Who do you think will be the Flames 2017/18 starter?

Otzelor

Nov 29, 2015
Voted Fleury but hoping for Rantaa (if aquired for next to nothing - <4th rounder) or Grubauer, if AAV/term is right.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I get that, but 4 years isn't really a stopgap. Giving up a second for 1 year of Elliott or a first for 2 years of fluery is a stop gap. As much as I'd like to believe one of our goalie prospects can be a quality NHL starter odds are we're looking at continuing the goalie carousel if we only get a goalie for 2 years.

To play Devil's advocate. Let's say they bring Flower in for two seasons and he helps us win a lot and is absolutely elite for Calgary. Don't you think there'd be some mutual interest in extending him for another 2-3 years afterwards?

It's kind of why I see Fleury as one of the top three options for Calgary; if he's solid, then it's two years and you can bring him back if you want. If he's dominant you can resign him, if he's bad, you only have two years of that contract and you're not handcuffed at all. You really spin the wheel going with the unproven starter (Grubauer, Raanta, etc) because if they can't cut it as a starter, you're really hooped. But if they catch fire you look like a genius.

That all being said, I think the 'unproven' guys all look like they could be NHL starters.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I voted other. Buffalos defense is borderline tire fire and lehner put up great numbers and 50+ starts with them. Give them out first and sign him to 4x4 giving our g prospects time to get ready. I think he asks for a trade out of buffalo or has ridiculous demands to stay there ala Hamilton and Boston. Failing that Grubauer is probably our best option because I don't see any reason Arizona would trade Smith

Buffalo's defense allows a lot of shots and occasionally gives up the WTF type of shots, but Lehner's save percentage is inflated by the fact that Buffalo plays a system that makes them trapped in their zone, but they actually do very well at limiting high danger chances.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
To play Devil's advocate. Let's say they bring Flower in for two seasons and he helps us win a lot and is absolutely elite for Calgary. Don't you think there'd be some mutual interest in extending him for another 2-3 years afterwards?

It's kind of why I see Fleury as one of the top three options for Calgary; if he's solid, then it's two years and you can bring him back if you want. If he's dominant you can resign him, if he's bad, you only have two years of that contract and you're not handcuffed at all. You really spin the wheel going with the unproven starter (Grubauer, Raanta, etc) because if they can't cut it as a starter, you're really hooped. But if they catch fire you look like a genius.

That all being said, I think the 'unproven' guys all look like they could be NHL starters.

I don't mind Raanta, but I see him as being more of a Chad Johnson than a Martin Jones, the guy is 28 and hasn't ever grabbed a starting role. Grubauer is more interesting to me. And I get your point about Fluery, but if he plays 2 elite seasons he probably asks for a raise and some term at which point he's already 34 years old, and this year aside he pulls a disappearing act in the playoffs almost every year. If the cost of fluery was low, I'd agree he's the guy to bring in but there's no way that the penguins take less than the value of Maata for him, because that's who they're gonna lose to expansion if he's gone, so it'll be a first at least

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Buffalo's defense allows a lot of shots and occasionally gives up the WTF type of shots, but Lehner's save percentage is inflated by the fact that Buffalo plays a system that makes them trapped in their zone, but they actually do very well at limiting high danger chances.

I don't watch them all that much, but they don't seem to play the trap nearly as bad with Bylsma as they did with Nolan. But that could just be me, like I said I don't watch them a ton

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I don't watch them all that much, but they don't seem to play the trap nearly as bad with Bylsma as they did with Nolan. But that could just be me, like I said I don't watch them a ton

Trap is different than being stuck in their own zone. Sens play trap, Nashville plays trap defensively, and high octane rush offensively, and they mostly limit zone entries. Buffalo is hammered in their own zone and allows mostly perimeter shots.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I don't mind Raanta, but I see him as being more of a Chad Johnson than a Martin Jones, the guy is 28 and hasn't ever grabbed a starting role. Grubauer is more interesting to me. And I get your point about Fluery, but if he plays 2 elite seasons he probably asks for a raise and some term at which point he's already 34 years old, and this year aside he pulls a disappearing act in the playoffs almost every year. If the cost of fluery was low, I'd agree he's the guy to bring in but there's no way that the penguins take less than the value of Maata for him, because that's who they're gonna lose to expansion if he's gone, so it'll be a first at least

Besides Fleury had a dreadful regular season.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

And if he's still there they lose Murray. The only way they can get out of losing Maata or Murray is for Fleury to waive his NMC for the expansion draft, which I think is unrealistic. I think he'll waive, but I don't think he'd do it for Vegas. If/when Fleury is traded it will be for much less than he's actually worth.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
And if he's still there they lose Murray. The only way they can get out of losing Maata or Murray is for Fleury to waive his NMC for the expansion draft, which I think is unrealistic. I think he'll waive, but I don't think he'd do it for Vegas. If/when Fleury is traded it will be for much less than he's actually worth.
Even if Fleury waives for Vegas, they'd be stupid not to draft Maatta IMO. I think it would be hilarious if the Pens lose Maatta and are stuck with Fleury and $9.5 million in goaltending next year, Which would leave things tight as they try to replace Maatta, sign RFAs Schultz, Dumoulin and Sheary and then they still have 6-8 UFAs to sign on top of that. Frankly they need to find a way to dump Fleury even if it means losing Maatta, they are over a barrell one way or the other.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I have this weird feeling it's going to be some goaltender we all go, "Huh? Why/how was he the guy selected?" But the decision will be supported by some objective data we all weren't paying attention to.

A similar feeling was felt by me when we acquired Elliott.

EDIT: Johnson too.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Elliott is a better goaltender than Raanta/Grubauer/Fleury/Korpisalo/Pickard

He's my pick

The question with Elliott is who do you want backing him up though. Johnson is good but there's no upside. Maybe do like 15 games of Rittich, 15 games of Gillies. If they don't work, I'm sure there will be someone available in November.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Until game 4 I was in favour of bringing Elliott back. He'd be under an intense microscope and I feel like it would be beneficial for both parties to move on. He should be Plan Z if we can't find anyone else at a reasonable price

Johnson's a capable backup. In the unlikely event we acquire two goalies, he'll be back imo. Gillies is nowhere near ready

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Elliott is a better goaltender than Raanta/Grubauer/Fleury/Korpisalo/Pickard

He's my pick

The question with Elliott is who do you want backing him up though. Johnson is good but there's no upside. Maybe do like 15 games of Rittich, 15 games of Gillies. If they don't work, I'm sure there will be someone available in November.

I don't know if that's true. I'll give you that he's a more known commodity, therefore safer. I don't think it's possible to say if any of those guys - aside from Fleury - are better or not until a team takes the risk and hands them the reins.

I think Elliott is probably better than Korpisalo and Pickard, though Grubauer, and Raanta are both very good in their own right.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
What about his playoff choke?

If Elliott comes back, it's because he is a cheap option

Oh he was horrawful in the playoffs. He let in more bad goals in 4 games than Gibson, Rinne, Anderson, and Fleury have let in over their ~40 games.

However, 4 games does not make a goalie (or any player for that matter).

Elliott provided average level goaltending for an average price for an average number of games. He is perfectly adequate and gives the skaters a familiar option behind them. He also has a history of elite puck stopping and showed flashes of it while he was here. The goalies I listed are all nothing special and don't bring an upgrade worthy of spending assets on. Treliving will have to hope a long term option shakes loose during the upcoming season or next summer because there are 0 good ones available right now. Either that, or one develops internally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad