Speculation: Who do we pick?

Who do we pick at 5th overall?

• Total voters

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Kind of interested in seeing who most people think we'll pick, rather than what you personally want. I'm still pretty salty that the top 4 players I wanted in this draft will (most likely) all be picked before we get a chance, especially when 2 border-line playoff teams are ahead of us (one of which being a team that was one goal from the Stanley Cup finals.)

By the way, I think the Coyotes just bumped their lottery misfortune championship to 11 years now. The last I read we statistically had the most spots lost over the previous 10 years. I imagine the two slots we dropped this year extends our streak...but I digress,

Honestly, I've lost a lot of gusto for the draft, but I'm trying to get re-interested I guess.
Vote who you think we'll draft, comment who you want to draft.

Voted: Boqvist because I think he fills a need and he's a Swede.
Want: Tkachuk or Wahlstrom

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
We need some Chayka Majic! I vote that we don't stay @ #5. Will the Canes trade down to 5th overall if Zadina falls to us? What will it cost to move up to grab Zadina? Are there any sleepers worth trading down for and pick up other assets? In the spirit of "Rabbit" and this scenario where we stay put and the top 3 are off the boards, I voted for need in the tier he belongs to.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I voted for Wahlstrom. I honestly don't know how to discern between the defensemen trio and the 2nd teir forwards. I think that Tkachuk goes in the 3 or 4 slot, but the GM-less Hurricanes are a wild card.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Wahlstrom, Boqvist, and Hughes all seem like guys who check the boxes based on our last few drafts. Young, dynamic, etc.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Haven't done much research, but I'll go with Bouchard. In London Knights organization (Captain)
6'2, 192 lbs. Versatile D-man (which we could use). Wahlstrom is my close 2nd (6'2, 205 lbs, C/RW), but he'll be going the NCAA route, so I'd like to avoid the chance of that affecting whether or not we sign him. Yes, it worked out with Keller, but as luck goes, ours tends to fluctuate...

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I have a feeling it is Hughes , he seems like a Clayton Keller Defense version

I am not sure who I want,, thinking Whalstrom .. need scoring .. I believe he was also buddies with Keller as well

Reactions: Yandover

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
The first three guys in the draft are clearly ahead of the rest of a group of very good prospects. We wont get Dahlin, sach or Zadina.
I like the group of D that are available. Trust that chykra will draft the best one.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The consensus top three is the consensus top three until it isn't (see 2016 with Columbus taking Dubois over Puljujarvi). The Habs going with Tkachuk would be a peak Bergevin thing to do, and how Ottawa feels with retaining Karlsson while also being hamstrung with finances will absolutely dictate what direction they'll go. Kotkaniemi is also a wild card as possibly the best center prospect in a rare draft that at this point appears to not have a franchise center talent.

Other than being one of the older players in this class, Hughes definitely feels like a Chayka pick. But the analytics do support Wahlstrom as well. I'd be interested to see some infographics comparing the top 10 rated D from this class.

Last edited:

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Honestly so hard to pick who it will be. Several players will possibly be there at 5 and it comes down to what the Yotes are looking for. Hughes, Boqvist, Wahlstrom, Bouchard, Tkachuk (if he's there), etc... All could make a case for the spot and be pretty compelling.

Personally, I like the idea of Wahlstrom (elite scoring righty winger)... But if they have a D man rated above him that's who you take. Also wouldnt mind Tkachuk for Tkachuk reasons. Sometimes guys just got something to them lol. It's easy enough to tell... I'm not sure at all who id take at 5.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If he's on the board I think we take Tkachuk. Beyond that I could see Hughes being a Chayka pick.
I think Hughes has huge upside, and agree, that might be the pick. His size is going to work against him a little but he is exactly where the NHL is going, fast, and skilled.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
The consensus top three is the consensus top three until it isn't (see 2016 with Columbus taking Dubois over Puljujarvi). The Habs going with Tkachuk would be a peak Bergevin thing to do, and how Ottawa feels with retaining Karlsson while also being hamstrung with finances will absolutely dictate what direction they'll go. Kotkaniemi is also a wild card as possibly the best center prospect in a rare draft that at this point appears to not have a franchise center talent.

Other than being one of the older players in this class, Hughes definitely feels like a Chayka pick. But the analytics do support Wahlstrom as well. I'd be interested to see some infographics comparing the top 10 rated D from this class.
How will Ottawa "being hamstrung by finances dictate what direction they would go?". No matter who they draft they will get a player on a rookie contract. Ottawa is in much better shape financially then the Yotes BTW.
And Montreal will not draft Tkachuck. Bergevin is an idiot but not that big of one.
The top three picks are clearly better then the next group of very good players. It was not as clear in 2016.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Finances regarding the retention of Karlsson. If Karlsson is on borrowed time the Senators will likely go D.

And many Habs fans would disagree with Bergevin not being that big of an idiot.

Kyle003p

Dec 17, 2007
Peoria, Il
Voted bouchard after reading rt's write-up on him in the other draft thread. This team could use a guy who refuses to let his team lose. I'd also be very happy with wahlstrom

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Lets trade this pick. Coyotes could have a very good player for that. And finally go to playoff. Stop dream about rebuilding with picks.

Well, if Chayka wants Hughes or someone ranked lower in the top 10 than 5th, I can see him trading the pick for assets if he's confident he'll still get his guy. I'm sure he's going to be working the phones with everyone in the top 10 sussing out deal possibilities.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Well, if Chayka wants Hughes or someone ranked lower in the top 10 than 5th, I can see him trading the pick for assets if he's confident he'll still get his guy. I'm sure he's going to be working the phones with everyone in the top 10 sussing out deal possibilities.
ARI1st+MIN2nd for CHI1st+NSH1st? Though, I’d say if you really have Hughes way high on your list, it’s be very risky to gamble that he’d make it past Detroit. They’re the local team for the USNTDP and for the Wolverines. They’ve been close to Hughes for years. If you like him 4th best and he’s there at 5th, it’s proabbly bad asset management to drop to 8th and hope for the best.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
ARI1st+MIN2nd for CHI1st+NSH1st? Though, I’d say if you really have Hughes way high on your list, it’s be very risky to gamble that he’d make it past Detroit. They’re the local team for the USNTDP and for the Wolverines. They’ve been close to Hughes for years. If you like him 4th best and he’s there at 5th, it’s proabbly bad asset management to drop to 8th and hope for the best.

That's true, but if Chayka is working the phones and is reasonably sure after talking to the other GMs that Hughes will be there at that pick, it might be worth the risk. I dunno, I don't know how much honor among thieves there is among the NHL GMs, but from what I understand they go to great pains in most cases not to titanically screw each other over, particularly in the Draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad