Which Duo Would You Rather Have: Matthews/Kappo or J Hughes/Laine?

Which duo would you rather have?

• Auston Matthews & Kaapo Kakko

• Jack Hughes & Patrick Laine

Results are only viewable after voting.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I’d take the superstar in Matthews. Maybe Hughes becomes that as well, but Matthews is too good right now and I’m not a big enough fan of Laine to care that you’re getting an extra top line player. You can find someone to complement Matthews even if Kakko doesn’t pan out

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
If contracts come into play pretty easily Hughes over Matthews. Matthews is going to be a UFA soon and command $13+

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Matthews 110 Pts
Kakko 40 Pts

Hughes 90 Pts
Laine 80 Pts

170 pts vs 150 pts. Matthews is the best defensive player here but really Kakko unless he breakout is a pretty big dead weight at the moment

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Matthews 110 Pts
Kakko 40 Pts

Hughes 90 Pts
Laine 80 Pts

170 pts vs 150 pts. Matthews is the best defensive player here but really Kakko unless he breakout is a pretty big dead weight at the moment
It's much easier to find mid-level replacements than a perennial MVP caliber player like Matthews. Hughes could take another step or two, but it's still extremely unlikely he becomes anything close to Matthews.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Matthews is the best player but Hughes is also dynamic and a ppg+ caliber guy easy. Not to mention Laine who just put up a ppg pre Gaudreau and likely gets a major boost in goal totals due to Gaudreau.
Kakko has been a non factor so far

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
I wonder what the agenda was in this pol except to dump on Kakko.

Not that it means anything but I wonder how the voting would have gone with your boy instead of Kakko.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I mean as an asset I'd take hughes-laine because they are signed long term. Matthews is only guaranteed 2 more years.

But if I'm being asked who I would take if I could have them all for the next 10 years I'd probably take matthews-kakko since I believe matthews is the best and that kakko will improve.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'd take Matthews/nothing just because it's a bit cheaper on the cap and cap space is a premium at this stage. I'm also assuming I could deal Kakko to someone because they believe he still has untapped potential.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
As separate assets it might be a close question but as proposed linemates I think Hughes + Laine would be insanely good.

Tusks Up

Aug 14, 2022
It's much easier to find mid-level replacements than a perennial MVP caliber player like Matthews. Hughes could take another step or two, but it's still extremely unlikely he becomes anything close to Matthews.
Jack Hughes probably wont ever be scoring 40+. Maybe a one off season or two. But Jack should probably contend for Art Ross titles for a good while with the way hes projecting.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Jack Hughes probably wont ever be scoring 40+. Maybe a one off season or two. But Jack should probably contend for Art Ross titles for a good while with the way hes projecting.
It's possible but he hasn't done anything close to that.

Tusks Up

Aug 14, 2022
It's possible but he hasn't done anything close to that.
Well neither did a lot of the leagues highest scorers before 21 years old. He was over PPG in 50 games on a pretty bad team. Id think he can improve on that considering hes still growing muscle.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I wonder what the agenda was in this pol except to dump on Kakko.

Not that it means anything but I wonder how the voting would have gone with your boy instead of Kakko.
I was looking at old polls and this is actually just a rehash of it, Matthews/Kakko won the first one in a landslide. Thought it was an interesting comparison

Reactions: klingsor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad