Which contract is worse for the next 7-8 years: Nurse at 9M or Sergachev at 8.5M?

Which contract is worse?

• Nurse at 9M

Votes: 194 67.6%
  • Sergachev at 8.5M

Votes: 40 13.9%
  • Both evenly brutal

Votes: 49 17.1%
  • What are you talking about? Both are terrific contracts

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sergachev has been key in two Cups. He’s still very young and is going to even get better.
I like Nurse too.
I think a more fair comparison would be Nurse v Seth Jones. Of which I’d much prefer Nurse.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Nurse's deal is so much worse. It's as if the Muppets were put in charge of the Oilers when that deal was offered.

Edit: The Oiler's front office should aspire to hire the Muppets, after the past 15-years they've had.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The Sergachev deal is not good, but you will certainly see Sergachev put up more offense as he spends more time playing with the top six guys with McD gone PLUS Tampa can afford it since they are paying Hedman like a #2.

The Oilers can't hope that Nurse will put up more production with better players. He already plays with some of the best. And they can't afford to make him their #2.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Nurse because its actually 9.25...otherwise....no it was still going to be Nurse.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I bet Nurse will shut up a lot of haters this season. The team will be good and he'll be doing a lot of the heavy lifting if we aren't getting a 2LD. A lot of people who always hated Nurse or the Oilers are riding his poor playoffs to bolster that opinion, and his injury is just a footnote. But we'll see

Sergachev will look better because he won't have McDonagh ahead of him. So this whole thread might be funny by November

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Nurse is not a bad player of course, but he's just not close to his price tag. He doesn't impact the game like a high-end #1D. He's more of a complimentary minute muncher who you want paired with your high-end #1D. He's not dynamic offensively either or anything.

Sergachev is at least dynamic offensively and while he probably won't ever be a #1dman either, there's still some uptapped potential and unknown with him, unlike Nurse. Plus you get more younger and prime years out of his contract.

I'd take him over Nurse.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Both terrible. Gun to my head, I'd say that Nurse's contract is worse but really, both are garbage

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
It's Nurse. Sergachev has an obvious thank you for the cups bonus tho.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Serg is a lucky guy. Imagine being a 2nd/3rd pairing guy because you're playing behind a stacked D corps and you get paid $8.5M when you haven't even been asked to play actual defense.

Now he'll play a full year beside one of the best defensive d men in the league who will inevitably cover up for his horrendous defense and make him look good while he's pinching and putting up 50 points. Oh yeah he'll also still be going against lesser QoC than Nurse, like usual.

Nurse had the hardest deployment out of almost anyone in the NHL last year and came out positive but HF doesn't care about analytics anymore! Their last memory of Nurse is him playing injured and looking horrible so that must be who he is.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Nurse at $9.25 million is a really bad contract imo. So him.
Sergachev is 3 years younger and has more upside imo.
Neither is a good contract but I think Nurse is quite a bit worse.

Reactions: kerrabria

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Sergachev is better, signed for less and proven to be a contributing factor of a 2x SC champ. Both are overpaid but Nurse moreso. He always reminds me of a poor man's Phaneuf whenever I watch him play. Outside of one year, he's never been more than a 3-4 D-man that's now getting paid $9 million because of the living in Edmonton tax.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Both are bad, but Nurse is clearly a better defenseman by more than the marginal 750K difference in price, but Im not surprised by the results since this place loves to harp on Oilers players, and those whose flaws get more exposure in hard minutes and Sergachev has regularly received the reputation bump of being on a winner. I’m not a big fan of Nurse, but the guy is a solid minute muncher who can do a bit of everything and plays tough minutes. Sergachev might need up being more valuable if he can improve as he has more untapped potential than Nurse, but as it stands he hasn’t had to play anywhere near the type of hard minutes Nurse does, which means he can hide a bit on a great team. He’s decent defensively but inconsistent and his decision making offensively isn’t good enough to be the major plus he seems to get credit for.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Both are bad contracts.

Nurse at least against higher competition. I am sure he would good playing behind Hedman and McDonough.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
They’re both equally bad but I consider both to be similar level dmen so I’m going to go with Nurse for this poll

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Everyone taking a dump on Nurse while he's down. In reality, he had an outstanding year prior and he likely falls in between what he was in the 2 prior seasons. A solid #2 defensemen capable of contributing on both ends of the ice when healthy. While 9+ mil is definitely an overpayment for him, it's not as absurd as some people are making it out to be.

Reactions: Mr Positive

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Everyone taking a dump on Nurse while he's down. In reality, he had an outstanding year prior and he likely falls in between what he was in the 2 prior seasons. A solid #2 defensemen capable of contributing on both ends of the ice when healthy. While 9+ mil is definitely an overpayment for him, it's not as absurd as some people are making it out to be.
Or maybe he just had the luxury of playing the same 6 teams over and over two seasons ago as opposed to last season when every team had a crack at him. It's pretty ironic that his best season came when the Oilers were playing 6 other teams all year. If anything, last season and every season but the one with the Canadian division should mean more when evaluating him.

Oilers are who they are though so they paid him off a career season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad