Which three defensemen should we protect?

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
In case you were wondering what was going on with the poll and the thread, I had to create this thread three times before I got the poll right. :laugh:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Suter, Spurgeon and Brodin.

Dumba's 10 extra point's (actually 1 less 5v5 point than Brodin) doesn't move the needle enough for me to get rid of Brodin's D game.

If he can continue to put up 25 points points he's basically Hjalmmarson. You don't give that up with what we've seen so far from Dumba

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I'm split between Dumba and Brodin. I'd hate to lose Dumba because of his potential on offense, but I think I would protect Brodin. 300+ games of NHL experience at only 23 years old is awesome. At that age you'd think he still has more room to get better.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think this year is pretty indicative of what we can expect from Brodin, which as ThatGuy22 pointed out is a Hjalmarsson-esque defenseman. Which is great.

But Dumba's younger, cheaper and has shown enticing year-over-year improvement in his offensive production. His defense is still spotty, but it's improved and it's not worrisome enough that he's in danger of losing top4 minutes. Plus he's a righty, which we have very little of. There are plenty of lefties behind Brodin.

The fact that we're losing either of them to expansion is ridiculous, but between the two Dumba seems to meet more needs than Brodin does.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I think this year is pretty indicative of what we can expect from Brodin, which as ThatGuy22 pointed out is a Hjalmarsson-esque defenseman. Which is great.

But Dumba's younger, cheaper and has shown enticing year-over-year improvement in his offensive production. His defense is still spotty, but it's improved and it's not worrisome enough that he's in danger of losing top4 minutes. Plus he's a righty, which we have very little of. There are plenty of lefties behind Brodin.

The fact that we're losing either of them to expansion is ridiculous, but between the two Dumba seems to meet more needs than Brodin does.

He's only a year younger, and will likely only be Cheaper for a year. Points get you paid in the NHL, especially at D. Doesn't even matter if you are any good at playing D (see Tyson Barrie).

With his previous Bridge deal, Dumba's agents are probably going to be looking for more than Brodin makes now. I'd rather just keep the D that can play D and has been in the top 10 in Scoring Chances against 3 out of the last 4 year.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He's only a year younger, and will likely only be Cheaper for a year. Points get you paid in the NHL, especially at D. Doesn't even matter if you are any good at playing D (see Tyson Barrie).

With his previous Bridge deal, Dumba's agents are probably going to be looking for more than Brodin makes now. I'd rather just keep the D that can play D and has been in the top 10 in Scoring Chances against 3 out of the last 4 year.

Fair point and there is some danger there. I think we'll have more and better options to free up cap room by next offseason, so the extension doesn't worry me too much. If he wants more than Spurgeon it could be a problem.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Unpopular here on the boards, but my thoughts.

Suter, Brodin, Dumba. Trade Spurgeon (highest cap hit, and best return), leave Scandella as an option for Vegas.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Different day, same answer: Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin.

Not sure why people keep thinking they see Karlsson-lite or the next Burns in Dumba. Our defense gets noticeably worse (both visually and statistically) when Brodin is out. Plus, I value a defense-first mindset.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Our best three are Suter, Spurgeon and Brodin, but our most necessary to keep are Suter, Spurgeon and Dumba, unless we find another RHD to play where Dumba is, because we have no replacement for him in the system, so that's how I voted.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Different day, same answer: Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin.

Not sure why people keep thinking they see Karlsson-lite or the next Burns in Dumba. Our defense gets noticeably worse (both visually and statistically) when Brodin is out. Plus, I value a defense-first mindset.
Dumba is nothing like Karlsson or Burns.

He is a bigger, tougher Zidlicky.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Well Zidlicky didn't play an NHL game until he was 26 - Dumba already has over 200 games played and turns 23 this summer. Zidlicky was a useful player in his career, but that's not a real useful comp.

I believe they should explore trading Spurgeon, Dumba and Brodin to take the pressure off this decision (plus get a pick, prospect and player). The right return allows Olofsson to take middle-pairing minutes, and Reilly, Folin and Prosser to be re-signed for depth. Losing Scandella isn't optimal either but you can't lose Spurgeon, Brodin, Zucker or Dumba for nothing.

Anyhow between his RFA status, his scoring ability, his improvements on defense, his greater ice-time share this season as the staff grew in confidence toward him, and his more physical game, there's no question in my mind Dumba will be protected [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
I know most will disagree but,I would expose or trade Spurgeon.
Why?
Because;

A)Vegas may be reluctant to take Spurgeon due to his size and salary.

B)Salary cap.If Vegas takes Spurgeon it frees up a little over $5 million in cap space.IMO the Wild really need to create more cap space somehow.

C)The value of Dumba and Brodin is more than just their current skill,you need to take into consideration their age,potential and salary hit.

The defense would obviously be worse without Spurgeon and players like Scandella,Dumba,Reilly and Olofsson,awould need to step up.

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm open to trading just about anyone under the right circumstances, but losing Spurgeon for nothing in the expansion draft legitimately seems like one of the worst things we could possibly do. Even in a trade the return would have to be more than I can see any team realistically offering for him.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Suter, Spurgeon and Brodin. I think management likes the flexibility provided by a defensively responsible third top-pairing D that can play either side. Brodin was all over the place at the end of the season/playoffs, and I don't think it was as motivational punishment.

I don't need to justify the other two guys, right? Without Suter I assume the Xcel Energy Center's lawn would become overgrown and without Spurgeon everyone would get continual mumps from drinking out of a giant communal trough.

I do hope a way is found to keep both Dumba and Brodin. And Scandella, if we're just asking for whatever. But I mean if I'm staying close to within reason, Dumba and Brodin will be getting tear- and product-stained postcards from Vegas.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I'd go

Suter
Brodin
Dumba

Spurgeon is better by far than Dumba and Brodin right now. Spurgy has the most potential to end his career early or miss significant time each year.

Never played a full season, concussion history. A guaranteed healthy Spurgeon id take him for sure. i doubt he ever has a healthy season.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Well Zidlicky didn't play an NHL game until he was 26 - Dumba already has over 200 games played and turns 23 this summer. Zidlicky was a useful player in his career, but that's not a real useful comp.

I believe they should explore trading Spurgeon, Dumba and Brodin to take the pressure off this decision (plus get a pick, prospect and player). The right return allows Olofsson to take middle-pairing minutes, and Reilly, Folin and Prosser to be re-signed for depth. Losing Scandella isn't optimal either but you can't lose Spurgeon, Brodin, Zucker or Dumba for nothing.

Anyhow between his RFA status, his scoring ability, his improvements on defense, his greater ice-time share this season as the staff grew in confidence toward him, and his more physical game, there's no question in my mind Dumba will be protected [mod]

The fact of the matter is that people feel safer with Brodin because he makes less mistakes, and in the NHL scoring is usually the result of mistakes.

The reason I like Dumba is because he's a RHD and because he is good at forcing the opposition into making mistakes with his skills, which I think more than makes up for his own occasional mistakes. I also like his personality, but that has nothing to do with hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Unpopular here on the boards, but my thoughts.

Suter, Brodin, Dumba. Trade Spurgeon (highest cap hit, and best return), leave Scandella as an option for Vegas.

I don't hate this thought, but we'd have to get a VERY good player in exchange for Spurgeon. He exhibits rock starish qualities back there on D, and is hell on opening water bottles.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
The fact of the matter is that people feel safer with Brodin because he makes less mistakes, and in the NHL scoring is usually the result of mistakes.

The reason I like Dumba is because he's a RHD and because he is good at forcing the opposition into making mistakes with his skills, which I think more than makes up for his own occasional mistakes. I also like his personality, but that has nothing to do with hockey.

That's what would have me really bumming if we end up losing Dumba. He has such a great personality, in a sport that's sometimes devoid of charisma.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd go

Suter
Brodin
Dumba

Spurgeon is better by far than Dumba and Brodin right now. Spurgy has the most potential to end his career early or miss significant time each year.

Never played a full season, concussion history. A guaranteed healthy Spurgeon id take him for sure. i doubt he ever has a healthy season.

You ever looked at Brodin's games missed?

Folin doesn't have a vote yet...Nick Schultz Fan hasn't cast his vote.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
If nothing changes protect the 3 best players in Suter, Spurgeon and Brodin. Olofsson convinced me he's a viable replacement this year though so for the right deal I say move Brodin or Brodin package for a young, draft exempt, top 6 forward then protect Dumba in his spot. Just don't know who they would actually be able to get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad