Prospect Info: Who are the best Goaltenders this draft?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Would a Goaltender be a possibility with the Nashville pick. I hope this is own thread worthy. Looking forward to your input. Thank you. Its just not talked about much as a possibility and maybe it is being overlooked?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I believe Mackenzie Blackwood is most highly regarded goalie in the draft.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
No idea who is available for Goalies but IMO use a later round pick to grab one. There are too many high end D and F with more chance of hitting their potential available in the 20's.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
There's no ~Vasilevsky calibre goalie prospect in this draft, nobody you'd use a late 1st on (especially given the depth of talent at the other positions).

Id use a 2nd rounder on one though, and would actually like to see that happen (need to acquire a pick first though).

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
There's no ~Vasilevsky calibre goalie prospect in this draft, nobody you'd use a late 1st on (especially given the depth of talent at the other positions).

Id use a 2nd rounder on one though, and would actually like to see that happen (need to acquire a pick first though).

I have only found one scouting service rank a goalie in the first round and that was mc keens. They ranked Samsonov in our range. Yeah that sucks that Nonis had so little regard for second round picks. You are right we do need one. 34 puck overall traded is hard to swallow. I am glad he is gone.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I believe Mackenzie Blackwood is most highly regarded goalie in the draft.

Yep he is by central scouting services as the top north american goaltending prospect. Has anyone watched him play extensively. Any Barrie Colts fans see much of him. Nobody has said much about any goalies to date.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
You can check out NA and Euro goalies for this draft with NHL Central Scouting final rankings.

Goalies are separate from skaters and you can use the tabs at the top.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=761663

Thanks mess, I understand that. Hoping for some local team posters input and some posters with the extensive research to chime in too. Like I said previously, Mc keens is the only service thinking a goalie is first round worth. That was Samsonov. Hopefully we could get a run down from a fan perspective on his play here.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If there's one thing this draft lacks is any top prospect goaltender.

I don't feel like we're in a position to draft a goaltender in the top 100. On the flip side, drafting a goaltender later in the draft seems like you can get just as much value.

Daniel Vladar, 6'5" goaltender from the Czech Republic, would be of interest to me with our 4th or 5th round pick.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
I'm definitely highest on Ilya Samsonov, he would be worth a look at 64 for me. He signed a 3 year deal in the KHL, and that will impact his draft stock. Daniel Vladar is another nice one. Not too high on the NA goalies this year, but would maybe take a shot at someone like Booth or Morrissey in the later rounds.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Off the top of my head, the top three NA goalies are probably Blackwood, Tomek and Booth. The top three European Goalies are probably Samsonov, Vladar and Tretiak. All are worthy of a 2nd/3rd round pick, but some may slip to the top half of the 4th round pick, which is where I think we should get ours.

After that though, there's a relatively sizable drop. Sandstrom, Bednard, Morrissey, etc. are all far inferior goalies with longer shots... They wouldn't be improvements over what we've got most likely. However, a Sandstrom in the later rounds for depth wouldn't be a bad idea. He's really raw, but he's got skills, and could surprise some being a good value pick in the later rounds. He's still a major drop off though.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/draft...ut=&ranking=&nation=&sort=&league=&con=&pos=G

Those are all of the notable prospects.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Do you think they are a possibility with the press pick?

They are both slated to go mid 2nd round from most rankings. I doubt they'll be picked before that.

Samsonov playing in the KHL and I think signed for awhile will impact his draft value.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Jake Morrissey could be a great goaltender to pick in the 5th round or later. Sample size is really small, but his draft stats were 1.98GAA and 0.932 save percentage, 8-1-1 record. He's also the brother of Josh Morrissey. Not worth too much for a goaltender, but he can chuck em as well.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
They are both slated to go mid 2nd round from most rankings. I doubt they'll be picked before that.

Samsonov playing in the KHL and I think signed for awhile will impact his draft value.

It seemed like in the last draft we started looking at more guys outside of the CHL whose rights we'll control for a longer period of time (more NCAA guys, as well as Euro players). With Gibson, Bibeau and Sparks already in the system, the new Guelph signee for the ECHL, I could see the Leafs being fine taking a chance on someone who's committed to another league for a few years, like the KHL. With a mid-round pick you're looking at a project and a long-shot anyway, getting a few free professional-development years could be seen as an asset more than a drawback.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
It seemed like in the last draft we started looking at more guys outside of the CHL whose rights we'll control for a longer period of time (more NCAA guys, as well as Euro players). With Gibson, Bibeau and Sparks already in the system, the new Guelph signee for the ECHL, I could see the Leafs being fine taking a chance on someone who's committed to another league for a few years, like the KHL. With a mid-round pick you're looking at a project and a long-shot anyway, getting a few free professional-development years could be seen as an asset more than a drawback.

Matej Tomek, if we had that 2nd round pick, would be an excellent option. He'll go to North Dakota for 4 years and be ready to come here. However, if we were to get Booth, we'd have 2 or 3 years before he'd come to us. That's plenty of time...

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Felix Sandstrom
Mackenzie Blackwood
Callum Booth
Samuel Montembeault
Daniel Vladar

are the only goalies rated in the top 100

According to whom? Because Montembeault should not be in the top 100, nor should Sandstrom, if Tomek, Tretiak and Samsonov aren't. Some say Tomek will be the first goalie drafted, and he, Blackwood and Samsonov (or Vladar or Tretiak) will likely be the 1st three taken. Montembeault is suppose to go in the Bibeau range, and Sandstrom shouldn't be taken before the 4th round, if the 4th round at all.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Sounds like they didn't want Samsonov to get away on them but interesting in many ways. I am not in possession of any opinions on the pros and cons of having your prospects developed in the KHL. My gut tells me I'm not interested though lol.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
According to whom? Because Montembeault should not be in the top 100, nor should Sandstrom, if Tomek, Tretiak and Samsonov aren't. Some say Tomek will be the first goalie drafted, and he, Blackwood and Samsonov (or Vladar or Tretiak) will likely be the 1st three taken. Montembeault is suppose to go in the Bibeau range, and Sandstrom shouldn't be taken before the 4th round, if the 4th round at all.

I was thinking that is International Scouting Service. Haven't checked it yet though.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm hoping we grab one of the better goalie prospects with our third rounder but people will probably start drafting them in the second round, luckily our 3rd is pretty high. Surely we will acquire another pick between now and then in the first 2 rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad