Speculation: Who do we have in our system that's an upgrade from Zaitsev, Polak, and Carrick?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If we grab one at the draft, what are the chances of them cracking the starting line-up in the fall? We'll have to do more than draft.
It would be a long term plan. I honestly could see Bozak being resigned if he is willing to take AAV representative of a #3C. Leafs will have to sign at least 1 center next year if Nylander doesn't transition over and 2 if aaltonen doesn't take over the 4C spot.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
It would be a long term plan. I honestly could see Bozak being resigned if he is willing to take AAV representative of a #3C. Leafs will have to sign at least 1 center next year if Nylander doesn't transition over and 2 if aaltonen doesn't take over the 4C spot.
agree on Bozak, and I think 2-3 years @ 3C money gets it done for a guy with a young kid at home. Really not concerned about the C position next year at this point, we have lots of options with Nylander, Marleau, option to resign Bozak/Plekanec and some alright UFA's

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
agree on Bozak, and I think 2-3 years @ 3C money gets it done for a guy with a young kid at home. Really not concerned about the C position next year at this point, we have lots of options with Nylander, Marleau, option to resign Bozak/Plekanec and some alright UFA's
Yup a 3 year deal at 3C money would be fine from my POV and hopefully Bozak's lol. I haven't been a big fan of Patty at center, as he ages more he would probably get worse at center too.

Evidently Plek already has a deal in place with Montreal, sort of a handshake agreement so I wouldn't count on him coming back.

Edit: I guess the real question is what will 3C AAV look like with the rising cap

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yup a 3 year deal at 3C money would be fine from my POV and hopefully Bozak's lol. I haven't been a big fan of Patty at center, as he ages more he would probably get worse at center too.

Evidently Plek already has a deal in place with Montreal, sort of a handshake agreement so I wouldn't count on him coming back.

Edit: I guess the real question is what will 3C AAV look like with the rising cap

I have 0 interest in bringing back Bozak. He will continue to decline at his age. He already looks like he barely moves at points. I think I rather fill that position internally. We don't have to spend millions on a #3c. Time to move on. He is also being spoon fed PP time and still only has 8 PPP. Below average defensively. Needs to be sheltered. Don't want the Leafs to pay 3+ mil for that.

Reactions: Menzinger

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I think the greatest need is to start drafting and developing centres.

On defence, Borgman is an NHLer in IMO. He kinda got caught in the numbers when Dermot came up. Next year Reilly, Gardiner (his last year) Dermot, Borgman, Zaitsev and Hainsey. Suppose Carrick has a shot. Holl is 26 years old and really is a really iffy to be an NHLer. He is a UFA, but the Leafs could overpay him as AHLer if they wanted him to stay. And does that Russian sign and he is NHL good?
Liljegren, Nielsen aren't ready next year. Leafs have about 10m in UFA money. There aren't really UFA Dmen available but if anything maybe the Leafs can trade for just short term help for a year or two.
If Dermot, Borgman improve and Zaitsev "wakes up" the sure would help the overall defence. Leafs are probably waiting till 2019/20 and seeing how their cap is with all their RFAs signing. Lots of potential UFA Dmen available if the Leafs have the cap or desire in 2019.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

If Bozak wants to test the market and see what his best offer looks like then come back and see if we're close that would probably work too. I would guess 3C money is somewhere in the 4.5-5% of cap range, like mid-upper $3M's

I heard that about Plekanec too, but that team is going to be hot garbage and the media is ravenous when they aren't good, I wouldn't want to sign up for that if I had a better option so wonder if he could be swayed. Bigger question will be if we want him back I think

also seems like we're developing a pattern of adding a bottom 6 center ad the deadline each year, so I don't think we necessarily have to have the 4 guys in place that we're going into the playoffs with to start the season. I'd be fine with re-signing Moore and letting him, Aaltonen & Goat fight for the bottom line spot and upgrade at the deadline if necessary

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Expect another off season signing like Hainsey to pair up with Gards.

Reilly Hainsey
Gards ---------
Dermott Zaitsev

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Liljegren is really the only Dman in the system at present that has any real upside and plays RHD, but still years away from being a regular.

Leafs right side D is among the weakest in the NHL at present.

Hainsey is old a LHD playing on the right side, Zaitsev is a 2nd pairing guy and in his prime age, while Carrick and Polak are #7 dmen swapping in and out in the #6 role.

This is where not taking a Zach Werenski when the chance was there is having long-term impact.

Rielly -- Werenski
Gardiner -- Zaitsev
Dermott -- Hainsey
Or provorov for that matter.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I have 0 interest in bringing back Bozak. He will continue to decline at his age. He already looks like he barely moves at points. I think I rather fill that position internally. We don't have to spend millions on a #3c. Time to move on. He is also being spoon fed PP time and still only has 8 PPP. Below average defensively. Needs to be sheltered. Don't want the Leafs to pay 3+ mil for that.
Who are you going to bring in internally to fill the #3C and #4C spot?

Any UFA you bring in will probably cost more term and AAV than Bozak for less productivity.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If Bozak wants to test the market and see what his best offer looks like then come back and see if we're close that would probably work too. I would guess 3C money is somewhere in the 4.5-5% of cap range, like mid-upper $3M's

I heard that about Plekanec too, but that team is going to be hot garbage and the media is ravenous when they aren't good, I wouldn't want to sign up for that if I had a better option so wonder if he could be swayed. Bigger question will be if we want him back I think

also seems like we're developing a pattern of adding a bottom 6 center ad the deadline each year, so I don't think we necessarily have to have the 4 guys in place that we're going into the playoffs with to start the season. I'd be fine with re-signing Moore and letting him, Aaltonen & Goat fight for the bottom line spot and upgrade at the deadline if necessary
Ya I was thinking in that 3.75 AAV range. I think Aalt should be a lock for that 4C spot if he continues playing pretty well for the Marlies.

Ya but Plek spent 15 years in Montreal, I could see him signing like a 2 years deal there and then retire. Seems to love the city.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

Nylander wont play center next year lets be honest if he has 1 bad game Babs moves him back to the wing, if he's not willing to give Nylander a chance to work through bad games now while Matthews is injured, when the games don't mean much since our playoff spot is all but guaranteed, what chance does he give him that opportunity next year?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Nylander wont play center next year lets be honest if he has 1 bad game Babs moves him back to the wing, if he's not willing to give Nylander a chance to work through bad games now while Matthews is injured, when the games don't mean much since our playoff spot is all but guaranteed, what chance does he give him that opportunity next year?
probably because Nylander will be signed at winger money next year, I wouldn't want him excelling in a C position right now either with the money that Draisatl got

we also have 4 roster C's right now with Matthews out, it's not likely that we have that depth next year with 3 of our 5 C's being UFA's

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The playoff stretch isn't the time to hone his craft as a centerman. Instead he'll have all summer/training camp to work on it.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
It's seems to me that no combo of Zaitsev/Polak/Carrick is doing the job for the Leafs. Yes I know that the 6th D on many teams is not great, but who will round out the right side once the playoffs start? Is there a graduating Marlie that can step in? Can we get away with:

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Dermott
_______ Zaitsev

?

Please don't tell me that Vailev was that guy.

Is Liljegren ready?
Borgman was ahead of Valiev imo.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
No one.

Gardiner and Zaitsev dont make each other better, so I hope Babcock will try something new. I doubt it, but theres a sliver of hope within me.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
No one.

Gardiner and Zaitsev dont make each other better, so I hope Babcock will try something new. I doubt it, but theres a sliver of hope within me.

Looks like Holl might be better than all of them.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
The playoff stretch isn't the time to hone his craft as a centerman. Instead he'll have all summer/training camp to work on it.

you don't get better at that position by working on it in the off-season the things Nylander needs to work on are only learned with experience playing games, and there is pretty much no other better time to give the kids some extra rope then now when the games mean little, our ticket to the playoffs is pretty much punched. as a player you can work on your individual skills in the off season but it's very difficult to improve your team game over the summer. and if Babcock will not put up with Willy as a center today and let him play through mistakes then I doubt we'll ever see him play that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->