Line Combos: Which trade makes our lineup better?

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
1) Hall trade

Lucic Mcd Yak
Maroon RNH Eberle
Poo Drai pulju
Hend letestu kassian
Pak Khaira

Klefbom larsson
Sekera fayne
Nurse davidson
Reinhart osterle

Vs

2) Subban trade

Maroon Mcd yak
Hall RNH Eberle
Poo letestu kassian
Khaira hendi pak
?

Sekera Subban
Davidson Fayne
Nurse reinhart
Osterle

Feel free to move players within the lineup.
If we keep hall, I don't think we sign Lucic.
But keep in mind moving out Draisaitl & Pulju would give us some cap space to maybe add another 4-5mill? player.

Last edited:

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Defence looks better no doubt with the Subban trade, but having Draisaitl and Pulju are the x-factors for me (currently and longterm). I'd go with lineup 1

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
i voted for subban.....even though i agree larsson is a much easier deal to work with now and in the future.

but subban is subban.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Bottom line up has a terrible bottom 6 and a bottom pairing that should be in the AHL, as well as a second pairing that would barely be good enough to be a third pairing on a good team. Don't think it gives us that much cap space either.

I'll take the top team every day of the week.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Since PKs defense is questionable at best and his contract at least 2 mill higher than it should be i think the hall trade is way way better.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I follow the Oilers (after the Habs)...curious about the lineup this year...? What do you all think it will look like? (there is no ''lineup/line combos' thread here?).

Will Puljujarvi make the top 6 (or top 9) or play one more European League (or junior) year?

Excited for your Oilers...really liked the Oilers when they had Guerin, Anson Carter, Comrie, Pronger (CUP Finals), Cujo,etc.
With McDavid, Eberle and Nurse (and Larsson and Puljujarvi and...Draisaitl and...) the Oilers are going to be more and more exciting to watch.

Lucic---McDavid-----Eberle/Puljujarvi
Pouliot---RNH----Puljujarvi/Eberle
Maroon---Draisaitl---Yakupov
Hendricks---Letestu---Kassian

Sekera----Larsson
Nurse---Fayne
Reinhart---Klefbom

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I follow the Oilers (after the Habs)...curious about the lineup this year...? What do you all think it will look like? (there is no ''lineup/line combos' thread here?).

Will Puljujarvi make the top 6 (or top 9) or play one more European League (or junior) year?

Excited for your Oilers...really liked the Oilers when they had Guerin, Anson Carter, Comrie, Pronger (CUP Finals), Cujo,etc.
With McDavid, Eberle and Nurse (and Larsson and Puljujarvi and...Draisaitl and...) the Oilers are going to be more and more exciting to watch.

Lucic---McDavid-----Eberle/Puljujarvi
Pouliot---RNH----Puljujarvi/Eberle
Maroon---Draisaitl---Yakupov
Hendricks---Letestu---Kassian

Sekera----Larsson
Nurse---Fayne
Reinhart---Klefbom

Here's the line combos thread
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2099919&page=9

As for the lineup my guess is something like this:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Puljujarvi
Maroon-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian
Pakarinen

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Fayne
Nurse-Davidson
Oesterle

Talbot
Gustavsson

A lot of the wingers could be in different spots than I listed, Oesterle, Nurse and Reinhart are likely the ones battling for the last D spots with likely only one of Nurse and Reinhart making it depending on who looks better in camp. Some potential players who could push to make the team out of camp in a 3rd/4th line role are Caggiula, Khaira, Pitlick, and Slepyshev (maybe Yakimov as well, but I kind of doubt it at this point). Brossoit could take the backup spot over Gustavsson, but he'll have to come into camp looking very very good after how poor he was to end last season.

Should be a lot of competition for the bottom 6 and 3rd D pairing in camp as there's a lot of young guys on the verge of being NHL ready that will be looking to prove it.

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
If the 4th was tkachuck/Dubois, id think hard about that subban lineup. With puljujarvi falling to us, the hall trade is superior, no question about it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Would be interesting to see age ranges in some of these polls. I have a feeling an older crowd is less patient with the perennial rebuild while younger posters that just latched on more recently haven't felt the brunt of this team being mostly bad for a Quarter Century.

Not trading for a bonafide #1 D, and keeping the prospects, just means a longer time before this club is ever competitive. Subban would have been the quicker fix, and then we Still have Hall. Bonus bonus. As much as I like Drai at this point I don't care about losing him Pulju and an RHN who is underperforming anyway.

GRadio

Energy Line
Aug 16, 2014
Edmonton
You'd rather have hall and subban at 9 m over Drai, Puljujarvi, and rnh? Not to mention Lucic and Larsson?

That's crazy talk.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You'd rather have hall and subban at 9 m over Drai, Puljujarvi, and rnh? Not to mention Lucic and Larsson?

That's crazy talk.

Abolutely I'd rather Have Hall and Lucic, with probably Demers, than Drai, Puljujarvi, who are years away from helping the club appreciably, and RNH who isn't on top of his game anyway.

My biggest concern in that is losing Drai if there was a way to lose somebody like Pouliot instead of Drai I would do that. I would consider losing Nuges 6M contract as a blessing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Abolutely I'd rather Have Hall and Lucic, with probably Demers, than Drai, Puljujarvi, who are years away from helping the club appreciably, and RNH who isn't on top of his game anyway.

My biggest concern in that is losing Drai if there was a way to lose somebody like Pouliot instead of Drai I would do that. I would consider losing Nuges 6M contract as a blessing.

Lucic probably doesn't sign here if Hall is still here because Chia probably wouldn't meet his terms with Hall on board and Demers at $5M+/yr would have been gross. No thanks on that one.

Drai is years away from helping the club appreciably? I guess you don't think too highly of him which is odd because I remember you were his biggest booster last season. I bet that Pujujarvi is a productive top 6 player by '17-'18 at the absolute latest, this isn't some run of the mill #4 pick that we're talking about. He'd be battling for #1 in some recent draft years.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Lucic probably doesn't sign here if Hall is still here because Chia probably wouldn't meet his terms with Hall on board and Demers at $5M+/yr would have been gross. No thanks on that one.

Drai is years away from helping the club appreciably? I guess you don't think too highly of him which is odd because I remember you were his biggest booster last season. I bet that Pujujarvi is a productive top 6 player by '17-'18 at the absolute latest, this isn't some run of the mill #4 pick that we're talking about. He'd be battling for #1 in some recent draft years.

Drai, and this hasn't been mentioned as much struggled before Hall, and after Hall went cold in last 30 games last season. It was clear Hall wasn't going at the time and less clear how Drai was doing in that period. Became more evident that without brilliant Hall feeds Drai wasn't scoring, although Drai's passing game remained intact. But the scoring hands more than anything worry me. if Drai doesn't score, and is seen as a pass only guy then teams will learn to shut that down.

Pulju? No idea, but we need help NOW not in the future. The last thing we need imo is more developing players on a team loaded with them. Nothing specific against the player, I just think our window should be ramped up/not back, so as to not lose McDavids interest here.

Its all for McDavid that I would want the team to be competitive as soon as this season and not wait until subsequent seasons. There is on paper no way this team makes the playoffs and that's going to weigh on the highly competitive McDavid who by seasons end was showing more frustration in games than Hall typically does.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The poll is unfair. It assumes nothing further could have happened after a potential subban trade while knowing what happens with the Hal trade.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
The poll is unfair. It assumes nothing further could have happened after a potential subban trade while knowing what happens with the Hal trade.

It also fudges the rosters to make the other line up look even worse.

Let's say:

Lineup 1
Lucic Mcd Yak
Maroon RNH Eberle
Poo Drai pulju
Hend letestu kassian

Klefbom larsson
Sekera fayne
Nurse davidson
Reinhart osterle

Vs

Lineup 2

Lucic-Mcd-Eberle
Hall-RNH-Pouliot
Maroon-Letestu-Pakarinen
Hendricks-Lander-Kassian

Sekera-Subban
Davidson-Fayne
Nurse-Reinhart
Osterle

Depth is worse for lineup 2, top end is much better. Only ~$4M in cap space for roster 2.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Where's Looch with the Subban scenario? I thought we were all arguing that we could have gotten him whether or not we traded Hall?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Its why I didn't even vote. I suspect a lot of us didn't bother to vote due to the poll.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Here's the line combos thread
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2099919&page=9

As for the lineup my guess is something like this:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Puljujarvi
Maroon-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian
Pakarinen

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Fayne
Nurse-Davidson
Oesterle

Talbot
Gustavsson

A lot of the wingers could be in different spots than I listed, Oesterle, Nurse and Reinhart are likely the ones battling for the last D spots with likely only one of Nurse and Reinhart making it depending on who looks better in camp. Some potential players who could push to make the team out of camp in a 3rd/4th line role are Caggiula, Khaira, Pitlick, and Slepyshev (maybe Yakimov as well, but I kind of doubt it at this point). Brossoit could take the backup spot over Gustavsson, but he'll have to come into camp looking very very good after how poor he was to end last season.

Should be a lot of competition for the bottom 6 and 3rd D pairing in camp as there's a lot of young guys on the verge of being NHL ready that will be looking to prove it.

Thanks/cheers for the great info and LINEUP thread:nod:.

Go Oilers Go!! (really hope you guys make the playoffs and also...go far).

Reinhart? Still 1 year away from the #5-6 spots?

To answer the thread question:
My favorite dmen are Doughty, Keith and PK Subban (and B.Burns sometimes!), so...I would have loved to see PK Subban with your Oilers (if not with the Habs... ; imo, he'd be a great fit with your Oilers, but he's not cheap). But, the Oilers are still going to be fun to watch with the additions of Larsson/Lucic/Puljujarvi (but no more Hall, but...also no more of Hall's $8mil/year). Subban is expensive at $9mil/year, but...you won't think about that in playoffs. Still...a Subban in playoffs is something to see (McDavid and PK Subban with the Oilers...in playoffs:amazed:). But...looking forward to seeing what Larsson/Lucic/Puljujarvi can do for the Oilers. Should be an exciting season (McDavid, Eberle, Larsson, Puljujarvi, Lucic, Draisaitl, Nurse...).

I'm more excited for your Oilers vs my Habs this season!
(bummed out about PK Subban...gone, and still bummed out about McDonagh...gone ; both were major playoff dmen...something every team needs to go far in playoffs).

Go Oilers Go!! (hoping for playoffs and to also go far).

p.s.: I'm not a Lucic fan (he's the worst sore loser in the NHL and is extremely dirty/vicious, but...he could be super for McDavid and the Oilers...as a PF and protector...n o one should mess around with McDavid IF Lucic is on his line, ex: Gretzky's Semenko! and maybe Puljujarvi will be like Kurri...Gretzky to Kurri for a top corner beauty!! McDavid to Puljujarvi for a top corner beauty! Just like the good 'ol 1980s Oilers!!).

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Given what Subban was eventually dealt for it's extremely doubtful that a trade with MTL was ever even remotely an option.

It's what happens when you have a bunch of trash on your team. :dunno: Can't spin **** into gold.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Its why I didn't even vote. I suspect a lot of us didn't bother to vote due to the poll.

So what you're saying is you're going to ignore the results of this poll because it doesn't suit your argument. This and your "age range" argument in this thread are beneath you, Replacement.

Most people believe that Lucic wouldn't be signed here if Hall wasn't moved.

And Spawn - things still might happen this off-season, but you are correct: there is no way to ever evaluate a past decision based on not knowing what might have happened in that alternate reality. So if that's your view of this scenario, you shouldn't be arguing any past choices as it would be impossible in those scenarios to be able to tell what would happen subsequently. In some cases you can be fairly certain - like many are with Lucic in this one. But you can never be 100% certain, so according to your argument in this thread, discussions about two divergent scenarios where one happens shouldn't get discussed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad