Who are the Kings' untouchables?

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I think that's being a little sentimental, I think that's clouding your judgement a bit, Quick is a very great goalie, but if Jones could be pretty good, I think it's a fair trade off.

He has 11 career starts. Let that cloud your judgment.

Did illpucks borrow your username?

KingKopitar11*

He has 11 career starts. Let that cloud your judgment.

Did illpucks borrow your username?

Lol. I don't mean now man. I'm saying if he keeps it up for the rest of the year, and maybe even next season. Until he's more proven, and still on the same level.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Lol. I don't mean now man. I'm saying if he keeps it up for the rest of the year, and maybe even next season. Until he's more proven, and still on the same level.

His cinderella story will end next week and it'll be back to the jungle.

Quick and Scrivens will roll this year and Jones will take over this October.

HolyShot*

Quick wouldn't fetch much. That's just the nature of the market.

saintsnsoldiers

GO KINGS GO
Jun 13, 2007
Arizona, Tucson
No one and I repeat no one is untouchable. It's DL job to win Stanley Cups. There are players he would love to build around and keep, but if the right player opens up or he feels he can make the team better boom he will pull the trigger. And if he were not to then he should be gone, its about icing the best team possible. There are better players out there than we currently have on out roster. So anything can happen, If the Great One could be traded in his prime, so can Kopi, Doughty and Quick.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Kopitar
Doughty
Quick

These 3, because it would be impossible to get an upgrade, anyone who might be better than Kopitar/Doughty/Quick is probably not being traded any time soon.

Carter is a big maybe, just because he is the Kings only truly elite winger.

No one else on the team is untouchable.

I agree with this.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
There are very few untouchables, I thnk that is predicated upon how desperate an ownership group is to win and what pressure they put the GM under to achieve that goal. You never know who in the background is pulling those strings.

That said, being old school, I still believe most successful teams, who want to build a complete and balanced team that can be competitive and have deep playoff runs and perform at a championship level need to have 4 positions locked down to make that skeleton for the team, it's foundation.
A world class goalie
A stud #1 D
and 2 elite centers to lock down the 1 and 2 lines.

With that in place, you can build around that. It is the formula that has worked for most dynasty's and elite teams.

I think DL has done a good job in drafting and trading for that. With Quick, Doughty, Kopi, Richards and Carter, he has a solid and strong nucleus that forms the foundation that he can build around.
And esp for the salary he's has them signed to, going forward, that leaves more money to spend on those players to fill out the top 6 and create a good bottom 6.

It's why certain GM's and organizations, historically, have always had that rep.

stonedhenge

Jun 29, 2010
Richards looks done to me. If he won't step up in the playoffs this year, I would trade him as soon as possible, while he is still under 30 to get back as much as possible. I would pack him with Brown and a 1st to get some real 1st line young talent. I don't like Brown's new contract. Lombardi got screwed on that one.

FootKnight

This ****ing team
May 28, 2007
I know this 5-game losing streak sucks guys, but come on. In the previous 22 games they went 16-2-4 for god's sake. Let's calm it down a little.

HolyShot*

There are very few untouchables, I thnk that is predicated upon how desperate an ownership group is to win and what pressure they put the GM under to achieve that goal. You never know who in the background is pulling those strings.

That said, being old school, I still believe most successful teams, who want to build a complete and balanced team that can be competitive and have deep playoff runs and perform at a championship level need to have 4 positions locked down to make that skeleton for the team, it's foundation.
A world class goalie
A stud #1 D
and 2 elite centers to lock down the 1 and 2 lines.

With that in place, you can build around that. It is the formula that has worked for most dynasty's and elite teams.

I think DL has done a good job in drafting and trading for that. With Quick, Doughty, Kopi, Richards and Carter, he has a solid and strong nucleus that forms the foundation that he can build around.
And esp for the salary he's has them signed to, going forward, that leaves more money to spend on those players to fill out the top 6 and create a good bottom 6.

It's why certain GM's and organizations, historically, have always had that rep.

So crawford, thomas, fleury, giguere and osgood are all world class goalies? The position of goaltender in the nhl is severely overrated.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I actually laughed out loud. :laugh:

Me too :laugh: untouchables from ANOTHER team's perspective!

Kopitar
Doughty
Quick

These 3, because it would be impossible to get an upgrade, anyone who might be better than Kopitar/Doughty/Quick is probably not being traded any time soon.

Carter is a big maybe, just because he is the Kings only truly elite winger.

No one else on the team is untouchable.

I agree with Herbie here.

I certainly wouldn't like the next tier (Carter, Richards, Voynov) to get moved, but I don't think they're untouchable if someone made a fantastic offer, at least not in the same way the three big ones are. Maybe these are near-untouchable.

MollerManor

Feb 18, 2009
Quick
Kopitar
Doughty
Carter
Brown
Richards
Voynov
Toffoli

Trading any of these guys would be dum. d-u-m DUM.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So crawford, thomas, fleury, giguere and osgood are all world class goalies? The position of goaltender in the nhl is severely overrated.

I think that's a vast overstatement. There may be more above-average goalies than ever in the league, but that doesn't mean there aren't elite ones out there. How many goalies were you genuinely scared to face in the playoffs? I dare you to read other teams' GDT when we are playing Quick.

It may be a bigger deal for our team because we can't score 5 goals a game, but you could put Labarbera in net backwards for Chicago and they can still pot enough to win.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
1. Doughty
2. Kopitar
3. Quick

After that Carter is close, but anyone could be had for the right deal. Those 3 players are probably the untouchables.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I phrased that wrong and you caught it before I could edit it. He almost put the Kings in a position to win the series. He was the Kings best player in their final game.

And him missing time in that series was a big part of the outcome. Give us a Healthy Richards and I feel it's a different outcome. MR brings so much more than the stats show without him we would still not be contenders

HolyShot*

I think that's a vast overstatement. There may be more above-average goalies than ever in the league, but that doesn't mean there aren't elite ones out there. How many goalies were you genuinely scared to face in the playoffs? I dare you to read other teams' GDT when we are playing Quick.

It may be a bigger deal for our team because we can't score 5 goals a game, but you could put Labarbera in net backwards for Chicago and they can still pot enough to win.

It all depends on the system. You could put miller in philly and he would stink it up. Conversely, labarbera in la (lol) or boston would put up respectable numbers.

Its true. There are elite goalies out there but they're just not much better than the tier below them. Good goaltending comes from good defense. This isn't to say that just anybody could put up quicks numbers from 2012. Quick is great.

Its hard to explain and I don't feel like racking my brain now for it. Goaltending is all about athleticism and focus. If a guy is no good at either one, he won't stop ****. And if there's a bad system in front of him, then he definitely won't stop ****.

I don't know man, I've never really played goalie before but when I did it was all about staying in front of the puck and having quick control of your limbs. This was roller hockey but same thing applies I believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad