Which of your prospects might make opening NHL rosters?

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
In the end, Andreas Nödl, Kyle Turris and Matt Taormina made it, also last years "always-on-the-bubble"-guy Mark Fraser made the Devils.

Taormina and Fraser for sure have benefitted from the Devils Cap situation - but i don't care :)

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Updates - Sauer and Cormier are in, Loktionov is still to be decided.

Still in camp for the Jackets are:

D Ryan McDonagh, NYR -- Mcdonagh has had a strong camp and pre-season, and looks to have solidifed a spot on the blueshirts' bottom pair to start the season. UPDATE: The Rangers sent McDonagh and Pavel Valentenko down as their final cuts. McDonagh was sent tdown in order to get 25 minutes a night, while a more seasoned defenceman was kept for the 6/7 slot (see below). Barring injury, McDonagh will see NHL game action this season.

C/W Andrei Loktionov, LAK -- Loktionov is threatening to claim a spot in the Kings' top 6, and may eventually push Stoll down the depth chart; he's shown up healthy and competitive, while still displaying all the puck skills that made him a great mid-round gamble.
UPDATE: Loki had a terrific camp, and is in the mix for 4th line center - it's between him and Brayden Schenn. The edge might go to Schenn, who would otherwise go back to Junior, while Loktionov can return to the Monarchs.

C Patrice Cormier, ATL -- Last year's lightning rod for controversy had won the Thrasher''s third-line center duties before breaking a foot while blocking a shot in a 4-on-4 team scrimmage. (That's right, the guy blocks shots in scrimmages.) He'll be slotted into the lineup in a few weeks once his foot heals.

D Mike Sauer, NYR -- Kurt's little brother is still in camp with the Rangers, He's had a solid if unspectacular camp, and while he will almost certainly be sent down with the last cuts, he will also be their first call-up in the event of a defensive defenceman going down to injury.
UPDATE: Sauer made the final cut, and will start the season with the Rangers (goes to show what I know!). It makes sense, though, that a player with a couple of years of AHL experience be the guy to shuttle between the lineup and the press box early in the season, while prospects with more upside get premium minutes in Hartford.

D Eric Gryba, OTT -- Gryba has stuck around in Sens camp longer than many expected. He's not seriously expected to make the opening day roster, but his steadiness, physicality, work ethic and simple play have earned him an extended stay in camp.
UPDATE: As expected, he will start the year in Binghampton... but he earned himself some fans among the players and coaches for his steady camp, and may be a depth option for the Sens going forward.

Plus G Semyen Varlamov, LW Max Pacioretty and D Carl Gunnarsson (if they still count as rookies) will all make their respective teams' opening day rosters.

UPDATE - Nick Holden: I'd missed puck-mover Holden in my initial review of camp performers. He played fairly well, and given the (NHL) Jackets' uncertian blueline, it was basically a coin flip for him to stay up or go down. Down it is, for now.

Other late cuts included:

LW Blake Geoffrion, NAS -- played well enough to earn a spot, but became a victim of numbers up front; he'll be among the first call-ups, and meantime will continue to win over fans in Wisconsin (this time playing for the Milwaukee Admirals)

C/W Zach Boychuk, CAR -- strong camps by Drayson Bowman and Jeff Skinner made it a tough call selecting a rookie forward to join the Canes' big club, especially ahead of Jiri Tlusty's one-way contract. He'll be an early call-up as soon as someone struggles or gets injured.

RW Mats Zuccarello-Aasen, NYR -- didn't look completely out of place, but will certainly benefit from getting adjusted to the North American game with lots of ice time in Hartford.

LW Carl Klingberg and RW Andre Petersson have already started their seasons in Sweden, and are playing well. They'll both challenge for NHL jobs next year.

Finally, it's good to see former Jackets picks Corey Crawford, Derek Stepan and Maxime Sauve having strong camps. Makes us feel good about our scouting, if nothing else!

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Derek Stepan: Has had a good training camp, could start the season centering Gabby and Frolov

Erik Gudbranson: Has been a workhorse for the Panthers this preseason, and will likely get a 9 game look.

Joe Colborne: Will likely start the season in the AHL.

Patrick Wiercioch: Will likely start the season in the AHL.

Mark Dekanich: Battling Pickard and Lindback to back up Rinne.

Tom Pyatt: Likely cracks the Habs.

Alec Richards: Probably cut after tonights game.

Francis Pare: longshot

Tim Brent: has had a good preseason, could crack the Leafs

Alexander Sulzer: could crack the Preds D, however hasn't been overly impressive and might end up on the outside looking in once again.

Paul Byron: Kind of surprised he is still around, likely cut pretty soon.

Update:

Stepan, Gudbranson, Pyatt, Brent and Sulzer all seem to have made there respective teams.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
I don't know whether to :handclap: or :cry:.

Seeing how Booth has looked quite good this preseason, I think you can be excited for Stepan, at least that's until Booth suffers another concussion... :sarcasm:

Update #2: Gudbranson made the team, but the Panthers could not fit the bonus that he was after into the teams budget. Let's hope he at the very least lands the Habs a cool million in endorsement cash.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
For the Ducks, the biggest training camp news was Michael Grabner's getting waived by Florida. Now that he's been claimed by the Isles, he certainly shouldn't be short on opportunities to play on a scoring line...

Elsewhere, Matt Martin also appears to have made the Fishsticks, and Ben Lovejoy seems to have the Pens #6 D job sewn up. Slightly higher in profile are P.K. Subban, whose inclusion on the Habs roster was really a foregone conclusion, and Magnus Paajarvi (now sans Svensson, apparently) with the Oilers.

Two "almosts" were Thomas Hickey and Maxime Macenauer. Hickey and Jacob Muzzin were a coin-flip to fill in for the injured Matt Greene, and apparently Hickey lost the flip. Macenauer, on the other hand, came out of almost nowhere to turn some heads at camp with his ability to contribute on the penalty kill.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Seeing how Booth has looked quite good this preseason, I think you can be excited for Stepan, at least that's until Booth suffers another concussion... :sarcasm:

Update #2: Gudbranson made the team, but the Panthers could not fit the bonus that he was after into the teams budget. Let's hope he at the very least lands the Habs a cool million in endorsement cash.

Florida clearly mishandled the Gudbranson situation. Is another year in the OHL good for him? Maybe, but you don't let it get to this point with a rookie and have money be the issue keeping him off your roster.

I'm restarting the "contraction" bus...

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Update, or confirmation, depending on your view: Detroit sucks.

Very frustrated how, with only a couple of exceptions, my prospects came up lame this year. Add in many of my short term fillers for the roster are looking particularly lame. The first firesale of the HFNHL season might begin in Detroit. Of course this is also looking like a bad draft year so there's little benefit to sucking. :cry:

Me thinks the GM needs to be fired.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Update for New Jersey:

Seguin, Leddy and Stalberg are in.

Pretty shocked about Leddy...a player that was underwhelming in NCAA last year. I knew he was having a good camp, but figured he had no shot.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
For LA, Pietrangelo, Skille, Marchand and Stoner all made their NHL clubs. Cohen and Smith were the last cuts for their respective teams.

No "impact rookies" in the bunch.

For the Kings:

Alex Pietrangelo - Has played well and logged lots of minutes with STL in preseason. Should start the season in the NHL, though Cole is right there pushing for a spot as well.

Brendan Smith - Wings fans are impressed with his offensive abilities, and saying he'll be a stud. But he will likely end up in the AHL to work on his defensive play which has been shaky.

Ryan Ellis - Still with the Preds, and may get the 9-game look. I personally think he'll be back in Windsor, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Colby Cohen - Battling with Shattenkirk and Holos for the last spot on the Avs, and is playing well. I didn't expect him to make the team so it's gravy if he does. Cumiskey may not be ready to start the season which would temporarily open another spot on the blueline.

Jack Skille - Looks like he'll make the Blackhawks. He's played average except for one game where he had a fire under his ass and played great. Hoping he can bring it every night in a bottom-6 forward role.

Clayton Stoner - He's still up and all summer long he's been pencilled in for the Wild's #6 dman job, and I think that's still looking to be the case.

Brad Marchand - He could make it or be a quick call-up for Boston

Oscar Moller - Will probably go to the farm. Was hoping he'd have a spot locked down by now.

Billy Sweatt, Jared Staal - May still be up but will be on the farm to start the season.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
MADE THE ROSTER

Mark Olver - "I liked the way he engaged in the games. To me, he was very noticeable,' Avs coach Joe Sacco said of Olver. "I thought he played with an edge, for a small guy (5-feet-10, 170 pounds), and disrupted the opposition"

Anton Khudobin - One of three goalies making the opening night 23, though he'll most likely get relegated down to the AHL now that the team has signed Theodore.

Mikael Backlund - "He's a young kid," Flames coach Brent Sutter said. "You can't force it with him. He's got to find his way and we'll help him through that. He just needs to keep playing like he's playing. I think he showed last year when he came in and played here," he said. "He didn't look out of place at all and he got thrown into some key situations and key spots. That's going to be no different for him right now at this point in time."

Jeff Skinner - "Jeff looks to be more and more at home each time he hits the ice," Canes coach Paul Maurice said via e-mail Tuesday. "Each game he creates more offense." Maurice expects Skinner will, telling reporters after Monday's game that Skinner "does things you don't see a lot of other players do." He mentioned Skinner's ability to handle the puck and skate through traffic, noting, "He's a lot of fun to watch. I'd buy tickets to see him play, and he's just 18

Artem Anisimov - “I have to be careful with Artie and not skip a step here and throwing him in between them [on the top line],” Tortorella said. “Last year, I moved him up and it seemed to be too much for him. He is playing with a ton of confidence right now and I don’t want to screw him up by giving him too much. It could happen. I tried it with Derek Stepan and I thought he handled himself very well in that situation and I think Artie will too.”

Mike Moore - The Sharks cut Lilja to keep Moore.

David Schlemko - "We have David Schlemko, who played a little for us last year and is ready now for a full-time job." said Coyotes coach Dave Tippett.

James Reimer – still in camp with the Leafs but unlikely to stick given the NHL goalies.

INJURED RESERVE

Ray Kaunisto - LA Kings
Andrew Kozek - Atlanta Thrashers

FINAL CUTS

Eric Tangradi - Bizarrely demoted to the ECHL with Wheeling means he's not on the opening night roster. It appears that one of the two Goalies in Pitt are injured or about to be traded and they had to call up Pat Killeen. Because Tangradi has to physically report to Wheeling, just down the road from Pittsburgh, it seems likely he'll be called up soon, where he'll play along side Malkin and Comrie.

Matt Bartowski - "I thought Bartkowski had a really good camp,'' said Boston Bruins GM Chiarelli. ''He showed he can play in this league and he also pushed our other defensemen. He's a bright player, and right now we think it will help him to play in the minors, get a little stronger. But I was impressed by how well he moves the puck ... moves it very efficiently, with nice flat passes. He's very close to being able to help us.''

Bobby Butler - Ottawa Sens

Zack Kassian – No contract and his youth mean another year in the OHL. Had a goal and 3 assists in his first game back.

Grant Clitsome - sent to the AHL.

FLAMES NEWS:

Brad Ross just won the WHL player of the week honors, with 5 goals and 6 points in 4 games. The week prior, Nathan Lieuwen won the Goaltender of the Week honors in the WHL. Alex Emond, a 2010 draft pick from the QMJHL, has 9 points in 6 games, with 5 goals.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Slightly higher in profile are P.K. Subban, whose inclusion on the Habs roster was really a foregone conclusion ...

Good on Subban.

I have to admit I was one that assumed Subban a shoe in as well but last week I heard a radio interview with a Montreal journalist who was fairly critical of the camp Subban had had thereby casting doubt on my assumption. He mentioned he was consistently getting burned with his high risk plays and wasn't sure Subban would make the opening night roster. He even said he was worried Subban had been reading his own press clippings over the summer too much and had not come properly prepared.
I didn't see any of Montreal's preseason so I can't comment myself.

As a Montreal fan I'm of course hoping to has a great year.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
As a Montreal fan I'm of course hoping (Subban) has a great year.

He'll have to, with Markov out for months again :cry:. I hope he succeeds too - it's always better when the Canadian teams are doing well, and of course I'm a big booster of minorities within the NHL (and hockey generally).

JACKETS UPDATE: Andrei Loktionov made the Kings' 23-man roster to start the season, although lineups for Saturday's opener in Vancovuer have not yet been announced, as 4 forwards (Brayden Schenn, Trevor Lewis and camp surprise Kyle Clifford are the others) are competing for two spots on the 4th line with Kevin Westgarth. Schenn and Clifford can play up to 9 games before having to go back to junior or burn the first year of their contracts, so it's likely Loki will play a few and sit a few as the Kings give all their young players a look in real game situations before making final decisions. If he ends up going down to Manchester, he'll be centering the Monarchs' top line.

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
For the Hurricanes it is a disappointing preseason for our prospects. None have made their NHL rosters although Ellerby and Vincour were final cuts. Guys like Duchene, Peters, Babchuk and Helm we aren't considering for this thread as they have all played a full season in the NHL.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Final Detroit Update:
I technically have some rookies making NHL rosters for Day 1 but if any of them stay is uncertain.

Mike Weber (BUF) - The Sabers still have 7 dmen up and Rivet may come off IR by the time the puck drops so it’s uncertain whether it will be Butler or Weber that stays with the big club.

Eddie Lack (VCR) – Cap circumvention? I’m hearing reference to some rookie related cap loop hole that a couple of teams have jumped on but haven’t heard how it works. It has been rumoured that Lack (and Hodgeson) may have been kept on to exploit this alleged loop hole. I’ll have to wait and see if Luongo ever takes a day off and if Lack actually gets the start or if instead Schneider gets recalled from the AHL for that game.

Adam Henrique (NJ) – Again there is a possibility this is another loop hole exploit. Henrique was just recalled and NJ is playing coy about whether they actually plan to dress him for the game.

If anyone knows the deal on what this alleged loop hole is I’m curious to know what it is.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
For the Blues, definitely one of our better rookie classes:

Jordon Eberle is a lock to be on a scoring line in Edmonton.

Lars Eller will make the Habs, but remains to be seen whether he is on a 3rd line, or makes his way into the top 6. More likely the former at this point. Ben Maxwell has played very well with the Habs in preseason, but is likely to be sent to the AHL at some point in what will be another year of back and forth between the Habs and the AHL.

Maxim Goncharov remains with the Coyotes, but will likely end up in the AHL as he gets accustomed to NA. He is competing with OEL amongst other veterans on one-way deals for the 6th and 7th spot, so doubtful. Viktor Tikhonov will remain with the Coyotes for the season, it looks like.

Jhonas Enroth remains with the Sabres, but seems destined for the AHL once again given Miller will play 70 games and Lalime has a one-way deal to Enroth's two-way deal.

Ian Cole remains in St. Louis and has an outside shot at a look early in the season, but more than likely will head to the AHL for a period.

Calvin de Haan remains with the Isles, but after his injury last year, seems likely to be sent back to Oshawa, even with Streit out. Meanwhile, Andrew MacDonald will be in the top 4 with the Isles for sure.

Jordon Caron remains with the Bruins and has played well, but likely to be one of the last cuts.

Frederik Pettersson has been the surprise of Thrashers camp and might actually secure a top 6 spot, but is at least, a very likely candidate to break camp with the team.

Jan Mursak remains with the Red Wings and has played very well in preseason, but seems like he will spend another year in the AHL given the Red Wings ever-present depth at the NHL.

Brendan Mikkelson looks like he might stay with the Duckes to start the season

TJ Brennan is still with the Sabres, but I suspect he will be headed to the AHL shortly, as they want him to be a big part of their farm club's top 4 and develop this year.

Erik Gustafsson is still with the Flyers, but will spend the year in the AHL as well it looks like.

Roman Josi broke his arm early in camp, so likely to start in the AHL given the Preds depth on D. Similarly, Yann Sauve was injured in a car accident pre-camp, and will start in the AHL undoubtedly.

Overall, 7 forwards, 7 d-men and a goalie still in camp, which is great to see, even if it will get cut in half over the next week.

For the Blues, the majority of these rookies were just sent down in the last few days, which is to say, that overall, most were tough decisions and they showed quite well.

As to those who made their teams, Eberle and Eller up front, in addition to Mikkelson were hardly surprises.

The two surprises were Ian Cole and Jordon Caron, both of whom, will at least start the season with the big clubs with a chance to lock a spot down for the year.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
For the Blues, the majority of these rookies were just sent down in the last few days, which is to say, that overall, most were tough decisions and they showed quite well.

As to those who made their teams, Eberle and Eller up front, in addition to Mikkelson were hardly surprises.

The two surprises were Ian Cole and Jordon Caron, both of whom, will at least start the season with the big clubs with a chance to lock a spot down for the year.

Was Cole re-called? He was sent down on Tuesday, much to the surprise of Blues fans. Regardless he's going to be a good one.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Eric Tangradi - Bizarrely demoted to the ECHL with Wheeling means he's not on the opening night roster. It appears that one of the two Goalies in Pitt are injured or about to be traded and they had to call up Pat Killeen. Because Tangradi has to physically report to Wheeling, just down the road from Pittsburgh, it seems likely he'll be called up soon, where he'll play along side Malkin and Comrie.

In the end Tangradi was recalled and played tonight.

Default101

Not much to speak of here, pretty disappointing. I keep thinking I have TJ Brodie, but I forgot Brock jumped ahead landed that gem of a pick. Nothing surprising out of Phoenix, hopefully later in the year. Tyler Ennis will look to have a big first full year, and Cody Hodgson will finally get an extended shot to prove himself at the NHL level.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Was Cole re-called? He was sent down on Tuesday, much to the surprise of Blues fans. Regardless he's going to be a good one.

You're right, I missed that one. After they sent a few other guys down, the speculation was he had made the opening night team, but clearly, not so.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
So despite only recording 1 assist Playing on the fourth line burmistrov appears to be staying with the big club for the season I kind of hoped he would be sent down so he could play top minutes but atl thinks he should stay it seems

Fooladelfia

Nov 11, 2007
Cal O'Reilly:Cal O'Reilly is trying to stick after tearing up the AHL (253 points in 260 games) for the last four seasons.

Bobby Sanguinetti:Will fight for 6th and 7th defence in Carolina.

Oskars Bartulis:Oskars Bartulis must prove they’re still deserving of a place on the team.

Carter Ashton:Yzerman indicated that they had a lot of discussion about keeping him. They thought he played exceptionally well. He said he’s strong enough to play at that level, he skates well enough to play at that level. The biggest thing with Steve is he understands the importance of development. He felt unless he could guarantee him quality minutes it was more beneficial for him to come back and contribute in our league and for our hockey club. We talked about stressing the importance of him being consistent and playing at the standard he set. If he does that with our hockey club he’ll have success and he should give himself an opportunity to be in consideration for the world junior team as well.

Jordan Schroeder;The Vancouver Canucks shipped their 2009 first-round draft choice to Manitoba of the AHL on Monday. The demotion was not a surprise, considering the intense competition for bottom-six forward spots and Schroeder's lack of pro experience. But the timing could have been better."He's got speed, he's got skill, but he's got to use it more," Vigneault told reporters. "He was sent [to Manitoba] with the right message. If he ever wants to play at this level, he's got to dominate that level. That's his next step.

"If he does that then in the future he may have a chance."

Nino Niederreiter
:Okposo's absence will likely mean a much longer look at top prospect Nino Niederreiter, who is almost certain to play the entirety of the nine-game sample stretch allowed under NHL rules. After that time the Isle will have to decide whether to keep him around or send him back to his WHL team in Portland.

Taylor Hall:No doubt he will be with the big team :handclap:

Jiri Hudler:prediction 60 points from Hudler this year.

Alexander Vasyunov:Whas sent down...but could be back.

Vladimir Zharkov: To get Devils roster spot, Vladimir Zharkov needs to find scoring touch or hew will start in the minors.

Nino and Brett Connolly sent to juniors :cry:
At least Brett Connolly tearing the OHL http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=107051

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad