Speculation: Who do we have in our system that's an upgrade from Zaitsev, Polak, and Carrick?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It's seems to me that no combo of Zaitsev/Polak/Carrick is doing the job for the Leafs. Yes I know that the 6th D on many teams is not great, but who will round out the right side once the playoffs start? Is there a graduating Marlie that can step in? Can we get away with:

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Dermott
_______ Zaitsev

?

Please don't tell me that Vailev was that guy.

Is Liljegren ready?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Polak/Carrick/Holl
Borgman

Liljegren not ready

Rotate until one steps up.

Would be too upset over a loss to a hot team one night after playing the best team in the league.

Reactions: Mugzy97

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
If we had someone who was a better option to make us better now, don't you think they would be in the lineup?

Has dermott ever played on his right side?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We got NoooooooooooBooooooooooooody and it is why I wanted another veteran dman to play with Dermott.

Had we got one, even a reliable 4/5 guy I would say if healthy we would push Boston and Tampa to the limits. Right now, going to take tending and luck to get past Rask and Vas.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Some believe Lily is close, based on what I have read on these boards.

But like the aforementioned stated, I would deploy the d-lines as:
Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Carrick
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Polak

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Zaitsev/Polak/Carrick
We have right D needs. (those are all right D)
upload_2018-2-23_18-31-45-png.100075

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/right-defense-a-position-of-need.2454177/

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
No one. It's why I was really hoping the Leafs would bring in help in the 6th D slot to solidy that position with Dermott, and end this Polak/Carrick rotation stuff.

The larger issue however, is Zaitsev's play - he hasn't looked particularly good since coming back from injury. Often, he's looked like someone who is struggling to come to terms with the pace of the game, which is a concern heading down the stretch.

That, in turns, effects Gardiner (his numbers with and without Zaitsev this season are really interesting).

Realistically speaking, if the Leafs want to help their blueline, I think it starts with splitting that Gardiner - Zaitsev pair up and sheltering Zaitsev until he finds his game again.

Beyond that I don't think there's too much else the Leafs can do.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
Connor Carrick essentially performs like a second pairing RHD when given the opportunity and while he doesn't play a ton of minutes it has been against decent competition. We should be giving him the leash and ability to earn more ice time rather than Roman Polugggghhhh and Nikita Zaitsev, who has regressed since last year. Zaitsev wasn't even good last year either.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
Ideal pairings today

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Carrick
Dermott Zaitsev

And eventually

Rielly __________ Fill in top 4 D-man somewhere
Gardiner Liljegren
Dermott Carrick

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Some believe Lily is close, based on what I have read on these boards.

But like the aforementioned stated, I would deploy the d-lines as:
Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Carrick
Dermott - Zaitsev
Borgman - Polak
Lil isn't close, realistically a cup of coffee maybe next year, perhaps makes the team 2019/20, which would be an excellent progression.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Liljegren is really the only Dman in the system at present that has any real upside and plays RHD, but still years away from being a regular.

Leafs right side D is among the weakest in the NHL at present.

Hainsey is old a LHD playing on the right side, Zaitsev is a 2nd pairing guy and in his prime age, while Carrick and Polak are #7 dmen swapping in and out in the #6 role.

This is where not taking a Zach Werenski when the chance was there is having long-term impact.

Rielly -- Werenski
Gardiner -- Zaitsev
Dermott -- Hainsey

Last edited:
Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Connor Carrick essentially performs like a second pairing RHD when given the opportunity and while he doesn't play a ton of minutes it has been against decent competition. We should be giving him the leash and ability to earn more ice time rather than Roman Polugggghhhh and Nikita Zaitsev, who has regressed since last year. Zaitsev wasn't even good last year either.
Why do people keep saying this? He was good last year, especially considering it was his first year in the NHL. 2nd for defense in even strength points and one point behind Gardiner last year for powerplay points. Zaitsev this year has been given more PK duties and has had all of his PP duties taken away from him. It's a down year for him but I'm surprised by the amount of people that just want him thrown in the AHL after recovering from a broken leg. I still think he can take on the 2nd pairing duties in the future on the right side.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Holl, Liljegren and LoVerde play the right side. Marincin is left handed but has often played the right side. Rielly can play the right side in a pinch. The Leafs like most NHL teams are weakest on the right side defense. There is nothing shocking about this. Fortunately LW is also the weakest forward position league wide (3 LWs in top 20 scoring, 9 LWs in top 50). The team has a depth of guys to play this side. They've got 4 defensemen on the NHL roster who play the right side. It's just an easy gloom and doom subject.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
De
Liljegren is really the only Dman in the system at present that has any real upside and plays RHD, but still years away from being a regular.

Leafs right side D is among the weakest in the NHL at present.

Hainsey is old a LHD playing on the right side, Zaitsev is a 2nd pairing guy and in his prime age, while Carrick and Polak are #7 dmen swapping in and out in the #6 role.

This is where not taking a Zach Werenski when the chance was there is having long-term impact.

Rielly -- Werenski
Gardiner -- Zaitsev
Dermott -- Hainsey
Not really. A good offense beats a good defense any day. We have seen the penguins who have won back to back cups and did not have a strong d-core. Elite top end(matthews, along with marner and nylander soon) plus solid secondary pieces(jvr, kadri, marleau) and great depth(bozak, brown, hyman, kappy, plecks) is better recipies to winning then adding someone like werenski. Weresnki is not good enough to significantly impact the leafs backend. He is a worse player than rielly currently. We have rasanen developing and will most likely take another RHD with out first couple picks. Defense will improve slowly . As long as we maintain our elite offensive core and amazig depth we are contenders. There arw multiple ways to build a team. Not every team needs to be built from back end out.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Fortunately what we do have in D (Lily) is miles better than what we have at C. Another deficiency.

Ya we need some home runs at the draft. Really good players moving out as well. Bozak JVR and we for sure don't have that level to fill the holes.

Maybe we are going to sign JVR? Other UFA?

Lethalsniper007

Aug 2, 2005
It's seems to me that no combo of Zaitsev/Polak/Carrick is doing the job for the Leafs. Yes I know that the 6th D on many teams is not great, but who will round out the right side once the playoffs start? Is there a graduating Marlie that can step in? Can we get away with:

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Dermott
_______ Zaitsev

?

Please don't tell me that Vailev was that guy.

Is Liljegren ready?
Don’t mind Polak especially in the playoffs it’s Zaitsev he’s having a bad year ... I would go with Rosén and Holl

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I hope the Leafs try and grab a center with their 1st round pick if one is still available that Hunter is high on.

I have a feeling Babcock will keep Nylander on Matthews wing so a good center prospect would be some nice insurance

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I hope the Leafs try and grab a center with their 1st round pick if one is still available that Hunter is high on.

I have a feeling Babcock will keep Nylander on Matthews wing so a good center prospect would be some nice insurance

If we grab one at the draft, what are the chances of them cracking the starting line-up in the fall? We'll have to do more than draft.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Borgman's a rookie, hopefully internal growth from him and eventually Liljegren help out.

Regardless, our bottom pairing depth is pretty decent I think, it's not an Achilles heel or anything.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Ya we need some home runs at the draft. Really good players moving out as well. Bozak JVR and we for sure don't have that level to fill the holes.

Maybe we are going to sign JVR? Other UFA?

Even a HR at the draft is years away for the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad