Who do you Take #5 Overall?

Who do you Take #5 Overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
The top 10 TOI/GP leaders among D are all 6’1” or bigger except Karlsson and Letang who are 6’00”. So it’s possible but I feel like it’s still difficult for a ~6’00” D-man to be a legit all-situations #1D and with Boqvist/Hughes you’re looking at 5’10”-5’11”..
I think Boqvist at least has the skill to mitigate that. Some say he hasn't produced in the SHL, but he's only 17 and a half, those extra few months are huge at that age. Also, Karlsson had 37 points in 38 games during his draft year in the SuperElit, Boqvist has 24 in 25.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I really have a good feeling about Ty Smith and wish we could land him this draft, but I can't see passing up on one of those great D who will be available to us. I went with Boqvist, if we somehow slide down 3 positions I wouldn't be against the idea of taking Smith.

Reactions: mjtm777

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I voted for Dobson. Seems to be well-rounded and I prefer defenseman that have a bit more steadiness and poise to them. Sounds like he can grow into something excellent on the backend.

By no means I’m not discounting what Boqvist can do.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I think it's pretty cool that 50% of the board would take Boqvist. There's a touch of riskiness there but man his speed and puck control are elite. It would be tough to watch him slip by. Overall I agree with the consensus- #5 pick has to be a defenseman.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think it's pretty cool that 50% of the board would take Boqvist. There's a touch of riskiness there but man his speed and puck control are elite. It would be tough to watch him slip by. Overall I agree with the consensus- #5 pick has to be a defenseman.

I know not everyone here watches other sports but Boqvist reminds me a lot of Ziggy Ansah in his draft year. Not enough high end competition and some serious question marks but insane athletic ability. Definitely has the chance to be a very good pick at 5, it just kinda depends on how you weigh that upside vs Dobson/Bouchard etc. and how likely they all are to reach it. I think there are other D good enough to not make the risk worth it but I dont blame people for thinking the opposite

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
For whatever reason I feel like it's highly unlikely that the Wings would pick Boqvist over one of the bigger and safer D's like Dobson or Bouchard. Just feels off based on many of the players they've drafted under Wright.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
For whatever reason I feel like it's highly unlikely that the Wings would pick Boqvist over one of the bigger and safer D's like Dobson or Bouchard. Just feels off based on many of the players they've drafted under Wright.

I also am feeling like Dobson // Bouchard will be better picks in the end.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

True. But personally, I'd like to see him do something we WOULDN'T expect him to do this year. He did say they are going for skilled guys.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I'm at the point I would trade a top 3 pick to grab one of these D plus an asset. If the opportunity presents itself that is.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
It's really a shame boqvist got injured in the pre-season, a lot question marks could've been answered otherwise. I'm still not convinced on him but man his upside is so high, atleast that much is certain.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
True. But personally, I'd like to see him do something we WOULDN'T expect him to do this year. He did say they are going for skilled guys.
They did sound high on him. (In that one article that mentioned Svechnikov, Deridder, etc)

I flip flop daily on Boqvist/Dobson/Bouchard... Tough choice because the future is unwritten.

Reactions: jkutswings

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Most men stop growing between 19-21 years of age. Its not unheard of to continue to grow until 25 (my case).

So its very likely he could add some height within a year or two from the draft. Then again he could be around his max height now, a lot plays on genetics. Wonder if we can find a photo of him next to his father.

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
As much as I love Bovqist's skill set, I don't see him as a #1D man. Other than Karlsson, I don't know of any other NHL defenders with that frame and style that are legit #1 guys.

I've watched all the video there is on Dobson and can see him as a bonafide #1 defenseman. He is reminiscent of Seth Jones, Pietrangelo, Ekblad.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
As much as I love Bovqist's skill set, I don't see him as a #1D man. Other than Karlsson, I don't know of any other NHL defenders with that frame and style that are legit #1 guys.

I've watched all the video there is on Dobson and can see him as a bonafide #1 defenseman. He is reminiscent of Seth Jones, Pietrangelo, Ekblad.
As a side note, I think this draft - barring a top 3 pick - will unveil what skill set this organization values most in a defenseman. Each of the blue liners after Dahlin have their niche and their warts, so it should be interesting to see what assets this staff thinks are most important.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad