which dman would you want the leafs to take with their 1st rd pick?

Which dmen should the leafs take?

• Total voters

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Right now the pick is 26OA, although the leafs have played more games than most other teams.
Lets assume a range of 23-27

Jett Woo (RD) 6'0/209
24pts in 39 games in the WHL

Ryan Merkley (RD) 5'11/165
63pts in 59 games in the OHL

Mattias Samuelsson (LD) 6'3/205
22pts in 43 games with the US under 18 team

KAndre Miller (LD) 6'3/205
22pts in 47 games with the US under 18 team

Calen Addison (RD) 5'9/180

61pts in 63 games in the WHL

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Mattias Samuelsson or possibly a couple of guys who could be available there that you didn't list; Jared McIsaac or Nils Lundkvist.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Merkley is the boom/bust gamble to take I think.

Elite skillset that needs bigtime defensive polish but hes also one of the youngest players in the draft.

Reactions: Jeypic

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Merkley is the boom/bust gamble to take I think.

Elite skillset that needs bigtime defensive polish but hes also one of the youngest players in the draft.
His skillset is undeniable but there has been a lot of chatter about him being VERY immature and un-coachable. Think Josh Ho-Sang.

Reactions: Jeypic

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Mattias Samuelsson or possibly a couple of guys who could be available there that you didn't list; Jared McIsaac or Nils Lundkvist.

I havent seen McIsaac on any lists as low as pick 23. Lundqvist I think will be a 2nd rd pick

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Grab a center in the 1st and keep going for project D in the 2nd/3rd.

We don't have a glaring need for prospect defense right now but we have nothing at center. Take a Robert Thomas type now so you have flexibility with Kadri when it comes time to re-sign. Lines up perfectly with Kadri's contract - 1 year juniors, 2 years AHL, broken in at wing in year 4.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
His skillset is undeniable but there has been a lot of chatter about him being VERY immature and un-coachable. Think Josh Ho-Sang.

Leave it up to Hunter to sort it out I guess. Hard to tell when the chatter is a problem or not. Nylander was supposedly a prima donna and Laine threatened a coaches life right?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Leave it up to Hunter to sort it out I guess. Hard to tell when the chatter is a problem or not. Nylander was supposedly a prima donna and Laine threatened a coaches life right?
Fair.

I'd be all over choosing Merkley is they think they can sort him out. I've watched him quite a bit and his skill is undeniable. He can be very lazy on the defensive side of the puck.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yeah, hard to judge with teenagers. Not only is it hard to know the extent to which it is true (like with Nylander), but teens will be teens and thankfully, most grow up. From what I've heard, Merkley makes Ho-Sang sound like a good kid.

As for his talent level, it's there for sure. However, there seem to be really no risk evaluation in his game. That never seem to even enter the equation with him, which raises some questions about his hockey intelligence.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

IN this case, the chatter is legit. As talented as he is, he hasn't even been on his teams roster some nights, as the coaches have sat him.

Don't take my word for it... read what Guelph fans have to say..

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/guelph-storm-2017-18-season-thread-part-1.2206577/page-43
------------------------------

Can I say Dahlin?

Ok, second choice for D is Noah Dodson... though unfortunately he has really climbed the ranks. At one point he was right around our pick, but could go top ten now.

Adam Ginning is a kid worth looking at I'd think.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Who knows what happens on draft day. Maybe we trade up for a prospect/the right to negotiate with JVR or something and snag a Dodson or Bouchard or maybe even another center we want to target.....or maybe theres a faller we really like.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Grab a center in the 1st and keep going for project D in the 2nd/3rd.

We don't have a glaring need for prospect defense right now but we have nothing at center. Take a Robert Thomas type now so you have flexibility with Kadri when it comes time to re-sign. Lines up perfectly with Kadri's contract - 1 year juniors, 2 years AHL, broken in at wing in year 4.

If the leafs move Nylander to C, Matthews-Nylander-Kadri down the middle for the next 4 years.
the leafs NHL D signed after next season consists of Rielly,Zaitsev,Dermott. Just because we have Liljegren and a bunch of bottom pairing types in Borgman/Rosen/Nielsen doesn't mean we don't need another solid D prospect, especially if a Merkely type slides

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
IN this case, the chatter is legit. As talented as he is, he hasn't even been on his teams roster some nights, as the coaches have sat him.

Don't take my word for it... read what Guelph fans have to say..

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/guelph-storm-2017-18-season-thread-part-1.2206577/page-43
------------------------------

Can I say Dahlin?

Ok, second choice for D is Noah Dodson... though unfortunately he has really climbed the ranks. At one point he was right around our pick, but could go top ten now.

Adam Ginning is a kid worth looking at I'd think.

reminds me of the liljegren situation last year.
Markley was a couple weeks away from being 2019 draft eligible. tough to predict what he will be at 22-23 based on what he is doing as a 17 year old. maturity will come

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
How about a Centre, we already have some decent D in the system. Plus from what I am reading it is very likely we will be signing Ozhiganov.

TB has built such a strong team because they usually draft C and let them play wing if they can’t cut it there.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Who knows what happens on draft day. Maybe we trade up for a prospect/the right to negotiate with JVR or something and snag a Dodson or Bouchard or maybe even another center we want to target.....or maybe theres a faller we really like.
Jvr rights get a 5th. No way he gets a 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad