just say "scratching" them.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/injuries/_/team/nsh
http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/nashville-predators-team-injuries?season=2016
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/injuries

The NHL allows you to be intentionally vague. A UBI can be a broken collar bone or a bee sting. The NFL makes teams be very specific about injuries which sucks for the teams. If I had to guess I would say our most banged up players are Neal and Fisher but I have no doubts about either of those guys being ready to go come Game 1.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I want the Ducks but if the Hawks are in the way, then chop that tree down. As Ric Flair says: To be the best, you have to beat the best. wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :laugh:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I want the Ducks but if the Hawks are in the way, then chop that tree down. As Ric Flair says: To be the best, you have to beat the best. wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :laugh:

I disagree with this as all 16 teams don't play each other in the playoffs. Sometimes a fluke causes the best to get knocked out early.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
IMO this is what will doom us this post season no matter who the opponent is. In a 7 game series, you do not have time for inconsistencies. All it takes is a one or two game lapse in play and you are done.

Sometimes that is the case, sometimes not- last year is prime example.

We had a THREE game lapse against Anaheim- in games 3, 4, and 5 we were flat out terrible.

And still won the series.

Bottom line- in the playoffs sometimes there is no rhyme or reason- you just never know what is going to happen, or HOW it is going to happen.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I think you're off on the Preds having a better team than the Hawks. I think it's close, but they have three different Conn Smythe winners over there and plenty of other guys with very good postseason histories. Even on a down year, Toews>Johansen, Kane>>Forsberg, etc. etc...

Not to mention Crawford has as many wins in the postseason as Rinne has games played. Also, even though Crawford hasn't exactly been stellar in the playoffs, he is rocking a career .920 SV% to Rinne's .912. Hawks in 6 again, in my opinion.

Not going to disagree that Toews and Kane are better than our two best players. After that though, tell me how their forward corp is deeper or better than ours?

Keith is better in the playoffs than anyone we have but beyond him, who on their team stacks up against our top 4? Overall, I like our top 4 much better.

Rinne vs. Crawford. Yeah, Crawford has won Cups but we've also chased him from the net.

The big difference and what makes Chicago so tough is Q knows how to rotate his defense so he has one of Keith, Seabrook or Hjarmalsson on the ice at all times. If we have to play any of our third pairing guys, we need to do it with one of our top 4 so we always have one of them on the ice. Q is a master of this. Lavy needs to follow suit. Between Josi and Subban, one of them should always be on the ice much like Pronger and Niedermayer used to do in Anaheim.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I don't remember anything about Kimmo from that series. I forgot he was on the team.
Which is why I mentioned him! It was the only good thing about that series and the eventual Hawks cup! He played very little in that series and in Nashville.
People forget the Predators had home ice in that series and it was not a factor at all. This team has a better chance at being swept than winning it! I guess seeing Tootoo win a cup will be cool but whatever. We are always a stepping stone to another Hawks cup. But if we were to win out west then all bets are off. Honestly I see Calgary softening up the Hawks and the Blues beating them but if they play the Predators then they win it all again.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Not going to disagree that Toews and Kane are better than our two best players. After that though, tell me how their forward corp is deeper or better than ours?

Keith is better in the playoffs than anyone we have but beyond him, who on their team stacks up against our top 4? Overall, I like our top 4 much better.

Rinne vs. Crawford. Yeah, Crawford has won Cups but we've also chased him from the net.

The big difference and what makes Chicago so tough is Q knows how to rotate his defense so he has one of Keith, Seabrook or Hjarmalsson on the ice at all times. If we have to play any of our third pairing guys, we need to do it with one of our top 4 so we always have one of them on the ice. Q is a master of this. Lavy needs to follow suit. Between Josi and Subban, one of them should always be on the ice much like Pronger and Niedermayer used to do in Anaheim.

Panarin has 30 goals and 73 points, that's much better than any Pred as well. The Hawks also have 6 total 20+ goal scorers and one with 19. The Preds have 3 and one with 18.

While their top 4 might be slightly weaker from top to bottom, Keith, Hjalmarsson, Seabrook, Campbell and Oduya is not too shabby at all. And of course Crawford >>> Rinne. Top to bottom, I'm taking the Hawks and it's not a particularly tough choice.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Panarin has 30 goals and 73 points, that's much better than any Pred as well. The Hawks also have 6 total 20+ goal scorers and one with 19. The Preds have 3 and one with 18.

While their top 4 might be slightly weaker from top to bottom, Keith, Hjalmarsson, Seabrook, Campbell and Oduya is not too shabby at all. And of course Crawford >>> Rinne. Top to bottom, I'm taking the Hawks and it's not a particularly tough choice.

Agreed. Sure, anything can happen in the postseason, but I struggle to find any basis on which to be confident we can beat them. They are better, deeper and more consistent, and that doesn't even factor in their level of playoff experience and experience driving the nail into this particular coffin. I think every game will be tight and several go to OT, but will be surprised if we're not bounced in 5 or 6. Thrilled if they prove me wrong though.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Do you not remember 2015? Every single game in Nashville was an 8:30 start. The only time the game wasn't an 8:30 start was when NBC decided to have it earlier on a weekend game in Chicago.

Nope didn't remember that. Oh well, maybe we will get lucky with some weekend home games this year. Either way I couldn't care less who we play in round 1. But if Chicago gets put out of these playoffs I'd love to see it happen at Bridgestone.

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?
Agreed. Sure, anything can happen in the postseason, but I struggle to find any basis on which to be confident we can beat them. They are better, deeper and more consistent, and that doesn't even factor in their level of playoff experience and experience driving the nail into this particular coffin. I think every game will be tight and several go to OT, but will be surprised if we're not bounced in 5 or 6. Thrilled if they prove me wrong though.

Agreed, beating Chicago is wishful thinking at best.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I just figure if we beat Chicago we have a chance to go further, we beat Anaheim we are done in round 2 from the travel and getting beat on, just like last year.

Pick your poison, best team in the west, or lots of goon ing and beat up guys.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
To me it all boils down to not liking the idea of letting another city and fan base bully Nashville and Preds fans around.

Like it or not, the reality is that's what Chicago and Hawks fans are doing to us, simply by us doing what we do and even discussing it.
Also the league and NBC wants the Hawks to advance so the refs will never give the Predators a break in the series.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Who gives up quicker, preds fans or the French army?

There's a difference between giving up and being realistic. Just like there's a difference between being a massive homer and being optimistic *cough* *cough*...

I fully expect the Hawks to win in 6, but I'll be at every home game and glued to my TV for the away games, rooting as hard as anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad