Prospect Info: Who are the best Goaltenders this draft?

jhmiddleton81

Apr 19, 2015
New York, NY
According to whom? Because Montembeault should not be in the top 100, nor should Sandstrom, if Tomek, Tretiak and Samsonov aren't. Some say Tomek will be the first goalie drafted, and he, Blackwood and Samsonov (or Vladar or Tretiak) will likely be the 1st three taken. Montembeault is suppose to go in the Bibeau range, and Sandstrom shouldn't be taken before the 4th round, if the 4th round at all.

TSN, and I respect their rankings, they're usually right most of the time

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
If we get a 2nd rounder I wouldn't mind drafting Blackwood. Goalies take awhile to develop, it'd be nice to have Blackwood developing and be ready for the NHL just as the team is starting to get better.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
This is really dumb, but Blackwood has a really cool name. So does Sandstrom.

Goalies from Ontario are so rare, it would be great to grab Blackwood.

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
Yep he is by central scouting services as the top north american goaltending prospect. Has anyone watched him play extensively. Any Barrie Colts fans see much of him. Nobody has said much about any goalies to date.

I watched the Colts playoff series against the Bulls. Belleville's offence wasn't great anyway, but he was generally so calm in the net and great at avoiding rebounds. He was a class above the Bulls goalie

Donato

#BarSouth
Nov 19, 2011
Yep he is by central scouting services as the top north american goaltending prospect. Has anyone watched him play extensively. Any Barrie Colts fans see much of him. Nobody has said much about any goalies to date.

Watched two games this year, made a few really good saves that I recall, but goalies are weird how they translate to the NHL.

MapleLife*

Hoping we can somehow grab samsonov with our 4th. Don't want to spend an earlier pick on a goalie though we definintely need some better guys in the system

Durkin67

Would a Goaltender be a possibility with the Nashville pick. I hope this is own thread worthy. Looking forward to your input. Thank you. Its just not talked about much as a possibility and maybe it is being overlooked?

Heres the standout for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2tZXsUa18o

His compete level is off the charts. Lateral movement is unreal. legs like Johnathan Quick, scrambles like Hasek. Very aggressive, never gives up on a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I watched the Colts playoff series against the Bulls. Belleville's offence wasn't great anyway, but he was generally so calm in the net and great at avoiding rebounds. He was a class above the Bulls goalie

Watched two games this year, made a few really good saves that I recall, but goalies are weird how they translate to the NHL.

Poised is good. Retrieving a 2nd rounder would possibly guarantee a good goaltending prospect. Maybe we can get one. Goalies are definitely hard to project. They just go big now if everything else is equal. Maybe its not going to be until the third round that we take one. Maybe they won't at all too.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Heres the standout for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2tZXsUa18o

His compete level is off the charts. Lateral movement is unreal. legs like Johnathan Quick, scrambles like Hasek. Very aggressive, never gives up on a shot.

I watched the whole thing and that guy is a great in the making. I wouldn't want a goalie coach anywhere near him. That's was so unorthodox and awesome at the same time. I like him, he frigging battles and is fearless. Lol I was laughing a couple times. We would love that guy in a Leaf crest.

He is ranked 4th for international goalies. Amongst all these huge goalies he is plunked right in the middle. I like that you showed me that video. He quick and reminds me of Marty Brodeur with them sliding out poke checks too. Everyone might want to watch that!

Last edited:

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
If we get a 2nd rounder I wouldn't mind drafting Blackwood. Goalies take awhile to develop, it'd be nice to have Blackwood developing and be ready for the NHL just as the team is starting to get better.

i agree. i hope shanny looks to move something to bring in a 2nd rounder so we can take a flyer on a strong goalie. i figure the kid could come along slowly over the next ~5 years. i wonder how much of a priority shanny placing on drafting a new goalie?

cdasman04

Jun 28, 2010
Orillia, ON
In Barrie, seen Blackwood plenty. Would love for the Leafs to grab a 2nd and pick him up, but in all honesty I could see him going earlier than expected (late first, early second).

He's raw but he's got all the things you like in a raw goalie; size, movement etc. Plus he is gaining lots of valuable experience with the Colts. Just finished his second year as the Colts starter and was their best player in the playoffs by a mile.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
i agree. i hope shanny looks to move something to bring in a 2nd rounder so we can take a flyer on a strong goalie. i figure the kid could come along slowly over the next ~5 years. i wonder how much of a priority shanny placing on drafting a new goalie?

I would like to see some strong emphasis on drafting goalies. Why pay Bernier more than he is making now to be a cap issue when we are coming into form in thre or four years. Adequate goaltending is all you could give Bernier and Riemer as a compliment.

Neither are must keep's to my thinking. I'm not into overpaying Bernier.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
In Barrie, seen Blackwood plenty. Would love for the Leafs to grab a 2nd and pick him up, but in all honesty I could see him going earlier than expected (late first, early second).

He's raw but he's got all the things you like in a raw goalie; size, movement etc. Plus he is gaining lots of valuable experience with the Colts. Just finished his second year as the Colts starter and was their best player in the playoffs by a mile.

There we go. That's the kind of info we like. Thanks.

Durkin67

I watched the whole thing and that guy is a great in the making. I wouldn't want a goalie coach anywhere near him. That's was so unorthodox and awesome at the same time. I like him, he frigging battles and is fearless. Lol I was laughing a couple times. We would love that guy in a Leaf crest.

He is ranked 4th for international goalies. Amongst all these huge goalies he is plunked right in the middle. I like that you showed me that video. He quick and reminds me of Marty Brodeur with them sliding out poke checks too. Everyone might want to watch that!

I'm glad someone else appreciated this guy as much as I do. He LOVES playing hockey. And I agree; let him do his thing, don't try to do what Francois Allaire did to Jonas Gustavsson.

He blew me away during that tourney. That 2 man advantage sequence where Canada just peppered him and he battled like a man possessed. He's got all the tools and the spirit you want...someone is going to get lucky by rolling the dice on a 3rd rounder for this one.

leebom76

Apr 19, 2015
Im am Godla "The Goalieeee"

If he's available I take a hard look at Denis Godla. He's a beast He stood on his head for the Slovak team at the WJC and was named the goalie of the tournament winning a bronze medal. for me id take him with the 3rd pick if he's still there.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I'm glad someone else appreciated this guy as much as I do. He LOVES playing hockey. And I agree; let him do his thing, don't try to do what Francois Allaire did to Jonas Gustavsson.

He blew me away during that tourney. That 2 man advantage sequence where Canada just peppered him and he battled like a man possessed. He's got all the tools and the spirit you want...someone is going to get lucky by rolling the dice on a 3rd rounder for this one.

Taking a couple Goalies is likely unexpected by other teams so they could grab Blackwood with a second if we could get one. Getting Two Seconds and scooping this gem you brought to my attention anyways would be depth build personified.

Funny thing I completely missed him at the wjhc's? He has that wow factor to me!

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
I've seen Blackwood 60+ times live, and if the leafs can get him I definitely think he would be a great pick. Very calm in the net, great athleticism, size and reads the play very well. He brought his game to another level in the playoffs this year. Like any young goalie he needs a bit of work but has all the tools to be a great NHL goalie. Pretty good considering he only started playing the position 6 years ago.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I've seen Blackwood 60+ times live, and if the leafs can get him I definitely think he would be a great pick. Very calm in the net, great athleticism, size and reads the play very well. He brought his game to another level in the playoffs this year. Like any young goalie he needs a bit of work but has all the tools to be a great NHL goalie. Pretty good considering he only started playing the position 6 years ago.

I was just posting in the thread about who was our best G.M in 25 years past. I picked Quinn for the success he had but he drafted Tukka Rask towards the end with a first round pick around where our Nashville pick will be.

We would have been a different team these last 10 years with Rask. I think it should be pretty seriously considered by management about taking the best goaltenders they can get this draft. It would be in line with a proper rebuild plan I think. Hell take the two best early. After we get our forward at 4 its a great idea I believe

Last edited:

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
For some reason, i don't like any canadian/us goalie. the position is too volatile, goalie are different animals, their development curve is never linear. If it was up to me, i would adapt the nashville strategy, pick one of the best finnsih goalie prospects, and don't look back.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Taking goalies early...

Is very hard but at least taking one goalie a year with later picks. Getting a 2nd will be hard this draft, it would cost us Bozak or Gardiner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad