Who do you think will be the Flames 2017/18 starter?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I am not asking who you want us to get. I am asking who you think we will get.

The options are:
Jonathan Bernier (UFA)
Mike Smith (ARZ)
Brian Elliott (UFA)
Eddie Lack (CAR)
Cam Ward (CAR)
Calvin Pickard (COL)
Joonas Korpisalo (CBJ)
Kari Lehtonen (DAL)
Antti Niemi (DAL)
Jimmy Howard (DET)
Darcy Kuemper (UFA)
Jaroslav Halak (NYI)
Antti Raanta (NYR)
Steve Mason (UFA)
Marc-Andre Fleury (PGH)
Ryan Miller (UFA)
Phillipp Grubauer (WSH/RFA)

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Hoping Halak, edit: actually nvm. Elliott is the best option aside from Murray or Mrazek if they are somewhere acquired so I want him. All the available starters have huge question marks and none of the young guys are future Talbots

I'm expecting that Treliving will land Murray somehow (though I doubt I will like the price), especially if the real MAF can somehow remain hidden through these playoffs

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Voted Fleury, but I want Grubauer. If we end up with Jimmy Howard though...

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think Mike Smith will be picked up. History with Treliving, signed short term, puts up okay numbers on an awful team, plus Arizona will be able to take a bigger contract back and/or eat some salary.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Voted Raanta but want Grubauer.
I hope we get 1 of those 2 and have them split duties with a veteran (Elliott, Johnson, Mason, Halak, etc.) and hope that they can steal the starting role.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As much as I want Grubauer, I don't see Vegas trading him should they draft him. I think Washington will want our 1st round pick since Grubauer is protecting Orlov and I just don't see Treliving willing to give up our 1st when we don't have a 2nd or 3rd.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I think it will either be Smith or Elliott.

I picked Smith because he has the term I think management likes right now, where as Elliott will probably 3+ years and despite his horrid start and playoff meltdown he will probably get that on the market from someone.

Smith is also a big puck handling goalie, basically a poor mans Ben Bishop, who clearly was Treliving's target for quite some time now. Also as Method Man mentioned, he has history with BT and probably a cheap acquisition cost that will see a contract or two like Stajan/Bouma go the other way.

Then they will roll with a young back up with starter potential, such as Pickard, Korpisalo, Forsberg, Rittich if they are high enough on him or some other guy a lot of us know little about, but they see the potential in.

Hope I'm wrong though, and Treliving pulls off some magic to get a legit NHL starter that we didn't even know would be on the market.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think it will either be Smith or Elliott.

I picked Smith because he has the term I think management likes right now, where as Elliott will probably 3+ years and despite his horrid start and playoff meltdown he will probably get that on the market from someone.

Smith is also a big puck handling goalie, basically a poor mans Ben Bishop, who clearly was Treliving's target for quite some time now. Also as Method Man mentioned, he has history with BT and probably a cheap acquisition cost that will see a contract or two like Stajan/Bouma go the other way.

Then they will roll with a young back up with starter potential, such as Pickard, Korpisalo, Forsberg, Rittich if they are high enough on him or some other guy a lot of us know little about, but they see the potential in.

Hope I'm wrong though, and Treliving pulls off some magic to get a legit NHL starter that we didn't even know would be on the market.
I saw someone say on CP that Smith actually has something like a .925 sv% at ES, with a better PK in front of him and a PP that doesn't give up a ton of SHG, I think it would drastically improve his overall numbers. Plus a goalie good at handling the puck might just be a good fit with our D. He's definitely not my top choice, but I am not as down on the idea as I was a few days ago.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Surprised Fleury still has 40% so far with the reports that a deal might be in place to send him to Vegas

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I say there is a great then 50% chance it's MAF.

After that I'd rank them

1. Smith
2. Grubauer
3. Mason
4. Miller
4. Murray
5. Mrazek

:dunno:

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I saw someone say on CP that Smith actually has something like a .925 sv% at ES, with a better PK in front of him and a PP that doesn't give up a ton of SHG, I think it would drastically improve his overall numbers. Plus a goalie good at handling the puck might just be a good fit with our D. He's definitely not my top choice, but I am not as down on the idea as I was a few days ago.

Yeah, I've actually warmed up to the idea a little. 0.925% at ES for his 6 years in Arizona is not bad at all considering the team he's had in front of him most of the time.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Feeling optimistic so went with Raanta.

After Fleury, who hopefully goes to the Vegas Cash Money Bling Blings, none of the older veteran tenders out there are easy sells. They're all on the wrong side of 30, inconsistent with large cap hits. So maybe the Flames won't look to beat a dead horse and instead go after a backup who just needs the opportunity to became a starter.

Ideally they snag Murray, Mrazek or Saros but I imagine the cost will be prohibitive.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Smith would make Elliott looked consistent. Forget about him....Horrible goalie with flashes of brilliant.

There is really not a good option ...roll the dice and pray....that's what happen when you cant draft and develop your own

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Could we offersheet Grubauer?

Not until after the entry draft, which is after the expansion draft so he may be taken by Vegas already.

If he is taken by Vegas, they probably match any offer sheet.
If he isn't, I don't see why Washington wouldn't be willing to just trade him to us.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
IF we end up with Fleury, Grubauer or Raanta; I'd be really happy.
All guys I think could be potential game breakers for Calgary.

I think Dell could be an under the radar pickup if we go with Fleury. Certainly wouldn't be as expensive asset wise as Grubauer or Raanta, yet put up better numbers in mainly every category than both. Albeit over just 20 career games, which makes him a slightly longer shot than the others as well imo.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
What motivation does San Jose have though to trade us their back up so he can be our back up?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Surprised that more people haven't voted for Elliott. I don't think he's done here.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I voted other. Buffalos defense is borderline tire fire and lehner put up great numbers and 50+ starts with them. Give them out first and sign him to 4x4 giving our g prospects time to get ready. I think he asks for a trade out of buffalo or has ridiculous demands to stay there ala Hamilton and Boston. Failing that Grubauer is probably our best option because I don't see any reason Arizona would trade Smith

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
What motivation does San Jose have though to trade us their back up so he can be our back up?

They've got another guy in the AHL who was lights out last year who could take that backup role should Dell be moved. Other than that I'm not sure a team needs much motivation to move a backup goalie than a fair offer, and potential successor.

I voted other. Buffalos defense is borderline tire fire and lehner put up great numbers and 50+ starts with them. Give them out first and sign him to 4x4 giving our g prospects time to get ready. I think he asks for a trade out of buffalo or has ridiculous demands to stay there ala Hamilton and Boston. Failing that Grubauer is probably our best option because I don't see any reason Arizona would trade Smith

Giving up our first for what you plan to be a stop gap until one of our homegrown guys is ready seems like a bad idea, no offence.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
They've got another guy in the AHL who was lights out last year who could take that backup role should Dell be moved. Other than that I'm not sure a team needs much motivation to move a backup goalie than a fair offer, and potential successor.

Giving up our first for what you plan to be a stop gap until one of our homegrown guys is ready seems like a bad idea, no offence.

I get that, but 4 years isn't really a stopgap. Giving up a second for 1 year of Elliott or a first for 2 years of fluery is a stop gap. As much as I'd like to believe one of our goalie prospects can be a quality NHL starter odds are we're looking at continuing the goalie carousel if we only get a goalie for 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00