Who are the "core" THREE?

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
On NHL Radio right now they are asking who are the "Core Three" players you would protect in an expansion draft? They understand there would be five or more, but for "time purposes" they are keeping it to three.

Five is easy, but three is tougher.

Who are your core three Sabres right now?

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm really torn between ROR and Reino. I suppose it's ROR but Reino is making it close.

The guys on the NHL Network are nuts. I haven't heard the Sabres yet, but on the Blackhawks they are saying that their core is Toews, Keith, and CRAWFORD instead of Kane because goalies are more important than wingers. :rolleyes:

I guess Ovi's not core for Washington.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Not hard at all, when factoring in the future, which has to be the assumption. Samson, eich, risto.

Ror is 4, but there's no way I would let samson go before ROR.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
On NHL Radio right now they are asking who are the "Core Three" players you would protect in an expansion draft? They understand there would be five or more, but for "time purposes" they are keeping it to three.

Five is easy, but three is tougher.

Who are your core three Sabres right now?
Silly exercise. In 2000, the rules were as follows:

• Choose to protect either nine forwards, five defensemen, and one goalie or seven forwards, three defensemen, and two goalies

• If protecting one goalie, there is no experience requirement for the goalie left unprotected. If protecting two goalies, they must leave one goalie unprotected who played in at least 10 games the prior season, or 25 combined games over the past two seasons

• Teams must leave one defenseman and two forwards unprotected who played 40 NHL games the prior season, or 70 combined games over the prior two seasons

• Players on entry-level contracts are automatically exempt, and every existing team will have exactly two players selected

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Ha...two years ago it was "well this rookie D from Finland looks ok" and not much else... and now we can't fit RoR in top 3.

Almost like tanking was the right move.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Very unbalanced poll. We don't have a core 3, we have a core 4.
If you don't believe ROR is an integral part of the core moving forward, your blind.

Points to my case:
Investment made by club to bring him in.
Investment made by club in his extension.
Known as one of the top 5 hardest working NHL players.
Fantastic defensive forward game.
Leadership skills through the roof (and this cannot be stressed enough, example: Reinhart following his workout schedule, etc, etc).
Ability in he to make those around him better.

Those are prime points. This notion of a core 3 is hogwash.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
You could argue Chicago has a core 6.

Hossa Kane Toews
Hjalmarsson Keith Seabrook

(Maybe even 7 atm, Crawford)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
settle down kierkegaard

:laugh:

Weird question considering the expansion drafts of the past have let teams protect 3x that many forwards, let alone the rest of the roster, but Eichel, Risto, ROR for me. Tough to exclude Reinhart, bu that's what happens when you participate in the silly exercise of only picking 3 players.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
:laugh:

Weird question considering the expansion drafts of the past have let teams protect 3x that many forwards, let alone the rest of the roster, but Eichel, Risto, ROR for me. Tough to exclude Reinhart, bu that's what happens when you participate in the silly exercise of only picking 3 players.

I thought it was nonsense when the NHL Network was doing it but then I realized that there is no way we don't have a Core 4.

Maybe my next poll will be the Core 5. That will have a lot more different opinions.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I don't like this thread because it makes me leave out Reinhart. :laugh:

Ryan O'Reinhart, Eichel and Risto. Is that cheating?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad