Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Hedman

Votes: 59 45.7%
  • Erik Karlsson

Votes: 35 27.1%

• Total voters

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
Lets say you would start up an NHL team and you could pick one of these players for your team (in their prime, disregarding their age right now)

Who would you pick?

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Between Hedman and Karlsson.

I think I'd take Hedman. Better defensive game and he's proven he can win it all (not saying Karlsson definitely can't/couldn't have under different circumstances - we don't know).

Reactions: Honest M

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hedman is the safe pick, but I’m tempted by Karlsson if his injury history doesn’t necessarily happen in this scenario (new team, new timeline)

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Hahahaha, some crazy takes in here. We’re talking starting fresh no injury history. Karlsson’s injuries happened because of bad luck, not like Peter Forsberg who had chronic foot problems and was playing overly physically. Not only could Karlsson have been the hands down best Dman of a generation without that achilles injury (which he still probably was) but he could also have been a contender for the best player of a generation. This poll result just shows a massive lack of memory in here.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's weird that for the Finnish player and the Swedish scenario, my answer is actually probably a Defenceman for both, over the #1C.

Pettersson is just a little bit too "mercurial" for me to choose over a guy who was a perennial Norris caliber defender for a long time. Hedman in his prime is just such a game changer on defence. Arguably the best in the league for a pretty decent chunk of time.

Reactions: Three On Zero

Honest M

May 11, 2012
Between Karlsson and Hedman. if you look at carrier then probably Hedman but talent that's Karlsson, and you might end up with having the best player in the league for several years.

I pick Karlsson, Hedman is great tho.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'll take the 6'7, do it all dman over Karlsson. Even if at his best you might get a little more dominance from Karlsson at times, Hedman at his best had no real flaws and is easier to build an "all around" defence with.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Easy Hedman for me (though Pettersson is trending quite nicely).

(Just realized that I seem to value D a lot.. I picked Heiskanen for Finland, and Chelios for US)

Reactions: norrisnick

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Went with Pettersson, didn't exclude age because it disproportionately punishes younger players as we haven't seen them through their prime yet, so let's have this discussion again in 10 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad