Which team do you prefer in the 1st round?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Leafs.

Doesn't really matter though. With home ice they should comfortably beat any of these teams. If they don't then there will be some serious worries for the 2nd round where the competition gets much tougher.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Are the Rangers going to have an easier path than us to the finals?

If so, I want to play who they are going to play. I know, it's too late to tank. But food for thought, we should be able to choose our opponent, if something so simple as losing can ensure an easier bracket.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Are the Rangers going to have an easier path than us to the finals?

If so, I want to play who they are going to play. I know, it's too late to tank. But food for thought, we should be able to choose our opponent, if something so simple as losing can ensure an easier bracket.

think they have the habs and Price. Dont think thats easier then whoever the caps play in round 1

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
will be cool to beat Tampa, then Pitts, then Rangers, then Chicago - exorsizing demons

So for the first round my preferences would be Tampa, Toronto (exciting fun series), Boston, Ottawa

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Not sure why anyone wants Boston. They dominate the puck and have a fantastic top line that could neutralize Ovechkin and Backstrom at ES. Much rather face a weak team like Ottawa.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Not sure why anyone wants Boston. They dominate the puck and have a fantastic top line that could neutralize Ovechkin and Backstrom at ES. Much rather face a weak team like Ottawa.

The first lines would cancel each other. After that, our depth >> their depth.

IvanMalison

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR

Agreed, I hope Trotz rests enough players to give Boston the game on Saturday. Assuming that Boston beats ottawa, the B's would be in control of their own destiny...

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
First of all, great to see that Tampa is no longer a part of the discussion.

Of the remaining 3, obviously Ottawa and Toronto before Boston.

In fact we may need to throw that game against Boston. Let them win their last two games so we don't face them in the
1st round.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

They've dominated the puck for years. Rask can't beat the Caps and the Bruins can't beat Holtby. We have owned the Bruins and even did ok against them in the Oates years when they had a far superior team. Has Rask even ever beaten us??? Didn't the Bruins get shutout by Holtby last year or the year before in the season series?

Tampa is another team we have owned. They just match up very poorly against us.

Leafs are young and their D is suspect.

The team I'd least want to play is Ottawa and that is because they play coinflip hockey and muddy the waters. Hunter hockey only worse with Le Chiffre as their coach. All the games will be 1-0 or 2-1 as they will just line up 5 across their blue line and pray for a PP or a turnover.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
The more I think about it, the more I think it will be the Leafs:

1. Boston are pretty hot lately, smashing Tampa Bay with ruthless efficiency on Tuesday. They should dispatch Ottawa, and then probably beat us as we will be looking to rest/protect our players. So they end up with 98 points.

2. Can't see Ottawa beating Boston on the road tonight, but then they get a Rangers team with nothing to play for at home, and an anemic Islanders team for their final game. They win their last two, so they also finish with 98 points.

3. Tonights game is probably Toronto's biggest of the season. Tampa still has an outside chance, so Toronto needs to smash them, and they will. But next they get Pittsburgh and Columbus. Pittsburgh will still be fighting for seeding, so Toronto loses that game. Columbus will probably have nothing to play for, as they will be locked into the #3 seed. That game could go both ways, but lets take worse case scenario and Toronto wins it. They then finish with 97 points, behind both Ottawa and Boston.

Pretty much the way I see it. All 3 of those teams win two of their remaining final games, leaving Toronto in the WC2.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I say all that, and yet now I see that the Islanders play @ Car, @ NJD, and vs Ottawa. Islanders have won their last 3, and those last 3 games are pretty soft...but I don't see them beating Ottawa if Ottawa still has something to play for. I'll stick with Toronto as our likely 1st round opponent.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010

I want no part of a team that has won their last 6. Hopefully the Caps agree with me and throw that last game against Boston.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Caps should blow thru any team they face in the first round. That said, If they get Ottawa, I really hope they get it done in 4 games. The Sens are going to trap and the games are going to be hideous to watch.

Sep 19, 2008
Caps have generally owned the Boston Bruins since 2012. I am not scared of them at all.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Caps have generally owned the Boston Bruins since 2012. I am not scared of them at all.

They've won their last 6. You don't want to face a hot team in the first round. Ottawa or Toronto are preferable.

Sep 19, 2008
They've won their last 6. You don't want to face a hot team in the first round. Ottawa or Toronto are preferable.

Especially Toronto with how inexperienced they are. Bruins are also kind of a young team but have leadership with Marchand (suspension pending?) and Bergeron.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
The Caps have so much depth it shouldn't matter who we play, we've also had our fair share of facing hot goalies. I'm comfortably numb and not worried.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The Caps have so much depth it shouldn't matter who we play, we've also had our fair share of facing hot goalies. I'm comfortably numb and not worried.

lol "Welcome to the Machine" was just playing on my ipod. It's a sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad