which dman would you want the leafs to take with their 1st rd pick?

Which dmen should the leafs take?

• Total voters

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Absolutely do not want Merkley unless it's a second round pick. You want raw upside without the headache? Go Miller. If you want the steadiest defensively, go for Samuelson, if you want the all rounder, pick Woo.

Reactions: Duckrider

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
wouldn't touch merkley with a 7th. attitude problems apparently worse than a nylander et al. and doesn't listen to the coach and gets benched for games. no thanks.

in order:

lundqvist, mcisaac, samuelsson, woo, sandin

Last edited:

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
would also rather go with a centre or high skilled winger like:

denisenko, kravtsov, rupari, kotkaniemi, thomas, in that order. velano or farabee may drop as well.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If they keep the pick, I'd rather they go for a centre.

Leafs have better depth at defence than forward when it comes to prospects.

Johnsson, Grundstrom, Korshkov and Bracco are their only legitimate forward prospects and none are centres.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I really like Woo and Addison.

If Merkley is on the board when we pick, that’s something I’ll rely 100% on Hunter. He’d have more insight into the attitude issues than any of us. The kid is an easy top 10, possibly top 5 talent outside of that.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Woo. No contest for me. That's the NHLer, his play is very confident, NHL size, good hands etc.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I really like Woo and Addison.

If Merkley is on the board when we pick, that’s something I’ll rely 100% on Hunter. He’d have more insight into the attitude issues than any of us. The kid is an easy top 10, possibly top 5 talent outside of that.

Merkley probably won't be available @ 2x and am not sure why he was listed. I sort of ignored it.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I want Rasmus Sandin! Having amazing first year in OHL. When Timmins went down to injury Sandin took up the slack. Yes, he is left hand shot but figured by the time he might make NHL our defense core will be different.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I gotta say, this is the first time in quiet a while where there will be a lot of guys available that I am interested in.

Only players right now that I'm not eager on are Martin Kaut, Dominik Bokk, and Serron Noel, though it's possible I just don't know enough as I haven't really focused on them at all.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
It's Woo for me. Concussions are a concern but the guy adds an element few of our dmen do: physicality. Very smart and steady, aggressive on gaps, loves to hit, good first pass, a little bit of skill, and as an added bonus he's a right D.

Think a slightly less skilled but more physical Dermott type of all-around defenseman. Could be the perfect partner for Rielly going forward.

I wouldn't be unhappy with Miller though. Huge upside, but very raw.

Reactions: Jeypic and thewave

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I gotta say, this is the first time in quiet a while where there will be a lot of guys available that I am interested in.

Only players right now that I'm not eager on are Martin Kaut, Dominik Bokk, and Serron Noel, though it's possible I just don't know enough as I haven't really focused on them at all.

This is the opposite me for me this year, though maybe we just aren't close enough to the draft. Last year I was focused on Valimaki, Thomas, Tolvanen, Poehling and Timmins. This year I really don't have one I truly like and I'm not overly in love with this draft at whole. From our prospective, but if I were a tanking team too.

I also wouldn't mind trading down. I'm not usually for that, I'd usually want to trade up for quality over quantity. But this year I think we will be too far down to make anything worth trading up. I'd be down to trade down and have 3 2nds.

As for the Poll, I'd take Woo or Samuelsson.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This is the opposite me for me this year, though maybe we just aren't close enough to the draft. Last year I was focused on Valimaki, Thomas, Tolvanen, Poehling and Timmins. This year I really don't have one I truly like and I'm not overly in love with this draft at whole. From our prospective, but if I were a tanking team too.

I also wouldn't mind trading down. I'm not usually for that, I'd usually want to trade up for quality over quantity. But this year I think we will be too far down to make anything worth trading up. I'd be down to trade down and have 3 2nds.

As for the Poll, I'd take Woo or Samuelsson.

I can see a deal with Detroit where the Leafs move their 1st rounder to Detroit for the 34th and 37th overall picks (currently). Montreal also has 4 2nd round picks, so they could an option as well.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Seems a bit extreme.
At the beginning of the year I thought he’d be great if he fell to us, then I did some more research.
If read about his complete lack of give-a-damn attitude towards his teammates and coaching staff, the fact that he blows the D-zone first despite being a defence man, his selfish behaviour, no thanks.
I’ll give a pass to a coachable talent who needs to learn his craft, but not to a selfish player who doesn’t care about anything but his stats

Reactions: Walshy7

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
There's also the fact the Leafs are an organization that doesn't mess around. Could they take a player like Merkley and put him on the path of the straight and narrow?
If the Leafs think they can cut him down to size and build him back up into a professional hockey player, this could be a steal for them with such a late pick. Although I'm
sure they'll take a overage Russian goaltender that nobody has heard about instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad