Which Duo Would You Rather Have: Matthews/Kappo or J Hughes/Laine?

Which duo would you rather have?

• Auston Matthews & Kaapo Kakko

• Jack Hughes & Patrick Laine

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Well neither did a lot of the leagues highest scorers before 21 years old. He was over PPG in 50 games on a pretty bad team. Id think he can improve on that considering hes still growing muscle.
High scoring season too. Matthews was significantly better early on through his career and has had an insane development curve. He was a superstar when he entered and has gotten consistently better every year of his career.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Tusks Up

Aug 14, 2022
High scoring season too. Matthews was significantly better early on through his career and has had an insane development curve. He was a superstar when he entered and has gotten consistently better every year of his career.
Doesnt mean Jack cant still be an elite, top level player. The original comment was that Jack cant get anywhere near him, which would be ignoring his potential.

An Art Ross winner or contender for multiple seasons would be pretty close to Matthews. Maybe he never ends up better but I wouldnt put it past him to get pretty close.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Jack can do most of the work and just pass to laine for a one timer

Mathews literally has to do all the work in this duo.

I didn’t take the question to mean that we had to play them together though. I took it just to mean with pair of players would you add to a team/start a team with/etc. Personally I’d start a team with the top 5 player and try to build around him.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I didn’t take the question to mean that we had to play them together though. I took it just to mean with pair of players would you add to a team/start a team with/etc. Personally I’d start a team with the top 5 player and try to build around him.
guess you could interpret it that way. I just think duo means that they play on the same line.🤷‍♂️

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
guess you could interpret it that way. I just think duo means that they play on the same line.🤷‍♂️

Fair enough. It’s not particularly clear when the OP just says “which”. But I think it does affect the answer how you read it

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Matthews is the best player by a mile, he's top 3 in the league which is something I highly doubt Hughes will ever come close to. People are pumping Hughes because he went PPG for 49 games last year, but ignoring his SH% jumped from 6.7% (average of his first 2 seasons) to 15.8% last season. Let's see him go PPG over a full season before trying to put him anywhere near Matthews. As for Laine, there's nothing special about him that he's making up the difference between Matthews and Hughes.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It's possible but he hasn't done anything close to that.
At the same age(20) you could argue pretty easily hughes put up a better season. Without a Mitch marner.

And at younger ages, Matthews body was much more ready for nhl comp, Hughes still had a lot of maturing/growing.

I imagine hughes 21 season will be better than matthews 21.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
At the same age(20) you could argue pretty easily hughes put up a better season. Without a Mitch marner.

And at younger ages, Matthews body was much more ready for nhl comp, Hughes still had a lot of maturing/growing.

Matthews didn't play with Marner when he was that age. They were even on different PP units. Matthews usage under Babcock was idiotic and it was very predictable that his stats would dramatically improve with a new coach.

Matthews physical advantage is also always going to be there. The centres ruling the league now are McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon and Draisaitl. Physical freaks, each one. I don't see Hughes getting to that level so he'll need to be that much smarter and more efficient than those superstars to reach that tier. Not going to be easy.

Last edited:

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021

I don't think you fully grasp how good Matthews is.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
I voted Hughes/Laine because Matthews is paired with a book end. And, despite that, his duo is still ahead. Imagine if he was paired with someone who can actually play hockey.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lavar Ball

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Matthews is the best player but Hughes is also dynamic and a ppg+ caliber guy easy. Not to mention Laine who just put up a ppg pre Gaudreau and likely gets a major boost in goal totals due to Gaudreau.
Kakko has been a non factor so far
Should not be a factor.
If so, I think Matthews can get 170pts on his own.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Only if you disregard league scoring. Matthews was a better scorer relative to the league, and a much more efficient scorer relative to the league at 5v5.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Should not be a factor.
If so, I think Matthews can get 170pts on his own.
Of course its a factor in how people percieve him. Regardless, Hughes as Laines center is an offensive boost over Boone Jenner. Or is that not a factor aswell?

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
People in this thread can keep making a fool out of themselves by calling a 21 year old former number 2 overall pick with numerous clear cut strengths in his game already and obvious room for offensive growth worthless. Just because Kakko hasn't lived up to the hype from his draft year doesn't mean he can't become just as impactful a player as Laine by his age. He will never be the same kind of offensive threat but it''s no surprise Laine is a liability in plenty of areas Kakko has already shown serious promise

Blacephalon

Oct 12, 2018
Yeah I interpreted the question as having them play together. Obviously if your tryna build a team you take the second duo.

People in this thread can keep making a fool out of themselves by calling a 21 year old former number 2 overall pick with numerous clear cut strengths in his game already and obvious room for offensive growth worthless. Just because Kakko hasn't lived up to the hype from his draft year doesn't mean he can't become just as impactful a player as Laine by his age. He will never be the same kind of offensive threat but it''s no surprise Laine is a liability in plenty of areas Kakko has already shown serious promise
Sure maybe Kakko will improve but it doesn’t change the fact that he’s quite bad right now.

Tusks Up

Aug 14, 2022
Just like Jack Hughes, they both have a lot of room to grow. And that doesnt include building muscle or mentally changing as you age.

In terms of both I think pair two has more talent. But taking pair one because of Matthews is fair because Kakko will be a top-6, possibly top line player by 25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad