Who are the "core" THREE?

Kennerdell

Nov 11, 2015
Maryland
Based on age it's Reinhart, Eichel and Mathews.

I like what you did there. I think we are one of like 16 teams who have never won the lottery. A lot of this is derived simply because we never finished low enough to get that shot. We were the winningest overall franchise since our inception in the entire NHL if memory serves me correct. The fact that we have never won a Stanley Cup based around this fact is simply astounding. Since the tank years I don't know if we still hold that crown. Couple that with the fact that, despite finishing last the last two years, we haven't won the lottery yet. Eventually those planets in the hockey heaven skies will align. We can only suffer for so long before something breaks. You want to talk about stacked and talented roster that is far below the salary cap without any FA additions? Good god almighty. I want to win that lottery so damn bad.

Core three for me is Eichel, Risto, RoR 3a, Reinhart 3b. lol if we can do that. they are both equally important to me so I would actually need to flip a coin.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I like what you did there. I think we are one of like 16 teams who have never won the lottery. A lot of this is derived simply because we never finished low enough to get that shot. We were the winningest overall franchise since our inception in the entire NHL if memory serves me correct. The fact that we have never won a Stanley Cup based around this fact is simply astounding. Since the tank years I don't know if we still hold that crown. Couple that with the fact that, despite finishing last the last two years, we haven't won the lottery yet. Eventually those planets in the hockey heaven skies will align. We can only suffer for so long before something breaks. You want to talk about stacked and talented roster that is far below the salary cap without any FA additions? Good god almighty. I want to win that lottery so damn bad.

Core three for me is Eichel, Risto, RoR 3a, Reinhart 3b. lol if we can do that. they are both equally important to me so I would actually need to flip a coin.

We won the coin flip with the Canucks for Perrault though

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
Usually more than 3 in the core...

Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury
Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa
Kopitar, Brown, Doughty, Quick

I'd say ours is Eichel, Reinhart, ROR, Risto and maybe our next draft pick

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I went with Risto, ROR and Reinhart. Why? Well, because while Eichel is a very special and talented player, I feel like those three are the kind of players you build teams on. It's a foundation. Eichel is the gold plattered roof of the church of Sabres that makes tourists oh and ah and take pictures, but the core is what keeps it from collapsing under it's own weight. ;)

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
I went with Risto, ROR and Reinhart. Why? Well, because while Eichel is a very special and talented player, I feel like those three are the kind of players you build teams on. It's a foundation. Eichel is the gold plattered roof of the church of Sabres that makes tourists oh and ah and take pictures, but the core is what keeps it from collapsing under it's own weight. ;)

Ya no

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
ROR is the next captain. So I put him in my core 3 with Eichel and Risto.

Although, given the Sabres captain history, maybe that means I should have put Samson in there instead of ROR.

:laugh:

Clock

May 13, 2006
I went Eichel, ROR, Risto. Limiting it to 3 instead of 4 is what made this tricky, otherwise I would've included Sam. The drop from 4 to 5 feels way more significant than 3 to 4.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I think listing as many potential "core" players as possible and letting people pick as many as they like, then grabbing the top 3 highest % picked in the poll after so many days, would've give a more candid picture of what people think.

Either way, I guess right now the best bets are Eichel, Risto and Reinhart. ROR is the obvious 3b, but if I have to pick 3... I think Reinhart's IQ will lead to more longevity and success over time, than ROR's balls-to-the-wall, blue collar play style. Both immensely talented though.

Last edited:

ZemgusWho

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
Next time, you should alphabetize. I think you were a bit leading with your poll options. The top three choices are clearly on top. ;-)

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think listing as many potential "core" players as possible and letting people pick as many as they like, then grabbing the top 3 highest % picked in the poll after so many days, would've give a more candid picture of what people think.

Either way, I guess right now the best bets are Eichel, Risto and Reinhart. ROR is the obvious 3b, but if I have to pick 3... I think Reinhart's IQ will lead to more longevity and success over time, than ROR's balls-to-the-wall, blue collar play style. Both immensely talented though.

I agree with the Reinhart's IQ remark, but there's more to the ROR, than "balls-to-the-wall, and Blue Collar Play style. ROR's IQ combined with his "balls-to-the-wall, and Blue Collar Play style is what makes him a top candidate as a core player and make him the player he is.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I agree with the Reinhart's IQ remark, but there's more to the ROR, than "balls-to-the-wall, and Blue Collar Play style. ROR's IQ combined with his "balls-to-the-wall, and Blue Collar Play style is what makes him a top candidate as a core player and make him the player he is.
Well, I don't mean to make it sound like ROR doesn't have a stellar hockey IQ because he does. But, and this is based on nothing but my eyeballs, he looks like he has to work a lot harder to be effective... whereas it seems to come a bit more naturally to Reinhart. Makes me think he'll wear down quicker, become less effective at an earlier age.

Thankfully, at this point, we get to keep both. ;) So it doesn't matter what I think.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
tough to choose 3...

Plato, Socrates, Ptolemy, Pythagoras, Aristotle, Diogenes, Euclid...

Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, ...T. Roosevelt

FDR, Churchill, Stalin... Hitler, Mussolini, Hirohito

Huey, Dewey, Louie... Donald, Daisy, Scrooge...

Matthew, Mark, Luke, ...John

Curly, Larry, Moe, ...Shemp

Farah Fawcett, Jacklyn Smith, Kate Jackson,

Turkey, Ham, Bacon (Club)

Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad