Who do you Take #5 Overall?

Who do you Take #5 Overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Any of the D. Really not fussed which one, as long as they don't go way off the board.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I want a potential #1 legit two-way D. While that could be Boqvist or Hughes their size scare me a little and I wouldn’t be surprised if Bouchard or Dobson end up the better overall players.

I'm with you on this.

Great offensive d-man but not so great defensively, doesn’t PK and is ~60th in icetime. Would no doubt be an awesome player to have but I’d prefer a Provorov to build around if I have the choice.

I will point out that Ghost has gotten a ton better this year as an all-around player. So that makes me feel a little better on the idea of taking Hughes.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Voted Tkachuk (I agree he seems a perfect Tyler Wright draft pick) & wouldn't be unhappy with with any of the defensemen but prefer Bouchard or Dobson. Whoever the wings have on their board as the BPA is OK with me.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
It's kind of f***ed.
I went with Boquist, but I'm not sold on him yet.
I can't justify fifth overall on Hughes based on what I've seen. But truth is, if I'd seen Boquist, I might feel the same way about him.
Anyone know if the U18s are going to be televised,

Honestly, at 5, with Huges, Boqvist, Dobson, Bouchard and Smith still there, I see what I can get to trade down to to 8 or 9.

Reactions: Winger98

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
yeah its a real crap shoot.

I like hughes' skillset the most but his size is a big concern. Best skater here. Very high potential if he can figure out how to play with his size.

I like Boqvist and his awesome shot. Size concerns too but not to the extent of hughes. Also hes a lot younger than the rest. Great skater as well.

i like Bouchard with his size and offensive ability. Skating leaves something to be desired, as does work ethic. Defense isnt any worse than Boqvist or hughes. I think hes got a higher chance at reaching his potential than Boqvist/Hughes, but his absolute potential is worse due to being less dynamic of a skater.

Dobson is definitely the best defensive guy here, and he's pretty good on offense too. Good size, great skater. Not as good offensively as Bouchard, but plays a good d game. The question is how much offense do you think he can provide? Will he be DeKeyser or will he Suter?

I go with Boqvist because i think he'll have a better shot at reaching his potential than Hughes, and in this era of hockey i'd much prefer to have his skating ability than to have Bouchard. I cant really comment too much on Dobson havent watched him a ton.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Unless its an elite top three draftee, a winger dosent make sense for us

I agree we need everything but you have to start with a plan.

Build from the backend out and down the middle

Everything else comes last

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Second part of comment is ridiculous! Name even one time in Holland's run as GM where he traded a top 5, heck even a top 15 for a bunch of lower picks. You probably can't even find a 2nd traded for that, so it just comes across as running Holland down for no real reason. I hoped for a new voice in the GM spot too, but in the past two deadlines he has actually done a pretty good job at getting us good draft picks. Who thought we would get a 2nd and a 3rd for Brendan Smith, or 1,2,3 for Tatar, no one is the answer!

It was absurd because absurdity makes it a joke and not a real possibility.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
From what I've heard, seen and read my defenseman ranking would go something like this:

Dobson - because I find well-rounded skill sets more appealing and we really need someone who's good at both defending and puck moving to anchor our future defensive corps. He sounds like the direct downgrade from Dahlin.
Boqvist - of the three more offensive choices he is my first due to age. Can still grow into a bigger than his current frame.
Bouchard/Hughes - better skating vs more size. If this draft is used for the purpose of rebuilding our defense from the ground up, I'm a little scared of picking a 5'10 guy. Bouchard screams safer choice. I think it might come down to personality for our scouting staff.

My forward ranking is Svetch, Zadina, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom. Of those only Wahlstrom is likely to be available when we pick and I'd rather take any of the defensemen instead.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
It's down to Hughes or Boqvist either one I'm fine with. Nither will be on the team anytime soon so it really does not matter for the tank keep getting high picks.

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
So I still need to really deep dive into the prospects (might wait until after the lottery order is picked, but based on what I've seen so far this year, I'm thinking boqvist. Really young. If he was a few months younger he might have been a clear favorite for next year with another year of development. Plus who knows he could still grow a few more inches. Anyone know how big his family is?

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
I went with Boqvist, but I'd be ok with Hughes, Dobson, or Bouchard as well. None are perfect; it just depends on when skill set of potential you hope to have a guy hit.

I'd be surprised to see Montreal go with Wahlstrom, though. Good player, and I think they'd be smart to take him over Tkachuk, who is my "steer clear" guy in the top 10. But I don't know if I'd take him as early as 4, instead of sliding 1-2 picks and still getting him. Who knows; I'm sure things will change a few times over between now and the draft.
Wahlstrom could be the biggest boom or bust guy in the draft. He has the ability to be a great sniper. There are times he will dominant and there are times that he looks like a lost puppy. He has a mountain of talent though.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm extremely cool with just about whoever we take with a pick in the 4-9 range. If we take Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Bouchard, I won't be disappointed with any of those picks. The only way I'd be mad is if we had the first overall and took anyone that wasn't Dahlin, or have picks 2 or 3 and not take Svechnikov or Zadina, or have one of the 4-9 picks and go way off the board. Or, frankly, if we traded down I'd be disappointed.

So it seems like it should be a slam dunk either way, but this is Ken Holland's Red Wings, where disappointment is very possible.

Reactions: jkutswings

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
So I still need to really deep dive into the prospects (might wait until after the lottery order is picked, but based on what I've seen so far this year, I'm thinking boqvist. Really young. If he was a few months younger he might have been a clear favorite for next year with another year of development. Plus who knows he could still grow a few more inches. Anyone know how big his family is?
His brother Jesper is 6 foot and he is 19. Boqvist is 5'11" and probably has an inch or two to grow still. Adam already has 5 pounds on Jesper, I don't think his size will be an issue. In the NHL today if you can skate and make plays defensively with your stick you can be really good without being physical

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad