Pre-Game Talk: Who do you want in the 1st round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Hawks. I don't think this team is winning a cup, so I'll take playing spoiler to CHI. Losing would be no big surprise and winning would be 10x better than beating ANA again imo.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Hawks. I don't think this team is winning a cup, so I'll take playing spoiler to CHI. Losing would be no big surprise and winning would be 10x better than beating ANA again imo.

I like your mind set. Go big or go home.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Looking as if it is going to come down to the last game. Either be toast in the 1st round or have a legit chance to do damage. I honestly think they make the conference finals if they play the Ducks, but lose in 4 or 5 to the Blackhawks.

Last edited:

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
At this point rather than it being who do you want in the 1st round it's more like who are we going to be playing in the 1st round. Chicago seems to be who we are going to be playing in the 1st so might as well get in the mindset of playing them and going to beat them. Time to go balls to the walls and leave everything out on the ice. No time for self doubt; going to just need to go out there and get the job done. Plain and simple. You want to get pass the first round then you better go out there and beat the Blackhawks!!! Where there is a will there is a way. And if you don't win you better at least die trying!!! All I can ask is for the Preds to give everything they got every shift whoever they play and put their best effort out there.

Last edited:

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I want Chicago because I think that gives us the better chance for reasonable game start times. Plus who doesn't want to beat Chicago in the 1st round?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
The Ducks just took the Hawks to the cleaners yesterday, and they're the favourites in the West now with Carlyle behind the bench instead of Boudreau. Their offense is as deep as Pittsburgh's imo, their d-core is top-5 and they have a really good goalie duo in the net. Their special teams are clicking, they don't have any holes in their game.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Cam Fowler confirmed out for 2-6 weeks with knee ligament sprain, as per the Ducks GM.

So he's out for round 1 at least (and if he suits up for game 7 by some miracle he would not be close to 100%).

Hopefully the Preds win the last game and capture the WC1 from the Flames, who are playing a solid playoff team that same day.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I want Chicago because I think that gives us the better chance for reasonable game start times. Plus who doesn't want to beat Chicago in the 1st round?

Do you not remember 2015? Every single game in Nashville was an 8:30 start. The only time the game wasn't an 8:30 start was when NBC decided to have it earlier on a weekend game in Chicago.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
NBC caters to two things come playoff time: the Eastern Conference, and the Chicago Blackhawks.

If 8:30 central time starts ensures that NBC will be able to air a whole Blackhawks game, an 8:30 central start time is what it'll be.

ndgt10

Jul 3, 2009
Poland
The Ducks just took the Hawks to the cleaners yesterday, and they're the favourites in the West now with Carlyle behind the bench instead of Boudreau. Their offense is as deep as Pittsburgh's imo, their d-core is top-5 and they have a really good goalie duo in the net. Their special teams are clicking, they don't have any holes in their game.
You realize Chicago was using their AHL team last night, right?

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017

Well, I'll just say that this post is ridiculous and leave it at that.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Do you not remember 2015? Every single game in Nashville was an 8:30 start. The only time the game wasn't an 8:30 start was when NBC decided to have it earlier on a weekend game in Chicago.
I remember 2015 losing the series with home ice advantage, a 3 goal lead lost in game 1, uncompetitive in 2 road games in Chicago. Watching the Hawks use the momentum to win the cup.

Do you remember 2016? Beating the Ducks in 7 games, winning 3 games in Anaheim, going to the 2nd round, Colin Wilson dominating, Fisher's and RV's OT game winners, taking the Sharks to 7 games.

I would rather have these memories than another disappointing handshake line with Chicago.

Last edited:

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I remember 2015 losing the series with home ice advantage, a 3 goal lead lost in game 1, uncompetitive in 2 road games in Chicago. Watching the Hawks use the momentum to win the cup.

Do you remember 2016? Beating the Ducks in 7 games, winning 3 games in Anaheim, going to the 2nd round, Colin Wilson dominating, Fisher's and RV's OT game winners, taking the Sharks to 7 games.

I would rather have these memories than another disappointing handshake line with Chicago.

So you list two memories from a series we lost but don't remember 2015 Josi's goal in game 2 blowout win, or Forsberg's hat trick in game 5?

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
So you list two memories from a series we lost but don't remember 2015 Josi's goal in game 2 blowout win, or Forsberg's hat trick in game 5?

Losing a first round series in 6 is very different than the 14 game postseason last year. In the same way that postseason overtime goals are much more memorable than a random D-man goal in a blowout win. There aren't going to be very many memories worth keeping when the team is packing their bags in 6. Although the postseason hat trick is something worth mentioning.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I could care less who we play. I want Chicago. I think if you want to climb that hill you go for the toughest fight or what you think is the toughest one. I think we need that monkey off our back to be honest. Knock them out and the West is ours. I think we're a better team than they are. I really do. No one in the West scares me. While we haven't been consistent all year, we've never really had a massive winning or losing streak. I think that bodes well for the playoffs. It means we never get too high or low.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I think you're off on the Preds having a better team than the Hawks. I think it's close, but they have three different Conn Smythe winners over there and plenty of other guys with very good postseason histories. Even on a down year, Toews>Johansen, Kane>>Forsberg, etc. etc...

Not to mention Crawford has as many wins in the postseason as Rinne has games played. Also, even though Crawford hasn't exactly been stellar in the playoffs, he is rocking a career .920 SV% to Rinne's .912. Hawks in 6 again, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Losing a first round series in 6 is very different than the 14 game postseason last year. In the same way that postseason overtime goals are much more memorable than a random D-man goal in a blowout win. There aren't going to be very many memories worth keeping when the team is packing their bags in 6. Although the postseason hat trick is something worth mentioning.

If I'm remembering correctly we were without Weber and lost Fisher for part of that series too and still gave them fits.

At some point you are going to need to beat Chicago anyways.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
If I'm remembering correctly we were without Weber and lost Fisher for part of that series too and still gave them fits.

At some point you are going to need to beat Chicago anyways.

Well, I'm glad you're all optimistic, and I'll be rooting for the Preds as hard as anyone. However, If the Preds do match up with the Hawks, I'll be putting a good bit on the Hawks as long as the line isn't ridiculous. Taking my Fandom out of it, I feel pretty confident the Hawks would take it. Here's hoping I lose some money.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Let me hop in the time machine and let you guys know how this would work.

We play Chicago. If we lose, we all throw tantrums about another one and done playoff appearance. Even those who wanted to play them will complain about reasons A, B or C why we just couldn't beat them.

We play Anaheim or anyone else. If we win, absolutely zero people will care that we didn't beat the Hawks.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I could care less who we play. I want Chicago. I think if you want to climb that hill you go for the toughest fight or what you think is the toughest one. I think we need that monkey off our back to be honest. Knock them out and the West is ours. I think we're a better team than they are. I really do. No one in the West scares me. While we haven't been consistent all year, we've never really had a massive winning or losing streak. I think that bodes well for the playoffs. It means we never get too high or low.

IMO this is what will doom us this post season no matter who the opponent is. In a 7 game series, you do not have time for inconsistencies. All it takes is a one or two game lapse in play and you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad