Which of these 1990s Draftees will be inducted into the HHOF?

Which of these 1990s Draftees will be inducted into the HHOF?

• Keith Tkachuk

Votes: 20 19.4%
  • Peter Bondra

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Alex Kovalev

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Ray Whitney

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Ziggy Palffy

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • Alexei Yashin

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Patrik Elias

Votes: 51 49.5%
  • Shane Doan

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Vincent Lecavelier

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Brad Richards

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • None

Votes: 33 32.0%

• Total voters

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
I was looking through the 1990s Forward draftees to look for inductees, and I ran into a Dilemma...

Usually, there are somewhere between 15-20 Forwards a decade who are inducted into the Hall of Fame, which means about that many Hall of Fame Caliber players are drafted within that period of time. Problem is, only 13 look like they are going to get in (8 have been inducted. Jagr, Thornton, Marleau, as much as we hate to say it, Datsyuk and Zetterberg are all Shoe-ins to get in), while the undrafted Martin St. Louis puts the total number for the 1990s to 14.

While there are an Abundance of inductees and candidates from the 1980s that make up for this Lack of HHOF Talent, I think there has to be at least 1-2 more inductees from these Draft Classes. If you don't think there is any, then you can pick None. (But please look into these further than surface level, otherwise you might assume all of them aren't even close.)

Let's Discuss.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Elias clearly should make it. Recent inductions of Hossa and Alfredsson are very comparable players. Maybe his regular season wouldn’t cut it on its own, but he has an impressive playoff resume as well, with two Cups and two more SCF appearances. Let’s also not forget that he was one of the players most screwed by the lockout, not only he missed a prime season, but he got sick playing in Russia and missed most of the following season as well. Cost him some 150 career points, which, if he had them, would mean we wouldn’t be discussing this today.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Palffy should be, just on talent, name & skill alone.

Had to play with terrible rosters with mostly Derek Armstrong, Stumpel & Travis Green as centers. Well over a PPG and a two way player.

With Slovakia he couldnt make a lot of noise either.

Keith Tkachuk played for medicocre teams too. Without injuries he would have had six 40+ goals seasons including a lot of penalty box time.

Last edited:

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Palffy should be, just on talent, name & skill alone.

Had to play with terrible rosters with mostly Derek Armstrong, Stumpel & Travis Green as centers. Well over a PPG and a two way player.

With Slovakia he couldnt make a lot of noise either.

Keith Tkachuk played for medicocre teams too. Without injuries he would have had six 40+ goals seasons including a lot of penalty box time.
I love Palffy and I agree he had HoF talent, but he was injured a lot and retired quite early. Played less than 700 games in the NHL. He would need some serious individual and/or team trophies to make it with such a short career. Think Forsberg or Lindros.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Jorma Heart

Sep 5, 2009
Patrik Elias easily, maybe Lecavalier, Doan, Bondra, Tkachuk and Palffy has a case too.

GoldenKnight

Jun 2, 2017
Las Vegas
Lecavalier is an interesting one, I do think he gets in eventually, he was quite the player in his prime, and his impact did transcend beyond the game and hockey media circles.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Some all time favorite players of mine in that list, but none have a compelling case. Someone like Elias was a pretty good player who should just be part of a franchise hall of fame, not the real deal.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Shane Doan? No hardware, career-high 78 points Shane Doan? He has to be one of the most overrated players of my lifetime. Lecavalier has a 100 points season, a Rocket Richard, 13 seasons of 20+ goals, and a cup. Kovalev is one of the most gifted players of all-time. Keith Tkachuk is one of the best power-forwards in history. Richards has a Conn Smythe.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
None should be, but because of the low bar of the HHOF, I'm sure a couple will get in. All were very good players, but I don't think any are Hall-of-Famers.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Most of these guys are lacking individual hardware that you'd like to see on a cup resume, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them make it in. If the Sedins entered the Hall, a few of these guys could make a case.

I think there's a recency bias for some of these players. Give it another 5 years or so, and some will have them in the hall of very good, but not HHOF-level careers.

Elias has the cup wins and 1000+ points, playing a pretty integral role on those strong Devils teams, so I think he's the strongest of the group.

Lecavalier has the Richard win and a cup win, but not breaking 1000 points hurts his case here, and it's similar with Richards.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Most of these guys are lacking individual hardware that you'd like to see on a cup resume, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few of them make it in. If the Sedins entered the Hall, a few of these guys could make a case.

I think there's a recency bias for some of these players. Give it another 5 years or so, and some will have them in the hall of very good, but not HHOF-level careers.

Elias has the cup wins and 1000+ points, playing a pretty integral role on those strong Devils teams, so I think he's the strongest of the group.

Lecavalier has the Richard win and a cup win, but not breaking 1000 points hurts his case here, and it's similar with Richards.
Yep, some will probably get in. When you have Sedin(s) and Alfredsson level players getting in, the door is wide open.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I hope none of those guys get in, but if anyone on that list should, it would have to be Elias. Superficially he has the resume that HHOFs seem to like (2 Cups, being a 1st line player and top performer on each), another Cup finals appearance as a/the key forward, and a good playoff resume outside of that. The 1,000 points is a major milestone in the eyes of HHOF voters, and he has that too. He has no major awards to his resume, other than a 1st-team all-star berth in his peak season.

Someone like Tkachuk has the regular season accomplishments, but he was utter garbage in the playoffs and I think that alone makes it highly unlikely he'll sniff the HHOF.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I'm always puzzled by the lack of support for Elias. He's one of the most underrated stars of the past 30 years.

His career totals aren't overwhelming. But he scored all 1,025 points with a single franchise. Only 46 players in NHL have scored 1,000+ points with one team (Bergeron and Stamkos will join this club very soon), and all but one of them is in the Hall (or likely to end up there).

Elias was a very good two-way player, and he spent his entire career on a team that (generally) played conservatively. I think it's likely his career totals would have been higher, had he played on nearly any other team. He was willing to sacrifice scoring stats to buy into a winning system. (Even then, if I cherry-pick his best years, Elias was 7th in the league in scoring during his prime - 2000 to 2012).

He had a "signature" season in 2001, where he was 3rd in the league in scoring, and 6th in Hart voting (4th among forwards). He was "only" top ten in scoring three time - the same or more than HOF players like Eric Lindros, Doug Gilmour, Sergei Fedorov, Mats Sundin, Brett Hull, Mike Modano, Brendan Shanahan, Daniel Alfredsson, Marian Hossa, Daniel Sedin, Yvan Cournoyer, Bill Barber (let alone bottom-tier HOF forwards like Gillies, Shutt, Andreychuk, Ciccarelli, Nieuwendyk, Gartner, Neely, McDonald, Mullen, LaFontaine, etc).

Elias was a very good playoff performer. When the Devils went to three Stanley Cup finals in the span of four years, he was by far their best forward. Nobody scored more playoff points during the 2000's decade.

I see little separating Elias, Alfredsson and Hossa. It doesn't make sense why two of them are in the Hall, and Elias isn't.

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Elias would be a lower end inductee, but could make it.

The rest, absolutely not. Nostalgia is funny sometimes. Not gonna make any direct comparables, but some of these names are the Gabe Landeskog, Tyler Seguin, Taylor Hall, Jakub Voracek, Jordan Staal, etc. level players of their time.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I'm always puzzled by the lack of support for Elias. He's one of the most underrated stars of the past 30 years.

His career totals aren't overwhelming. But he scored all 1,025 points with a single franchise. Only 46 players in NHL have scored 1,000+ points with one team (Bergeron and Stamkos will join this club very soon), and all but one of them is in the Hall (or likely to end up there).

Elias was a very good two-way player, and he spent his entire career on a team that (generally) played conservatively. I think it's likely his career totals would have been higher, had he played on nearly any other team. He was willing to sacrifice scoring stats to buy into a winning system. (Even then, if I cherry-pick his best years, Elias was 7th in the league in scoring during his prime - 2000 to 2012).

He had a "signature" season in 2001, where he was 3rd in the league in scoring, and 6th in Hart voting (4th among forwards). He was "only" top ten in scoring three time - the same or more than HOF players like Eric Lindros, Doug Gilmour, Sergei Fedorov, Mats Sundin, Brett Hull, Mike Modano, Brendan Shanahan, Daniel Alfredsson, Marian Hossa, Daniel Sedin, Yvan Cournoyer, Bill Barber (let alone bottom-tier HOF forwards like Gillies, Shutt, Andreychuk, Ciccarelli, Nieuwendyk, Gartner, Neely, McDonald, Mullen, LaFontaine, etc).

Elias was a very good playoff performer. When the Devils went to three Stanley Cup finals in the span of four years, he was by far their best forward. Nobody scored more playoff points during the 2000's decade.

I see little separating Elias, Alfredsson and Hossa. It doesn't make sense why two of them are in the Hall, and Elias isn't.
On your cherry picked years as you call them, Hossa and Alfie were third and fourth, and a point apart, vs seventh.
Also doesn’t have the international resume, played
1 game one year, 5 another, and 3 another for 6 points.
Whereas Alfie for example played in 5 Olympics second most, and had 27 points in 26 games, led his team in points the year they won gold.

Alfredsson the only one in the IIHF hall of fame, internationally is also considered for HHOF. Played in 14 international tournaments.

Like you said Elias behind Alfie and Hossa in scoring.
So he will likely get there sometime, just need to be patient.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad