Who do you blame? JR or Muller?

bluedevil58*

JR

Has brought a cup to NC. But has put together several lack luster playoff seasons. These past 2 years he has legitimately brought in more talent in hopes of making the post season but it has resulted in a bust. For some reason the guy can never put together a consistent playoff contending team. Let's not even get started on our development of players. How many 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round busts have we seen over the years?

Muller:

He was given a full season with his system and it has resulted in a bust. He has a top 6 forward corps that should allow the team to be in the top 10 for GF. But for whatever reason the team cannot score. He continually puts together failed lines in hopes that they will magically come together and they never do. Has he lost this team?

Who do you blame?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Everyone is to blame. It's not one person's fault. I mean it falls on JR because he's the guy at the top but nobody is blameless here. Even Khudobin (because he missed 2 months after going for a joy ride to play the puck and blowing out his ankle like a doofus) :sarcasm:

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
The coach, body language speaks for itself always touching his nose, very insecure. This team has got tons of talent.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Wait...you're blaming Muller because he touches his nose? You do realize that the average human will touch their face 2000-4000 times a day, often times without even realizing it, right? There are plenty of things that fall on Muller without reading way too much into his body language.

As for the topic at hand, JR is the obvious choice. He's avoided the axe WAY too long by putting the blame on the coaches. The same cannot be allowed to happen again this time, not for the good of the franchise.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Let's do math here.

There are 86400 seconds in a day. But, minus 8 hours of sleep, there are 57600. Divided that by 3,000 and you get touching your face once every 20 seconds while you're awake. That seems way too high. But now I'm going to be thinking about this all day.

Muller isn't a perfect coach, but changing only him won't make a difference. JR has brought in some good pieces, sometimes, but he needs to go. His time is done.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I'd blame the constants that have been here over the last 5-6 years. Clearly, Pete Friesen has to go.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'd blame the constants that have been here over the last 5-6 years. Clearly, Pete Friesen has to go.

So that's pretty much Ward, E. Staal, JR, Karmanos, Friesen, Francis, Brind'Amour and Wesley.

Most everything else has changed.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Daniels has been around a while too, hasn't he?

Yeah, but he isn't with the Canes NHL squad and while we can "maybe" attribute lack of development to him, he isn't involved in the on ice product of the NHL team, which the rest of those guys are.

I'm not sure what to think of Daniels honestly as I don't know enough about him. The Canes have rarely ever had guys that develop in the minors and become top 4 D, Top 6 O, so hard to pin all of that on Daniels. Add to the fact that with their high picks, the Canes try to draft "NHL" ready guys that don't spend much time in the AHL.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
christ, with all those guys behind the bench, you'd think they could figure something out. something, anything but the 'same old' every night. what do Brind'Amour and Wesley even do?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I really don't understand how the blame tree could go JR then the players. JR is the one who put the players together, so if he did such a ****** job of that why would you blame them? For being not as good as JR thought they were?

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
thing is, it doesn't look like Rutherford is under the gun. I think he's actually quite proud of himself, his dumpster diving last summer with the low cap and the team he put together this year. no significant injuries. I doubt he's going anywhere. I can't see him being fired. he might fire Muller and move out a couple of players as scapegoats. I don't see any big uproar yet really, but I think most people will blame the players. fans are preoccupied with Ward and the crappy PP right now.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Outside of still carrying a couple of bad contracts, like all teams have, can anyone really argue that JR put a ****** team together this season? He addressed our biggest concern (D) and got some great value out of the FAs he signed. Not to excuse the previous years of failure, but on paper, he did nearly all he could this year. I think the knock on Muller isn't necessarily poor coaching, but not getting the best out of his players. This season alone the onus is on Muller and the players, and I'd place more of that on the latter.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
It's both. I wrote a long post here not that long ago on JR's lack of accountability trickling down. The country club atmosphere is very real, and I think he's the most lax boss ever. That doesn't work in sports.

Very true. It's gone on for so long that it isn't even singularly Rutherford anymore. Mediocrity from the management has lead to mediocre coaching, mediocre player performances, mediocre development, mediocre scouting, etc...

This entire organization could use a swift kick in the ass and/or some cleaning house from top to bottom.

bb99

Apr 6, 2009
North Carolina
gotta be on the coaching staff. too much talent in the top 6 to be .500.

the lack of motivation and terrible pp points to them.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Under jr this team has made the playoffs 5 out of 18 years. Three of the five amounted to success. This would be the fifth year in a row out if the playoffs.

Maybe this year is on him, maybe not. Maybe past years mistakes are what haunts this years team. Who knows? The record speaks for itself though.

Luke did just write an article saying this road trip could impact the teams future significantly. From the top down.

Blown Away

Apr 23, 2013
I don't think any one person is completely to blame.

I do think some new faces in management would do the franchise a world of good. Some new blood with NO connections to the team. It's not easy to be demanding with a subordinate you also have a friendly personal history/relationship with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad