Line Combos: Which trade makes our lineup better?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
That's kind of how I look at it.
The Subban trade would have destroyed the (quality) depth and how would the cap situation look like in few years?
The core looks great and the contract situation healthy now.

The only potential problem is Lucic and Sekera contracts in 4 years. That's something to worry about then.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
That's an interesting point. But kind of backs my position of having some veterans around. Horcoff was too afairc.

But like I said you can't have 10-12 young developing players in the lineup in the NHL and expect to compete with that lineup. That never happens.

Your basic premise that getting younger isn't the answer is solid.

So, why trade Hall? Well, it's all about McD. He wasn't the last piece to rebuild 1.0. He is rebuild 2.0. He is that special that he actually buys them a couple years.

A forward core of McD, Drai, Pulj is looking pretty darn good. Better,with Hall, but how do you get the D.

I guess comes down to what's better?

1. Drai, Klefbom, Pulj, Larsson. Or
2. Subban and Hall.

We keep going round and round. There is merit in both options. But there is only one reality.

I'm comfortable going forward with McD, Drai, Pulj, Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Sekera, Davidson, Talbot, Lucic, RNH, Ebs.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The only potential problem is Lucic and Sekera contracts in 4 years. That's something to worry about then.

Yep, that gives breathing space, plenty of time to get ready.

With Subban trade Sekera-Subban top pairing would have had a 14.5M cap hit, while the bottom4 would have needed a lot of work to make it a contending level.
Bottom6 with Subban trade would have needed a lot of work, pretty much a new 3rd line and McDavid re-signing is waiting in 2 years.
That just seems like creating a huge cap problem into near future.

With Larsson trade the forward group has the players to become a contender in 1-2 years with (potential) forward core players being between 18-28y, potential to build a longterm contender.
Lucic-McDavid
RNH-Eberle/Pulju
Dra- Pulju/Eberle
looks scary
and Klefbom, Larsson signed at a bit over 8M longterm compined, both just 23y, great fit age wise with the forward core and good core to build around a longterm plan, then Sekera at 5.5M signed longterm, defense needs 1 player to make it a contender.

So to me the lineup looks better balanced, instead of having ton of work to do in both groups Chia can focus on defense alone while Klefbom&Larsson give him a better situation to work on improving it.

Every successfull team needs steal contracts in their lineup, quality ELC players providing value, Subban trade would have taken those away.

I may be completely wrong but this is how I see it right now. I was going by Dra, Pulju, Klef for Subban.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
1) Hall trade

Lucic Mcd Yak
Maroon RNH Eberle
Poo Drai pulju
Hend letestu kassian
Pak Khaira

Klefbom larsson
Sekera fayne
Nurse davidson
Reinhart osterle

Vs

2) Subban trade

Maroon Mcd yak
Hall RNH Eberle
Poo letestu kassian
Khaira hendi pak
?

Sekera Subban
Davidson Fayne
Nurse reinhart
Osterle

Feel free to move players within the lineup.
If we keep hall, I don't think we sign Lucic.
But keep in mind moving out Draisaitl & Pulju would give us some cap space to maybe add another 4-5mill? player.

you do not have the Subgan deal right--Nuge was going to montreal as well

reported ask from Monttreal was nuge, either nurse or klefbom, Leon D, number 4 and another asset

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

reported ask from Monttreal was nuge, either nurse or klefbom, Leon D, number 4 and another asset

They wanted both Nuge and Drai? Well, that's basically saying we're not interested in doing business with you.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013

Mind if I ask for the source on this / is there an article on this? I've heard this too but I've never been able to solidly source it with a link

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad