Speculation: Who do we pick?

Who do we pick at 5th overall?

• Total voters

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm not sure he's going to be qualified. And if he is, he won't garner much in a trade at full money.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm not sure he's going to be qualified. And if he is, he won't garner much in a trade at full money.
If we can get him for a 3rd or less, and he’ll sign a contract that’s moveable, I’d consider it. Though, I’d like a RW. He’s been a LW almost exclusively in the nhl, iirc.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm fine with Nash. To a lesser extent Vanek, too. I think Nash will find better offers than a one or two year deal.

I'd be thrilled with a Neal or even Perron.

I'd even look for Brodziak, Wingels, Letestu type guys in free agency. They are right shots, PK, can play at C or wing. Responsible, and can eat 12+ minutes a game.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why pay? So he chooses to come to maybe the least attractive situation in the nhl and does so without also getting additional term.

My point is that I don’t care if they’re lazy or overpaid. I only care if they’re willing to take a 1yr deal, that they’ll score 20 goals, and that they don’t cost any assets to acquire.
No thank you. Great role model for the kids.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Now that Chayka is in the fold, I think our purpose in drafting is far more solid. Chayka even said it himself upon getting hired as the AGM to Maloney - we want to use the draft to make up that difference for what we haven't been able to get UFA-wise. Getting things done internally and developing said talent that way is a key. Yes, we would take the hit on pure elite talent level, but there is nothing that says that a late 1st and a mid 2nd rounder can't be very good players whose combined value is greater than that of a single player.

I am a big "sum is greater than the parts" type of person...

I do think that they key to that prolonged success in the NHL comes down to having a couple of elite guys in key positions and surrounding them with good players that can be made to play better with the talent they skate with. With they Yotes... I'll take whatever it is to be a contending team for a decent period of time.

Also agree that Chayka and Co. have been much better. So I'd be more willing to work with the idea under their leadership.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Well, considering we would go from #5, and three late round picks (most of whom never sniff the league) to a player in the NHL who is capable of 40 points, plus two picks in the top 50 (picks who are far more likely to make it to the NHL than picks in the 4th, 5th, or 6th rounds), yes, it makes sense. Each draft is different.

If we knew that the next Keller was available at the pick, maybe we don't do that deal. But if that upside isn't clear, we may get one potentially very good player at #5 or three good players in Coyle and the additional picks. We have some development time to work with, so subtracting the 5 pick isn't great, but adding pieces that can make up for it can. Maybe this is the 2011 draft (Ryan Strome taken 5th OA), and the players that we could potentially grab in the 2nd are the likes of Kucherov, William Karlsson, Mayfield, Jenner, Gibson, Victor Rask, Saad, or Salomaki. Just because you are taken high doesn't guarantee success in the NHL and given our track record, maybe it is better off to throw a few good pieces on to the roster, as opposed to just one very good piece. :dunno:

Edit: The last 8 forwards taken in the NHL draft at #5 OA from 2004 - 14 have averaged 56 points over an 82 game season combined. This includes a list of players like Wheeler, Vanek, and Kessel. So, yes, there may be a great player out there, but Coyle averaging 40-45 points per season, plus a late 1st round pick and a mid 2nd round pick would actually be pretty close in the end and it may end up being that both of those picks make the NHL, at which point I would tend to favor the more picks scenario. But again, very close and it is somewhat dependent on the upside available. Is Wahlstrom or Tkachuk likely to produce at a Blake Wheeler or Phil Kessel level, or are they closer to Ryan Strome or Nino Neiderreiter?
It won't take all that to get Coyle from the Wild. Read their boards and look at Coyle's production. He's declining. His numbers still show a 40 pt player, but his much needed physicality for a player his size is gone. He plays so soft in the corners now, doesn't hustle. Hard pass on Coyle, he'd be a big disappointment. Think opposite of Tkachuk.

BigDoaner

Jun 2, 2015
Did anyone watch the WC game today? I haven’t seen it, but I’m reading Hughes looked very good. He even out-muscled horvat, for what it’s worth

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
On his podcast, Bob McKenzie seems to think Carolina could move 2 OV, given the owner is pulling some strings and Dudley has a history of moving down from high picks.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
On his podcast, Bob McKenzie seems to think Carolina could move 2 OV, given the owner is pulling some strings and Dudley has a history of moving down from high picks.

Every year we hear that the top 3-5 picks may be available for trade. When's the last time one of those actually moved? 2003?

Reactions: Jakey53

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
It won't take all that to get Coyle from the Wild. Read their boards and look at Coyle's production. He's declining. His numbers still show a 40 pt player, but his much needed physicality for a player his size is gone. He plays so soft in the corners now, doesn't hustle. Hard pass on Coyle, he'd be a big disappointment. Think opposite of Tkachuk.

Fair enough. I didn't think he had regressed that much, but I guess I have to take the MIN fans at face value on that one.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Eh, either Svechnikov or Zadina could be exactly what that team needs. They have the blueline, they just need the forwards now.
That's what I don't get about Carolina. They have an opportunity to draft a game changing forward.....which is exactly what they need. Why move the pick????

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That's what I don't get about Carolina. They have an opportunity to draft a game changing forward.....which is exactly what they need. Why move the pick????
It's Dudley. He has earned a reputation of moving his first round pick.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Did anyone watch the WC game today? I haven’t seen it, but I’m reading Hughes looked very good. He even out-muscled horvat, for what it’s worth
He looked great throughout the tourney. Our boy Wahlstrom blew an excellent opportunity to tie in the final seconds, off a GREAT Hughes feed.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
He looked great throughout the tourney. Our boy Wahlstrom blew an excellent opportunity to tie in the final seconds, off a GREAT Hughes feed.

Jack Hughes was great throughout the U18 tournament. His older brother Quinn is currently playing in the men's world championship. Quinn is draft eligible and is in the mix for the Coyotes pick this year. Jack will go first overall to the lottery winner (us) next year.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Jack Hughes was great throughout the U18 tournament. His older brother Quinn is currently playing in the men's world championship. Quinn is draft eligible and is in the mix for the Coyotes pick this year. Jack will go first overall to the lottery winner (us) next year.
I understand and was under the impression he was asking about Jack - WC being World CHAMIONSIP?
Oh and you're dreaming - but I like it! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad