Who do you take at 9th Overall

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
so unless one of the top guys slips, I think we would do best to take one of the real good d-men with our 1st pick, and the other 2 1st rounders draft some high skill guys who are rated later.

Reactions: bl02

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I would be livid if we took Tkachuk at 3 over Zadina.

Tkachuk at 8, on the other hand, would be a steal.

I get what you are saying. Kreider put it pretty well himself a few weeks ago. Paraphrasing here:

"It's so rare in this league to score goals 20 feet out plinking them in off the bottom of the crossbar."

This is true especially come playoff time.

You need skill guys like Zadina but you also need guys that can play the scrappy game too.

Gonna be really interesting to see where some of these guys are picked.

Folks are gonna be pissed no matter what.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
What if the Top 4 or 5 go something like

1. Dahlin
2. Svech
3. Boqvist/Tkachuck/Bouchard
4. Boqvist/Tkachuck/Bouchard
5. Boqvist/Tkachuck/Bouchard

Would our 8th overall + Tampa pick 28-31 overall be good enough to move up to 5 or 6 to take Zadina? Then use the Boston pick on Kaut

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Also, I don't think it counts for much, but Tkachuk is Hayes' cousin.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Unless we move into the top 3 (I really think we do by the way the league “owes” us big time) give me Farabee at 8. Really good at all levels and an UNBELIEVABLY high compete motor. A slightly bigger version of Zack Parise

Reactions: Lays

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Unless we move into the top 3 (I really think we do by the way the league “owes” us big time) give me Farabee at 8. Really good at all levels and an UNBELIEVABLY high compete motor. A slightly bigger version of Zack Parise

he's one of my top guys for sure. not much not to like there. more than anything, he's a fierce competitor and super smart with and without the puck. the skating and shot are a given.

take the best hockey player available at 8. if he's got talent, skating and smarts, well find a spot for him because hell earn one. dman or forward. doesnt matter. take the BPA.

after that pick, you then to move up and grab that player that drops bc of the way teams have their boards filled out. someones gonna drop bc someones gonna reach. if he's there, and you like him, you move up and get him.

thats why i keep saying somehow get both bouchard and farabee. that would be a coup.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I am still on Dobson. Then see if you can engineer a trade to move up for Farabee. But Dobson smacks on the type of cornerstone defenseman they need. Providing that he pans out.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I was a Bouchard over Dobson guy to start, due to what I perceived to be the former's puck and skating skills vs. what I perceived to be the latter's size and big shot.

But there is something to be said for the fact that Bouchard looks like a guy who is simply more physically developed at a younger age than his peers (seriously, if he was a baseball prospect from Cuba, you'd think he'd doctored his birth certificate). And there is definitely something to be said for the fact that Dobson is as good as he is while still having tons of room to grow/improve. If it comes down to a choice between the two, I think I now take the latter (though, honestly, I'd be thrilled to have either).

Then again, if they stay at 8 and Wahlstrom or Tkachuk is still on the board when they pick, I take either over the defenseman.

Man, this is such a good draft to have this many picks. June can't get here soon enough.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
:cheers:
I was a Bouchard over Dobson guy to start, due to what I perceived to be the former's puck and skating skills vs. what I perceived to be the latter's size and big shot.

But there is something to be said for the fact that Bouchard looks like a guy who is simply more physically developed at a younger age than his peers (seriously, if he was a baseball prospect from Cuba, you'd think he'd doctored his birth certificate). And there is definitely something to be said for the fact that Dobson is as good as he is while still having tons of room to grow/improve. If it comes down to a choice between the two, I think I now take the latter (though, honestly, I'd be thrilled to have either).

Then again, if they stay at 8 and Wahlstrom or Tkachuk is still on the board when they pick, I take either over the defenseman.

Man, this is such a good draft to have this many picks. June can't get here soon enough.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Personally, I would trade both our other 1st round picks and additional piece or two to move into the Top 12.

Give me one of: Boqvist/Dobson/Bouchard
And one of: Wahlstrom/Farabee/Tkachuk

Or, in an ideal world, we win the Lotto and draft Dahlin and then trade up and get one of the aforementioned forwards.

Or, we get the 2nd pick for Svech or 3rd pick for Zadina and trade up to get one of the aforementioned Defensemen.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Personally, I would trade both our other 1st round picks and additional piece or two to move into the Top 12.

Give me one of: Boqvist/Dobson/Bouchard
And one of: Wahlstrom/Farabee/Tkachuk

Or, in an ideal world, we win the Lotto and draft Dahlin and then trade up and get one of the aforementioned forwards.

Or, we get the 2nd pick for Svech or 3rd pick for Zadina and trade up to get one of the aforementioned Defensemen.
I hear what you’re saying, but in a draft this deep, I’d prefer to keep most of our picks in the top 100. Maybe combine Zucc with one of the picks to bump it up ~15 spots?

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
What if the Top 4 or 5 go something like

1. Dahlin
2. Svech
3. Boqvist/Tkachuck/Bouchard
4. Boqvist/Tkachuck/Bouchard
5. Boqvist/Tkachuck/Bouchard

Would our 8th overall + Tampa pick 28-31 overall be good enough to move up to 5 or 6 to take Zadina? Then use the Boston pick on Kaut

Well, no, because the teams picking at that spot would want Zadina.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Well, no, because the teams picking at that spot would want Zadina.
Going off that logic a team would never trade a pick away when a player fell a few spots

Maybe someone like Arizona doesn't want another scoring winger and would rather move back a couple spots to get another 1st; or maybe a team like Montreal would rather have multiple 1sts to restock their cupboard.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I am still on Dobson. Then see if you can engineer a trade to move up for Farabee. But Dobson smacks on the type of cornerstone defenseman they need. Providing that he pans out.
This.
I’ve had discussions with the Oilers fans on the trade boards and they’re are somewhat interested in something like
Zucc+Vladdy+latest 1st for their 9th overall. I consider this an overpayment and if they don’t even want that, I’d add in something else as well. Most like a deal around this though
So at 8th, Dobson
At 9th, Farabee
With Boston’s pick (mid 20s) i’d look to move up again and steal Martin Kaut
Would be insane if we can come out of the past two drafts with
Andersson, Chytil, Dobson, Farabee, Kaut
We then also have our 2nds
Pretty much you get a high end 2C (Andersson) a 1C (Chytil) a top pairing D (Dobson, who I believe will end up a 1D) a 65 point 2 way/leader (Farabee) and a 60-65 point two way RW RHS (Kaut) I truly believe all of these guys will hit their potential or come close to it.
If we draft Tkachuk in the top 10 I will be pissed, for a “goal scorer” he only had like 8 goals. For a “gritty warrior” he’s really not that, his gritty game gets overrated because of his brother, he’s more of a complimentary skilled guy. He’s also one of the oldest guys in the draft

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Going off that logic a team would never trade a pick away when a player fell a few spots

Maybe someone like Arizona doesn't want another scoring winger and would rather move back a couple spots to get another 1st; or maybe a team like Montreal would rather have multiple 1sts to restock their cupboard.

My point was before, as it is now - this almost never happens because the player one team wants is BPA, and that's how teams should draft.

Teams don't usually draft for volume, or position as they shouldn't. They draft for BPA, therefore trading down doesn't happen often.

As was originally said to the original suggestion "why don't we just trade down" .... because it's not common, or easy.

Alluckks

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
My point was before, as it is now - this almost never happens because the player one team wants is BPA, and that's how teams should draft.

Teams don't usually draft for volume, or position as they shouldn't. They draft for BPA, therefore trading down doesn't happen often.

As was originally said to the original suggestion "why don't we just trade down" .... because it's not common, or easy.
But it does happen. I'm not debating the odds here.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Are you at least ok w/ Hughes at 8?

I really don't want hughes at all. he's the one guy that is in the mix that we're all talking about that I really really don't want. I am a huge BPA guy but I don't see the need for a tiny offensive lefty d. I just don't. I'd be very disappointed in this pick. he's not going to play on a top nhl pairing in my opinion.

if Dobson is still sitting there at 8. lets say everyone goes that should go (which almost never happens)

1dahlin
2svechnikov
3zadina
4tkachuk
5boqvist
6bouchard
7wahlstrom

at 8 we should be able to choose from Dobson/Hughes those are the two best players avail. for me its clear you take Dobson. Big strong great skating righty dman? they don't grow on trees. tiny skilled lefty dmen? can find those a lot easier.

I know some really love farabee and I don't blame them I like him a lot too, but he's a guy that should not be going in the top 8 of this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad