Line Combos: Which defenseman do you see in the Mtl Canadiens lineup in 2026-2027?

Which defenseman do you see in the Mtl Canadiens lineup in 2026-2027?

• Matheson

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Guhle

Votes: 188 98.9%
  • Reinbacher

Votes: 176 92.6%
  • Hutson

Votes: 170 89.5%
  • Xhekaj

Votes: 125 65.8%
  • Barron

Votes: 92 48.4%
  • Struble

Votes: 122 64.2%
  • Kovacevic

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • Lindstrom

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Harris

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • Norlinder

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Mailloux

Votes: 122 64.2%
  • Trudeau

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Engstrom

Votes: 64 33.7%
  • Konyushkov

Votes: 31 16.3%
  • Nurmi

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Tourigny

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
That's the real question: Which top defense prospect will be traded?

Habs have a lot to like in their pool of upcoming D, but the smart move is to leverage one or two for a top forward prospect. I don't want to lose Mailloux or Xhekaj, but they're the kind of players Hughes could sell high.
Starting 84-85 season Habs has Chelios, Tom Kurvers, Svoboda, 3rd season Ludwig

Mike Lalor the following season

- Kurvers suffered an eye injury first half of 84-85 season despite Kurvers-Chelios looking like a stud future pairing … and never was the same again

Within 2-seasons only Chelios remained and Svoboda was on his last legs as a Hab

Things change quickly…

Last edited:

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
That's the real question: Which top defense prospect will be traded?

Habs have a lot to like in their pool of upcoming D, but the smart move is to leverage one or two for a top forward prospect. I don't want to lose Mailloux or Xhekaj, but they're the kind of players Hughes could sell high.
yes he will have too according to Hughes ( interview last week ) we should see Hutson with the Habs after his ncaa season then Reinbacher next season with us or Laval plus we have Mailloux & Xhekaj in the A and Harris coming back from injury

Savard needs to go this deadline or offseason and i guess we can start Reinbacher and Hutson with the Rocket but Harris has to go and i would check the market on Xhekaj i love what he brings but if some team overpays a young fwd with potentiel i make the trade

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Hopefully no Matheson and Kovacevic.
Why so down on Kovacevic? He’s a bit lost on offence but he’s one of the few who generally looks good on D.

Matheson needs fewer minutes, less responsibility and some coaching. He definitely needs some better surrounding players.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
So according to the polls right now, the top 6/7 in a few years should/will probably look like this to start the season:

Hutson (22) - Reinbacher (22)
Guhle (24) - Mailloux (23)
Struble (25) - Xhekaj (25)
Barron (24)

Would you be happy with this defence core?

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

- Kurvers suffered an eye injury first half of 84-85 season despite Kurvers-Chelios looking like a stud future pairing … and never was the same again

Within 2-seasons only Chelios remained and Svoboda was on his last legs as a Hab

Things change quickly…
Fun fact: Tom Kurvers eventually went to the Devils. The Leafs traded for him and gave up a first rounder. Kurvers did nothing for them and they promptly sunk to the bottom of the standings. They were so bad that the pick they gave up was looking like it was going to turn out to be a first overall. And that was the year a generational talent was on the board: Eric Lindros.

The Leafs mgmt didn’t want to be known as the team who traded away the next Geordie Howe. So when it was looking like they were going to finish last they made another panic move giving more stuff up to move to - 2nd last. :laugh:

And... that pick turned into none other than Scott Niedermeyer.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Things change quickly…
True... injuries, development, regression - variables we can never predict. Still, we don't have room for all those young defensemen. Somebody needs to go. Hopefully, Hughes can perform another magic trick and turn a D into another Kirby Dach, rather than a Jonathan Drouin.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Reinbacher, Guhle, Hutson, Mailloux, Struble, Xhakej and Konyushkov
It's also a pretty good group for offense, defense and roughness. They ain't small either.

Matheson, Harris, Engstrom and Barron are all good trade bait. I might be wrong about Barron but I really hate his defensive game.

Hutson 6.6 - Reinbacher 6.2
Guhle 6.3 - Mailloux 6.3
Xhakej 6.4 - Konyushkov 5.11
Struble 6.0

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's also a pretty good group for offense, defense and roughness. They ain't small either.

Matheson, Harris, Engstrom and Barron are all good trade bait. I might be wrong about Barron but I really hate his defensive game.

Guhle 6.3 - Mailloux 6.3
Struble 6.0

Engstrom might be one of the best we have.

Reactions: Sherwoo9

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Engstrom might be one of the best we have.

From stuff I've read he's pretty good, I haven't watched enough of him tho so I can't really argue on that. I'll just say that from what I saw I don't expect him to be better than Guhle and Hutson on the left side and then i'd prefer some toughness for our 3rd pair.

One thing is for sure, we're stacked.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
From stuff I've read he's pretty good, I haven't watched enough of him tho so I can't really argue on that. I'll just say that from what I saw I don't expect him to be better than Guhle and Hutson on the left side and then i'd prefer some toughness for our 3rd pair.

One thing is for sure, we're stacked.

Engstrom has played quite a bit on his right side.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Harris erasure around here is insane.. feel like if you aren't a physical player or you don't put up big points then people think there's no point to the player.

Agreed, although I think it is more of a case of having so many good d prospects who are better at one or both of these traits. I am a fan of the way he processes the game along with his mobility and composure. I doubt we will be able to get much for him but I like the idea of keeping him around as a bottom pairing/7th dman in the future. He could be more than that if he can expand his offensive game as he has diligently improved his strength and has the work ethic and drive to continue improving.

I have always preferred Struble and it is showing very clearly that he is strong as an ox and is a great skater. Harris still struggles to box out bigger players and loses alot more 1 on 1 battles than Struble but I think he has a chance to be a long term piece and the same people who were calling Struble a bust last year at North Eastern are now crapping on Harris. The truth is that Harris is a very good young defender that any team would like to have in their system and I think HuGo/MSL like him alot more than people think.

Xhekaj/Struble - Engstrom feels like nice complimentary fits to me....

Reactions: Guillermo

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Engstrom may have a very bright future as well and I wouldn't entirely dismiss Harris as he has the IQ and skating to go along with his professionalism, leadership and character.
Harris is a Jack of some ´ trades; master of none. He’s a dime a dozen kind of D

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
True... injuries, development, regression - variables we can never predict. Still, we don't have room for all those young defensemen. Somebody needs to go. Hopefully, Hughes can perform another magic trick and turn a D into another Kirby Dach, rather than a Jonathan Drouin.
So long as we stop looking for someone to be that next French superstar we should be alright.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Harris is a Jack of some ´ trades; master of none. He’s a dime a dozen kind of D

That is a very harsh statement.

I believe that Harris will become a legitimate #5/6 dman on a contender and players like that are not a dime a dozen. We just have such ridiculous depth with quality young dmen, specifically left handed one's that this may be a tough roster to crack in a few years.

Reactions: Habs Icing
Apr 28, 2010
So according to the polls right now, the top 6/7 in a few years should/will probably look like this to start the season:

Hutson (22) - Reinbacher (22)
Guhle (24) - Mailloux (23)
Struble (25) - Xhekaj (25)
Barron (24)

Would you be happy with this defence core?
yes. but i have guhle-mailloux as first pairing

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015

Guhle 6.3 - Mailloux 6.3
Struble 6.0
Can't wait to see the 6.6 Hutson make his debut!:rolleyes:

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020

Really?
Like many others, I dont know enough about him to form an opinions, but out of curiosity, how does he compare to Norlinder at the same stage of development.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Really?
Like many others, I dont know enough about him to form an opinions, but out of curiosity, how does he compare to Norlinder at the same stage of development.

Favorably. Norlinder had Flashes but never really polished his defensive game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad