Line Combos: Which defenseman do you see in the Mtl Canadiens lineup in 2026-2027?

Which defenseman do you see in the Mtl Canadiens lineup in 2026-2027?

• Matheson

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • Guhle

Votes: 188 98.9%
  • Reinbacher

Votes: 176 92.6%
  • Hutson

Votes: 170 89.5%
  • Xhekaj

Votes: 125 65.8%
  • Barron

Votes: 92 48.4%
  • Struble

Votes: 122 64.2%
  • Kovacevic

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • Lindstrom

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Harris

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • Norlinder

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Mailloux

Votes: 122 64.2%
  • Trudeau

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Engstrom

Votes: 64 33.7%
  • Konyushkov

Votes: 31 16.3%
  • Nurmi

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Tourigny

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Certainly on the team: Guhle - Reinbacher
Probably on the team: Hutson - Xhekaj
Could be on the team: Harris - Mallioux

Those are tiers of likelihood, but could also be fun pairings. Lots of interesting prospects remaining too.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I have no idea what you mean by that but our quality defensive prospect pool is probably triple the size of theirs before they won the Cup.

I just don't expect the 2027 Habs roster to be filled out with names on this list. I do see Guhle/Reinbacher as obvious cornerstones, and am also trying to will Hutson into superstardom. The remaining guys will be a home run pick from 2025, two UFAs, and David Savard. :sarcasm:

(Vegas was merely an example of a successful team off the top of my head that has had the same D group for ~4 seasons)

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
I just don't expect the 2027 Habs roster to be filled out with names on this list. I do see Guhle/Reinbacher as obvious cornerstones, and am also trying to will Hutson into superstardom. The remaining guys will be a home run pick from 2025, two UFAs, and David Savard. :sarcasm:

(Vegas was merely an example of a successful team off the top of my head that has had the same D group for ~4 seasons)
One thing is certain, the Canadian has never had such depth on defense in the last 15-20 years and if we keep only 6 of these players, it offers a lot of quality material to trade for good forwards.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Reinbacher passed on 100 point guy to draft him. So Hughes must be sky high on him.

Struble our best at the moment. So strong chance he's there.

Hutson scouts have him as our top prospect. Pretty good chance they right.

Wifi if Hutson on team you need him. Even as 7th defense man.

Guhle should have matured by then.

Barron could be modern day Matheson.

Mailloux so much skill. Behind in development but understandable

Sookind

Aug 19, 2020
I have no doubts about Reinbacher,just hope Hutson makes the transition well,especially in defense. For me the ideal top 6 would be:

Hutson - Reinbacher
Ghule - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Konyushkov
but Struble/Barron can easily do it too.

Reactions: Nevins

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I don't have a clear idea of how good Konyushkov and Engstrom can be.

I hope that Hughes is willing to move on from former client Matheson when the time is right.

I voted Guhle, Reinbacher, Hutson, Struble, Mailloux, Xhekaj.

Reactions: Nevins

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I have no doubts about Reinbacher,just hope Hutson makes the transition well,especially in defense. For me the ideal top 6 would be:

Hutson - Reinbacher
Ghule - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Konyushkov
but Struble/Barron can easily do it too.

Engstrom may have a very bright future as well and I wouldn't entirely dismiss Harris as he has the IQ and skating to go along with his professionalism, leadership and character.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Engstrom may have a very bright future as well and I wouldn't entirely dismiss Harris as he has the IQ and skating to go along with his professionalism, leadership and character.

Harris erasure around here is insane.. feel like if you aren't a physical player or you don't put up big points then people think there's no point to the player.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
The most obvious are Guhle, Reinbacher and Hutson

Then you have Xhekaj despite his most recent stint in the AHL, he will most likely still be here.

With the way Struble is playing and the fact he is a physical monster, it is likely he could still be here too if he keeps on improving. Him and Xhekaj on the same blueline would be scary.

That's already 5. One would think Hughes/Gorton would likely acquire some veteran defense for the top-4 especially if we are trying to compete. That could either be Matheson (if still good) or someone from trade/free agency (Dougie Hamilton to New Jersey, Chychrun to Ottawa, Trouba to NYR come to mind as similar moves recently)

So where does that leave Mailloux, Barron, Harris, Engstrom, Konyushkov etc.? The logic would be that Hughes would pull of at least one major trade using some of his defensemen as bait. The rest will stay either as depth or will be traded/waived when they figure out there is just no space for them.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Harris erasure around here is insane.. feel like if you aren't a physical player or you don't put up big points then people think there's no point to the player.

The kid consistently puts out fires before they start... still that left side is getting very crowded...

Reactions: morhilane

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Guhle, Rein, Hutson, Mailloux, Barron, Strubble

If I had to guess now. But all depends what happens with the development of the younger guys, Stubble and Barron become the odd man out!

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I don't think we end up with both Mailloux and Barron long term on the right side, unless one of them becomes as good defensively as they are offensively. If one of them becomes a solid two-way Dman, that D will be monstruous.

I think Guhle, Reinbacher and Struble end up being solid defensively but not sure one of them will becoma that elite shutdown Dman that you need on the PK and late in the game when leading by 1 goal.

Offensively this squad will be fire, no doubt about that. Defensively, i'm not that confident.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Guhle & Reinbacher im sure will be

Hutson,Mailloux and Engstrom i think will be on the team also

so crowded on def tho HuGo will need to make some trades
That's the real question: Which top defense prospect will be traded?

Habs have a lot to like in their pool of upcoming D, but the smart move is to leverage one or two for a top forward prospect. I don't want to lose Mailloux or Xhekaj, but they're the kind of players Hughes could sell high.

Reactions: WinterLion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad