Who are the most loved players in your native country

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
But only in Quebec. Doubt that he is even on the list in the other 9 provinces. Strictly a local hero.

He would certainly be on the list in the maritime provinces, especially New Brunswick, though obviously he was special in Quebec. I suspect he would make the list in many other provinces as well, though he certainly might poll well there for notoriety also.

The Rocket was hardly a "local" hero, and the Canadiens have always been quite popular (and unpopular) across the country.

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
Saku is maybe the most popular. Ofcourse everybody loves Raimo "Raipe,the saucer pass" Helminen. Its a shame he didnt want to get used to the North American playing style more.He was insanely good in his peak in early nineties. In 93-94sesson in SEL, before some guy named Peter Forsberg went to NHL, Raimo scored ten more points than Forsberg in same amount of games.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
He would certainly be on the list in the maritime provinces, especially New Brunswick, though obviously he was special in Quebec. I suspect he would make the list in many other provinces as well, though he certainly might poll well there for notoriety also.

The Rocket was hardly a "local" hero, and the Canadiens have always been quite popular (and unpopular) across the country.
You are probably right about the maritimes. Rocket may have been popular there. However, the Leafs were the favorite team west of Quebec and the Canadiens & their players were very unpopular.

In my own experience, living in southern Ontario, I can't think of anyone who liked the Canadiens or any of their players. Howe was popular (he was my brothers favorite), there were many Bobby Hull fans (i was one). Orr had his followers. But Leafs like Teeder Kennedy, Dave Keon, Wendell Clark etc were definitely the most popular.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

yeah, i'm pretty sure all of us canadians regularly watched "five maurice richards against five other maurice richards" in school growing up, and not just in french class.

hannes_ko

Jun 19, 2002
Finland
Visit site
Finnish tabloid Iltalehti had a poll on it's website. It was about who is the perfect Lion, meaning who has been greatest in Finnish national team. Raipe won, Teemu was a close second. Iltalehti is of course rubbish, but these results give us a clue of what general audience thinks. I was a little surprised Nummelin beat Koivu.

1. Raimo Helminen 25.5 %
  2. Teemu Selänne 24.8 %
  3. Ville Peltonen 10.3 %
  4. Petteri Nummelin 6.9 %
  5. Saku Koivu 6.6 %
  6. Jari Kurri 6.4 %
  7. Veli-Pekka Ketola 4.3 %
  8. Timo Jutila 3.8 %
  9. Jarmo Myllys 2.2 %
  10. Esa Tikkanen 2.0 %

Seanconn*

I wonder who Russians like the most?

I'm betting it's still kharlamov for a lot of people.

ovi, federov and even bure are probably up there though too.

RabbinsDuck

Feb 1, 2008
Brighton, MI
Great topic -

I'm sure Howe is not mentioned as much as Beliveau or Richard because he played for an American team and continued to live more as an American than the others.

As for the USA, which is by far the least nationalist of other countries, as far as hockey goes (very few of my favorite players are American), it was definitely the 80 US team players for a while, giving way to Lafontaine to Chelios, Roenick and Modano. Nowadays it is still probably Modano with Miller making big strides in the past year. But ultimately, most American hockey fans feel next to no obligation to root for American players.... especially when our culture really 'amercanizes' most players. Though not to a point that the standard American sports fan can get into hockey.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Kühnhackl is the name in the Germany that still everyone knows.
Scoring at an insane pace, being the best player in the only medal we ever won at the Olympics, holding a ton of domestic records. Household name. One of the few sportsmen that is not known because of football^^

Thats easy since he's one of the best players ever. If he'd hit NHL today, he'd be the best player in the league easily. Sadly North Americans probably don't even know who he is. The way he played in German national team was Orr-like. (Not quite skillwise, but he often played alone vs the opposing team virtually)

For Finland I have to agree with "Raipe" Helminen. Everyone knows him, and everyone except maybe Tappara fans think he's a swell guy. He might also be the most popular player of Sweden in some parts. ;)

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki

Larionov is the one my couple russian friends appreciate the most, because he was THE main player who organized the break from Soviet/Tikhonov dictatorship.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The US isn't really nationalistic about hockey.

It would have to be the Miracle on ice Team ..... but if you ask people in philly who they're favorite player is it's going to be Clarke/Parent etc. .... in Pittsburgh it'll be Crosby/Lemieux/Jagr .... it Detroit it'll be Yzerman/Howe/Lidstrom etc.

You'll get the answer of the best players of all-time for that cities NHL team.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Larionov is the one my couple russian friends appreciate the most, because he was THE main player who organized the break from Soviet/Tikhonov dictatorship.

Larionov had started it (the discussion), but I think it was rather Fetisov whose actions - along with glasnost/perestroika - made it happen in the end.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
In Quebec it is probably Rocket Richard though Guy Lafleur is probably the idol of more people right now because of the Rocket generation dying little by little.Patrick Roy is also big for the 20s generation.I dont think Beliveau was the idol of the same amount of people than the Rocket and Flower.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Pretty much what some of the others said. Maurice Richard is practically a saint in Quebec.

"And a nation of fans. Richard's death on May 27 due to abdominal cancer elicited a massive outpouring of affection across the country. But the loss was especially great in Montreal, Richard's home city, where an estimated 115,000 people joined to pay their respects as he lay in state. Another 2,700 mourners packed Notre Dame Basilica for the funeral itself, and thousands of others lined Montreal streets for the funeral procession and to watch the solemn mass on a large video screen outside the church."

"Richard always insisted he was just a simple hockey player, but to many he was a cultural icon. As a result, the pews were filled not only with hockey's elite - including his old rival Gordie Howe - but also with Prime Minister Jean Chrétien, Quebec Premier Lucien Bouchard and other political and cultural luminaries. But the most prolific turnout came from Richard's ordinary fans who lined Ste-Catherine Street and chanted "Maurice! Maurice!" as the cortege wound its way to the church."

http://www.encyclopediecanadienne.ca/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=M1ARTM0012190

goooal

May 3, 2009
Buffalo
Great topic -

I'm sure Howe is not mentioned as much as Beliveau or Richard because he played for an American team and continued to live more as an American than the others.

As for the USA, which is by far the least nationalist of other countries, as far as hockey goes (very few of my favorite players are American), it was definitely the 80 US team players for a while, giving way to Lafontaine to Chelios, Roenick and Modano. Nowadays it is still probably Modano with Miller making big strides in the past year. But ultimately, most American hockey fans feel next to no obligation to root for American players.... especially when our culture really 'amercanizes' most players. Though not to a point that the standard American sports fan can get into hockey.

I feel the same way. I don't care where a player is from at all and neither do most people I know. I'd say if anything I see more of a NA bias (as opposed to European).

Anyways, I'd probably say Miller is the most popular individual player in the US right now.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
71. Do you know how many states are there in the world or even in UN?
My state doesnt and probably never recognise the independence of Kosovo, I agree with this (as 90% of people) and I am proud of this fact.

So at least from my point of view Kosovo is not a state. :)

Vladsky

Mar 8, 2008

Depends on the generation.

Ovie-Malkin-Kovalchuk for those who started watching hockey in the 2000s, but older guys have some memories to cherish.

Helmut Balderis for me (my avatar). Not an ethnic Russian, but I still remember him in CCCP jersey. Magic.

UPD: Oh, and Larionov is definitely my favorite KLM liner.

Vladsky

Mar 8, 2008
Hm:
In February 2008, the Assembly of Kosovo declared Kosovo's independence as the Republic of Kosovo. Its independence is recognised by 71 UN member states and the Republic of China (Taiwan).

Dont want to start a political debate, but proud residents of South Ossetia and Abkhazia say hi :yo:

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Helmut Balderis for me (my avatar). Not an ethnic Russian, but I still remember him in CCCP jersey. Magic.

No, that's Valeri Vasiliev :sarcasm:

Some bio has it that Balderis did not give 100 % when he played for USSR; that's interesting considering that he still was probably their most dangerous - though not the best IMO - forward 1977-79.

Flames420

Jan 2, 2007
Orr
Gretzky
Richard
Yzerman
Lafleur

Richard might not be loved nation-wide like the others, but I GUARANTEE you there's not a city in North America that worships an athlete like Montreal does Rocket Richard.

When you get suspended for the playoffs for punching out a ref and your team's fans start burning things and rioting, you're probably an icon there.

Doghandler

Jul 9, 2010
Sweden
For Swedes of my generation Salming hands down. I once got to meet Börje and have a little chat with him, he was kind enough to take the time to talk to us even though it was in a crowded bar and he was sitting with a a couple of friends having a few beers. A total class act.

For the younger ones I'd say Forsberg is the most popular one. Sundin probably in the Stockholm region.

StoneColdFlower*

France: Cristobal Huet

The man had a 0.92 save percentage with sub-AHL defense in the Worlds a few years ago.

And if you ever watch France play curling and hockey, you will know that French people have no business being on ice unless they live in North America. :P

Teus

Oct 5, 2003
Lund
Visit site
For Finland I have to agree with "Raipe" Helminen. Everyone knows him, and everyone except maybe Tappara fans think he's a swell guy. He might also be the most popular player of Sweden in some parts. ;)
He is loved here in Malmö. :)

denmark,jannik hanson
I would more guess on someone like Jens Nielsen or Heinz Ehlers. Kim Staal could be up there because of his great personality. For the Danes on the forum to answer though. :)

As for Sweden, it's probably a question with different answers for each generation. I like the names mentioned and would say it's between Tumba (50s-60s), Holmqvist (60s-70s), Salming (70s-90s), Sundin (90s-00s) and Forsberg (90s-00s).

I wish I could add Lidström to the list, but as people have said, the casual hockey fans haven't gotten the same exposure to him as with Forsberg and Sundin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad