Which team has worst salary cap situation?

Which team has worst salary cap situation?

• Total voters

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Guess the Red Wings era of owning this distinction is over this summer. Vegas and Toronto will likely have to sacrifice a good player to fit under the cap. Tampa probably won't. Pittsburgh and Edmonton won't. I went with Vegas as - unlike the others - they are currently definitely over the cap and still have Karlsson and Gusev to sign. Obviously it's a good problem to have, unlike Edmonton's cap problems.

Bobby Terrance

Jul 21, 2018
Anyways, it's like saying golden state has cap problems. Ya the leafs obviously haven't won anything yet, but it sure feels better to worry about keeping good players as opposed to ditching dead weight.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Vegas have no cap room at all (as in $0) and William Karlsson is without a contract. They also need 3 additional contracts on top of that. Even if they manage to unload Clarkson's contract somewhere else it won't be enough.

New GM was left with a shitty situation.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Do Toronto and Tampa even have any bad contracts? Maybe Callahan and Marleau - but they're not even that bad. I don't think either of those teams is in a bad cap situation - they're just overflowing with talent. That's a great thing - not a bad thing.

I voted Edmonton

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Toronto’s cap situation is way overblown. Will be very happy to see Gardiner leave. Marner is going to sign something like 8 years, 9.5 mill. Dubas will figure out the rest it won’t be too difficult. Then after this year they will have room to sign a good UFA.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Nobody should vote for anybody but Edmonton tbh.

Having cap issues and being bad > having cap issues because you have a lot of good players.

Toronto’s cap situation is way overblown. Will be very happy to see Gardiner leave. Marner is going to sign something like 8 years, 9.5 mill. Dubas will figure out the rest it won’t be too difficult. Then after this year they will have room to sign a good UFA.

It's both overblown and...not overblown. Overblown because it's realistically probably only a one year issue. Once Marleau is gone there's a lot more breathing room. It's NOT overblown because they still have to navigate this season and get some good players signed and make it work.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
How is this not Edmonton unanimously.

Every team listed is pressed up against the cap because they're contenders.
Edmonton is pressed up against the cap, while being closer to the lottery.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Tampa Bay has the absolute best salary cap situation in the entire league. It's not even close. The amount of talent they have signed - majority of which are to cap-friendly deals (relatively speaking) is crazy. I don't get why they have 14 votes lol.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
OP is a little deceiving...

Vegas has no cap space and needs to sign a backup goalie;

Pitt has 3.2 mil in cap space and needs to sign 3 forwards but no major/irreplaceable talent turning UFA;

Tampa has 8.5 mil in cap space and needs to Point + 1 forward and 1 defenseman. Possible but extremely tight.

Toronto has 8.8 mil in cap space and needs to sign Marner + 1 forward and 1-2 defensemen. Will likely have to let Gardner walk and trade assets.

Edmonton has 10.8 mil and needs a brain transplant 4 forwards and a goalie. Even with the bad contracts they wouldn't be a part of this discussion without the incompetent management.

Reactions: Favin

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I voted toronto due to the marner situation which will make signing players hard but I think Vegas is really being overlooked. They really don't have cap space at all and need to re-sign a couple of key players. I get that Edmonton is not in great shape but we do have our top players signed which I think is important.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Edmonton.

They are the only team that has massive salary cap issues and yet have a bad team to boot. Other teams have issues because they are stacked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad