Which Team Has the Brighter Future, EDM or BUF?

Which Team Has the Brighter Future, EDM or BUF?

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
To me it's the same.

The biggest difference might be the ability to attract free agents where geography is working against the Oilers.

Also for the Oilers alot hings on Jesse Puljujarvi.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Connor McDavid.

Dahlin is great but Buffalo just seems like one of those teams who over inflates everything they have. Trading RoR and expecting Mittelstatd to be a 2c already, how they banked on Risto to be a superstar D and was shocked he wasn't, addressed offense be getting Skinner but bit making and budget bottom moves to address depth etc.

I have no faith in Buffalo to recognize their roster needs nor their scouring staff nor their talent acquisition ability.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Connor McDavid.

Dahlin is great but Buffalo just seems like one of those teams who over inflates everything they have. Trading RoR and expecting Mittelstatd to be a 2c already, how they banked on Risto to be a superstar D and was shocked he wasn't, addressed offense be getting Skinner but bit making and budget bottom moves to address depth etc.

I have no faith in Buffalo to recognize their roster needs nor their scouring staff nor their talent acquisition ability.

Ya that ROR trade was really bad.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
If we’re looking at current core pieces and prospects, I think the Oil take it by a whisker. I’d rank the pieces as such:

1. McDavid (by a fair margin)
2. Dahlin
3. (tie) Eichel/Drai
5. (tie) Nuge/Reinhart
7. (tie) Risto/Nurse
9. (tie) Klefbom/Montour
11. Bouchard
12. Middlestadt
13. A. Larsson
14. Rodrigues
15. Samorukov
16. (tie) Pulju/Nylander
18. Luukkonen
19. Thompson
20. Benson

I’m sure I forgot someone or didn’t rate a certain prospect high enough, but I think it’s a reasonable take.

The Sabres are in a much better cap situation, so a good off-season could certainly change the story, but I think they also need bigger pieces compared to the Oil needing complimentary pieces.

Both are close.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Offence:

Eichel <<<<< McDavid
Reinhart <<< Draisaitl
Middlestadt <<<< Nuge

Defence:

Dahlin >>>> Klefbom
Montour < Nurse
Risto < Larsson

Considering that the Oilers have the far better offensive core (including the best player in the league), and a better prospect pool including Bouchard, Samorukov, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, and Benson, I would have to take the Oilers.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
If we’re looking at current core pieces and prospects, I think the Oil take it by a whisker. I’d rank the pieces as such:

2. Dahlin
3. (tie) Eichel/Drai
5. (tie) Nuge/Reinhart
7. (tie) Risto/Nurse
9. (tie) Klefbom/Montour
11. Bouchard
12. Middlestadt
13. A. Larsson
14. Rodrigues
15. Samorukov
16. (tie) Pulju/Nylander
18. Luukkonen
19. Thompson
20. Benson

I’m sure I forgot someone or didn’t rate a certain prospect high enough, but I think it’s a reasonable take.

The Sabres are in a much better cap situation, so a good off-season could certainly change the story, but I think they also need bigger pieces compared to the Oil needing complimentary pieces.

Both are close.

You're missing Yamamoto, and I might change a couple rankings, but overall that looks solid. I agree, the Oilers by a little bit.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, Oilers have the 2 best players. And I think with the new GM, there's some hope.

Reactions: MC2D

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Oilers cap situation makes me lean towards the Sabres. Both have pretty glaring issues and I feel like the Sabres are in a better position to actually address them. They do have a tough division to break through though with Tampa,Boston and Toronto not going anywhere soon and Florida looking to make moves.

Reactions: SabresEichel

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

2. Dahlin
3. (tie) Eichel/Drai
5. (tie) Nuge/Reinhart
7. (tie) Risto/Nurse
9. (tie) Klefbom/Montour
11. Bouchard
12. Middlestadt
13. A. Larsson
14. Rodrigues
15. Samorukov
16. (tie) Pulju/Nylander
18. Luukkonen
19. Thompson
20. Benson

Both are close.

RNH and Reinhart are absolutely not equals.

Nor are Draisaitl and Eichel, though that opinion is substantially more defensible.
You also completely skipped over Victor Olofsson, who is going to score a bunch of goals for Buffalo.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
this year we have ten million off the books. Moulson Pominvile
after next year buffalo has 18.5 million of deadweight coming off the books
Bogo
Scandella
Hunwick
Sobotka
Sheary

our cap situation is way better. we have better prospects. better coach. only thing you have is Mcdank and Drai that's it.

Dahlin
eichel
reinhart
skinner
Mitts
risto
montour
nylander
oloffson

Sabres gonna surprise a lot of people next year (Like that's never been said before, but i mean it this time

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
RNH and Reinhart are absolutely not equals.

Nor are Draisaitl and Eichel, though that opinion is substantially more defensible.
You also completely skipped over Victor Olofsson, who is going to score a bunch of goals for Buffalo.

To quote Dennis Reynold’s from IT’S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA, “what am I looking at, a page from a colouring book?”

Seriously, these advanced stats graphs mean nothing. We had a poster (Oilerbear) who would find these graphs and advanced stats that could be manipulated to make Martin Marincin look better than Victor Hedman.

Let’s just look at the body of work in terms of production and usage. Nuge was hovering around ppg in the first 20-25 games when he was 1LW with Connor, then held around a 60pt season production rate as a 2C with a revolving door of flunkies as wingers. Reinhart produced at a similar rate as a 1RW playing almost the entire year with Eichel and Skinner.

Nuge is currently slightly better in terms of on ice production, Reinhart is younger and has better contract status. In my world that’s equal. But if you think he’s 3 half-eaten blue KitKat bars better than Nuge, I’ll simply have to trust you.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, I like BUF's cap situation better. Moulson, and to a far lesser extent, Pominville, were their Lucic contracts, and they are done. Bogo has one more year at 6M, which is ugly, but short. Would have that situation over what the Oil has. BUF has the cap room to sign Skinner, while EDM has to hope that a prospect gets it together. Risto and Nurse are a wash. Mittelstadt and Pulju, also, though I think Mittelstadt is a tad better. Goalies on both sides are a question mark.

Overall, I've got to go with BUF. Penciling in a guy (Bouchard)to the lineup when he has never shown anything is overly optimistic, much as saying Olofsson or Nylander will be top 6'ers.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

2. Dahlin
3. (tie) Eichel/Drai
5. (tie) Nuge/Reinhart
7. (tie) Risto/Nurse
9. (tie) Klefbom/Montour
11. Bouchard
12. Middlestadt
13. A. Larsson
14. Rodrigues
15. Samorukov
16. (tie) Pulju/Nylander
18. Luukkonen
19. Thompson
20. Benson

Both are close.

I would go with Buffalo by a hair, mainly because of their cap situation (easier for them to surround the kids with quality vets/depth), the fact they have the better picks this year (#7 vs 8, #29-31 vs 39) and the superior prospects (Luukonen is an awesome prospect that I would certainly take over Pulju and Mittelstadt a superior young player to Bouchard IMO).

They also have a very young GM/coach/player that will only get better with time. ;)

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I would go with Buffalo by a hair, mainly because of their cap situation (easier for Botteril to surround the kids with quality vets/depth), the fact they have the better picks this year (#7 vs 8, #29-31 vs 39) and the superior prospects (Luukonen is an awesome prospect and Mittelstadt a superior young player to Bouchard IMO).

Not here to split hairs, but I have legit issues with your take on Bouchard vs those 2. 21pts in 11 playoff games in the OHL, then 8pts in 8 playoff games in the AHL in his D+1 season? The kid just flat out produces.

As for the cap situation, can’t disagree Buffalo has a significant advantage, but also has bigger holes to fill. If you look at existing roster...

1C: McDavid>>>Eichel
1RW: Drai>>>Reinhart
2C: Nuge>>>Middlestadt

1LD:Dahlin>>>Klefbom
1RD: Risto>=Larsson
2LD:Nurse>>>Scandella
2RD: Montour>>>Russell

Even if the Sabres re-sign Skinner, Drai and Connor out scored that entire line (Drai+Connor 91G, 221pts; Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart 90G, 210pts). I’m not sure people grasp just what a difference in talent there is. If Holland does his job and lands a decent 1st line LW (has a history with Nyquist), we could see a bigger boost to Connor and Drai’s numbers (they had Chiasson and Kassian as their most common winger).

No doubt, Sabres D is better though. Montour was a good grab by them.

Reactions: Michoulicious

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Oilers cap situation makes me lean towards the Sabres. Both have pretty glaring issues and I feel like the Sabres are in a better position to actually address them. They do have a tough division to break through though with Tampa,Boston and Toronto not going anywhere soon and Florida looking to make moves.

Honestly Buffalo will probably be in just as bad a cap situation if not worse in the next few years. If they want to sign Skinner they’ll have to give him 8+, Reinhart could get 7, it’s looking like Dahlin will get 10+ and they still have tons of holes to fill.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Honestly Buffalo will probably be in just as bad a cap situation if not worse in the next few years. If they want to sign Skinner they’ll have to give him 8+, Reinhart could get 7, it’s looking like Dahlin will get 10+ and they still have tons of holes to fill.

Paying good players what they're worth is a non-issue. It's garbage contracts that are a problem, and Buffalo's all expire much sooner/are much more escapable than Edmonton's. $10M coming off the books this season from Pominville and Moulson + $12M next year from Scandella, Sheary, and Bogo. The Sabres are positioned just fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad