Which team has worst salary cap situation?

Which team has worst salary cap situation?

• Total voters

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
If they can't its because HIS demands were too big.
A straight out "can't" reeks of hate.

You can't really blame him for having big demands when, in the last 6 months, Dubas caved to Nylander and then gave Matthews a ridiculous contract.

FWIW, I don't fault him for the Matthew's contract. You pretty much have to give your franchise player what they want.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
How is this not Edmonton unanimously.

Every team listed is pressed up against the cap because they're contenders.
Edmonton is pressed up against the cap, while being closer to the lottery.
Who do you think Oiler fans are voting for?

I picked the Oilers. People want to say the Leafs but the fact is we could throw Nylander away and would still be a top team. It can only be so bad for us while we have our 3 Cs and Marner.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Who do you think Oiler fans are voting for?

I picked the Oilers. People want to say the Leafs but the fact is we could throw Nylander away and would still be a top team. It can only be so bad for us while we have our 3 Cs and Marner.
I'm an Oiler fan and picked the Oilers.

Have 2x top 5 scorers up against the cap and STILL in the basement?

That's literally cap hell. We're built like a team that won 3 cups and had to overpay and dismantle key pieces.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
EDM easily.

They have missed the playoffs 2 years in a row and have 0 room to improve without a buy out / trading core pieces. I mean their paying Koskinen $500,000 less than the Leafs pay Andersen.......

Outside of Marner Toronto has its core signed, at fairly reasonable deals too (Matthews should have got more term but whatre you gonna do)

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Of course it does to you, anyone with a dissenting opinion about the Leafs reeks of pure hate, no matter how valid the point is.
Obviously the Leafs can afford to sign Marner. If people think they are going to choose to keep other players over finding room to fit in Marner they are out to lunch.

The Leafs situation is simple. Connor Brown is gone. Option A=move Marleau, Option B=move Zaitsev, Option C=move one of Johnsson/Kapanen/Kadri.

After this season you have all your best players signed plus around $7-8 million in cap space to upgrade. Leafs cap situation is pretty good if you ask me.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Obviously the Leafs can afford to sign Marner. If people think they are going to choose to keep other players over finding room to fit in Marner they are out to lunch.

The Leafs situation is simple. Connor Brown is gone. Option A=move Marleau, Option B=move Zaitsev, Option C=move one of Johnsson/Kapanen/Kadri.

After this season you have all your best players signed plus around $7-8 million in cap space to upgrade. Leafs cap situation is pretty good if you ask me.

Your options depend on teams willing to actually take Marleau or Zaitsev. The only one of your options that would entice another team are your Option C players.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Your options depend on teams willing to actually take Marleau or Zaitsev. The only one of your options that would entice another team are your Option C players.
They will certainly try options A and B first. They aren’t a guarantee but they might be able to do something. Option C is not that bad at all as they will get something of value for any of those players and can easily replace them and more 1 year later.

Bottom line is the Leafs roster next year minus Johnsson (worst case to get cap compliant) and then the following year with $8 million in cap space is much better than the other options listed.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Interesting response. I am going to run the same poll after draft and July 1st signings. Will be interesting to see how it changes.

Carnal

May 29, 2018
Edmonton. At least the other teams here have "cap issues" because they are loaded with talent.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

How about this. There will be a way.
It may not be them who leave, that simply the best case scenario.
It could be others, could be something else entirely.

"Can't" doesn't exist.
When someone says this, I can see the bias.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Um........LOL @ people saying the Leafs will be in "cap hell". Zaitsev has now requested a trade! The Leafs won't get much of anything for him, but would clear some cap space. Trade Zaitsev for a 6th round pick, and Brown for a 5th rounder, and suddenly there's enough room for Marner's, Kapanen's and Johnsson's contracts.

And YES, there are teams out there needing to fill cap space, and add RHD's and players like Brown. Easily.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Oilers. Overpaying good players is better than overpaying bad players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad