Which is most important for the Canes, chasing a Cup short term or long term success?

Which is most important for the Canes, chasing a Cup short term or long term success?

• Total voters

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
DW recently said the best metric about the playoffs is the uptick in season ticket holders that follows. I am sure they have every KPI locked down re: what each playoff round delivers in addition to revenue such as PR and promotion mileage, too. It's always nice to be a consistent performer and in the thick of it but are fans such as MN really all that thrilled?

JMO, kinda feels like the most recent results may have taken a tiny bit of the shine off and lessened enthusiasm as expectations were high and the end results were a little underwhelming for the casuals given some of the commentary I have seen. And, there's possibly going to be a lot of changes and new faces to sell to them. The fan honeymoon might be entering a different stage with patience more thin. Winning, of course, could fix that.

The whole Covid thing took a shine off for me. The starting/stopping, the bubble, the no fans, etc. I was less invested in this years playoffs (even when the Canes didn't make it in past seasons) than I have been in a long time.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Vasi and Price were both groomed in their organizations. I will continue to make the point that part of the voodoo surrounding goalies, at least as it applies to winning the cup, seems to be related to feeling the organization is your family.

I wonder if it's a bit of chicken and egg? What I mean is, that when a team drafts a goalie that becomes a stud, they usually hold onto them for a very long time, because they are that good.

So are they good so that's why the team keeps them around a long time, or as your suggesting, do they get and stay good because the team grooms them and they feel more comfortable around their "family"? I know there's no way to know for sure how big of an impact the latter has for sure so there's no way to really answer it.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I wonder if it's a bit of chicken and egg? What I mean is, that when a team drafts a goalie that becomes a stud, they usually hold onto them for a very long time, because they are that good.

So are they good so that's why the team keeps them around a long time, or as your suggesting, do they get and stay good because the team grooms them and they feel more comfortable around their "family"? I know there's no way to know for sure how big of an impact the latter has for sure so there's no way to really answer it.

I don’t think Vasi being the best goalie in the world has anything to do with “family”. Trade him to Colorado and they win the cup in a walk next year.

I get the point in general. But that said, still voodoo.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Canes lost to the best team in the world at the moment. Who are 18 million over the cap. In a series where (almost) every game could've been won by Canes. If they could score a fkn goal. They are good as they are at the moment. Overpaying Hamilton would be a mistake that will not happen. With the saved cap they will hopefully be able to to add replacement for him and someone who can score goals for the team during playoff time. Now is the time for Canes to go for the cup.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So, in the spirit of build for the future vs. all in for the cup, if Columbus would take it (and I know they would want more) would you move Jarvis straight up for Laine? Jarvis is a high end, cost controlled asset for years that better fits their future path while Laine would probably be a better fit on the Canes and be ready now for our current window. Does everybody that voted the "future" option still stick with that in this case?

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
So, in the spirit of build for the future vs. all in for the cup, if Columbus would take it (and I know they would want more) would you move Jarvis straight up for Laine? Jarvis is a high end, cost controlled asset for years that better fits their future path while Laine would probably be a better fit on the Canes and be ready now for our current window. Does everybody that voted the "future" option still stick with that in this case?
Laine is young enough to be part of that future too. I’d question whether he’d bounce back and how he’d fit in the cap structure. Tough call

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The issue with Laine is cost IMO. Not sure how we fit him in with what we have now. Svech and Necas needing new deals, as well as figuring out a replacement for Trocheck next year and signing or replacing Dougie.

Moving out Gardiner and Nino would help short term

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I know that Torts was a huge problem, but I would guess that many if not most of the same issues that Laine had in Columbus would present itself here as well. Might not get as toxic as quickly, but I still don't see it ending well.

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I know that Torts was a huge problem, but I would guess that many if not most of the same issues that Laine had in Columbus would present itself here as well. Might not get as toxic as quickly, but I still don't see it ending well.
There would be some similarities. But the major difference is that there is a strong center depth on our team, with at least three that can feed him the puck in scoring areas. He has to be less of a line driver then a shooter here. I think that would make a ton of difference. That said, it could go south. It also may lead to near term future team changes to incorporate his salary and other guys salaries. That's why I thought it would be good to put it in this thread: is the near term gain of someone with his potential in our window now better than a guy with potential like Jarvis who could also be very good, but takes more time and may not be ready before other guys we have now leave?

I don't know the answer. But I'd probably lean to going for it now given the way salaries are going to escalate for our core in the next 3 to five years.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We have the skill to feed him. And I assume big part of the issue is that PoMo and Torts tried to make something out of him that he isn't, a legit power forward.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
The interesting thing here to watch is goaltending. TB and MTL had phenomenal goaltending. Ned was good this year, but it's still a small sample size.

If the Canes don't get at least above average goaltending, going far in the playoffs will be difficult.

FWIW: I'm hard pressed to remember a cup winner that didn't have GREAT goaltending as keys to the win. Good/above average just isn't enough.

btw: if you have a great scouting and development team you can stay away from the dark ages (ie 9 year drought) despite having a high level/cup winning team. Canes were just not good enough in those areas post 2006.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
FWIW: I'm hard pressed to remember a cup winner that didn't have GREAT goaltending as keys to the win. Good/above average just isn't enough.

btw: if you have a great scouting and development team you can stay away from the dark ages (ie 9 year drought) despite having a high level/cup winning team. Canes were just not good enough in those areas post 2006.
The 2010 Cup Finals was Antti Niemi vs Michael Leighton, but point taken

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad