Which player are you most excited to watch in 2017-18?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Seems like this offseason is never going to end, so let's start a new thread to argue about players that we all like :laugh:

Which member of the Flames are you most excited to watch play in this next season?

Seems like there are lots of options - Gaudreau for obvious reasons, Ferland for the body checks alone, Bennett because he looks poised to break out, Jankowski because he's coming off such an impressive year in Stockton... but for me it's Matthew Tkachuk. Thinking about all his great moments through his rookie year alone and knowing that he's only going to get better puts a grin on my face. It won't feel like the season's started until the first time I see him chewing on his mouthguard after a whistle.

I could insert a poll but I'm entirely too lazy

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Bennett, Tkachuk, Hamonic and I'm super hyped to see Dougie. Personally I think Dougie will take a major step forward this year and become one of the true elite Dman in the NHL.

And yeah Tkachuk is going to go next level this season. Another season of adding muscle and increased speed. Another season of animosity built up towards him, can't wait for the year to start.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Johnny Gaudreau. The guy had a down year last year, but had several factors in play which led to that. This year, I think everything is pretty much aligned for him to absolutely blow up.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Jankowski, assuming he makes the team this year. Next in line would be Gaudreau and Tkachuk. After that would be Bennett and with Bennett it will be more of a nervous type of excitement... ie. Can he make the next big step that everyone expects him to or will he have another disappointing year?

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
I cant wait to see what Matthew Tkachuk brings this year. Also I wanna Dougie play to his size more.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Jarome Iginla, because Bennett setting him up will be beauty.

Janks if he makes it, if not I'm excited to see if Lazar can be a regular with us to justify the pick we gave up.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think Tkachuk could really develop into a premier winger this season, so him.

I'm also extremely curious to see how Mike Smith does. I am leery of him but he also has some promising stats. Should be interesting.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
There's just too many to mention IMO:

-Mike Smith, no secret I was pumping his tires pre-trade, will he prove me right?
-Sam Bennett- is this the year he breaks out?
-Travis Hamonic-is he the perfect fit for TJ?
-Johnny Gaudreau- does he return to being one of the best in the game?
-Sean Monahan- can he avoid the 25-30 game slump he's had to start the last couple of seasons? If so could he put up 35-35?
-Matt Tkachuk- can he become a star winger?
-Mark Jankowski- can he keep the hype bubble from bursting?
-Mike Ferland-is he a first or third liner?

I'll go Johnny because I think he's going to have a special year.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
For me, it's Hamonic. I really think he and Brodie are going to hit it off and challenge for the #1 pairing. I hope Hamonic will be our next Regehr :).

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Brodie. I want to see his form from two years ago, not the one we got for the first 2/3's of last year.

I know real life issues and I understand/respect that, but I would love to see gamebreaking Brodie come back in full force.

Also excited to see how Lack does, Hamonic, and Jankowski. Hoping for offensive catalyst Gaudreau too.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Brodie. I want to see his form from two years ago, not the one we got for the first 2/3's of last year.

I know real life issues and I understand/respect that, but I would love to see gamebreaking Brodie come back in full force.

Also excited to see how Lack does, Hamonic, and Jankowski. Hoping for offensive catalyst Gaudreau too.

If we get Brodie from two years ago, Hamonic shows up, Stone continues to play like he did at the end of last season, Gio and Hamilton continue to play like they have been. Then we have one of the top D in the league. That's a lot of 'ifs' though.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Ferland.

I really think this is his "do or die" season. He'll be given the chance to stick with Monahan and Gaudreau. If he does well, it could be the break he needs that develops him into a legitimate top 6 forward. If he fails, I feel like that might be his last chance with them, and they look at other options.

He 100% needs to come into this season with the tenacity he showed in the playoffs against Vancouver. When he loses that edge, he's far less effective.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Ferland.

I really think this is his "do or die" season. He'll be given the chance to stick with Monahan and Gaudreau. If he does well, it could be the break he needs that develops him into a legitimate top 6 forward. If he fails, I feel like that might be his last chance with them, and they look at other options.

He 100% needs to come into this season with the tenacity he showed in the playoffs against Vancouver. When he loses that edge, he's far less effective.

If he fails to show he is a top 6 forward, he is still the kind of player I think the Flames would like to see in the organization long term. If he was willing to take on a 3rd line role (and pay), I could see him sticking around for a long time still.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Gaudreau because he's our most entertaining player by far and Backlund. I'm intrigued by Tkachuk, Bennett and Jankowski, as well as Brodie with a competent partner.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Ferland.

I'm optimistic about Ferland clicking with the top line based on his playoff performances. The guy really seems to show up when the team needs him to.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Hamonic.

He is a pretty easy choice being the "big" off-season addition but I am really excited to see a physical legit top 4 guy on this team. Its a piece we have obviously been missing since Regehr and I think him with Brodie should be a great pairing.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
This probably doesn't count because he won't be with the Flames, but Parsons. Very excited to see how he does in pro hockey. Someone else mentioned Lack and they may have been being sarcastic, but I'm actually really intrigued to see how he does as well.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Sam Bennett...hopefully delighted with his development

or totally pissed off.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Surprised nobody's brought up Mike Smith yet. We could have a starter for the first time since another goaltender whose name I'm not going to say so as to jinx it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad